• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wigan to Liverpool via Warrington

Status
Not open for further replies.

snail

Established Member
According to the Routeing Guide Wigan to Liverpool is valid via maps WG and CP. WG is via Warrington and Hunts Cross, CP is the direct route via Huyton.

An Anytime Day Return is £9.30, with no restrictions according to brfares.com. But if I put Wigan NW to Liverpool Lime St via Warrington into the NR website it says I need 2 tickets for each leg, total £19.00.

Is the NR website wrong? Would I be challenged if I get a Warrington Central to Lime St train on a Wigan Stations to Liverpool Stations ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TOCDriver

According to the Routeing Guide Wigan to Liverpool is valid via maps WG and CP. WG is via Warrington and Hunts Cross, CP is the direct route via Huyton.

An Anytime Day Return is £9.30, with no restrictions according to brfares.com. But if I put Wigan NW to Liverpool Lime St via Warrington into the NR website it says I need 2 tickets for each leg, total £19.00.

Is the NR website wrong? Would I be challenged if I get a Warrington Central to Lime St train on a Wigan Stations to Liverpool Stations ticket?

I have no doubt whatsoever you would be challenged. There are plenty of direct services from Wigan North Western to Lime Street

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have no doubt whatsoever you would be challenged. There are plenty of direct services from Wigan North Western to Lime Street

That's not what he asked though.

Yes, the "hidden" version of the Routeing Guide may well not have it as a permitted route, however the public version is clear that Liverpool Group to Wigan Group is perfectly permitted via Warrington Group.

sheff1

Established Member
I have no doubt whatsoever you would be challenged.

You have no doubt ?

How can you be so certain that every guard working these services is unaware of the provisions of the Routeing Guide ?

I regularly travel on this section with a far less 'reasonable', but valid, ticket and have never been challenged.

Last edited:

snail

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. I very much doubt I would be challenged as it's a logical (but longer) alternative to the direct route but I wanted to check if others had done anything similar.

Last edited:

Aldaniti

I've used a Wigan to Liverpool Day Return ticket twice in recent weeks via Warrington - on both TPX and EMT services. The guard on each train has happily clipped the tickets. As a backup, I booked online and took a printed itinery with me but have never required them. Timewise, its only a few minutes longer than the all stations via St Helens service and means you can avoid exposing yourself to the squalor of Northern Rail. :D

TOCDriver

Well, I'm quite surprised by the responses. (but not by being shouted down at which appears to be quite common on these forums) I certainly would challenge it based on my knowledge of the routing and the fact that it would take significantly longer going via Warrington. But then again, I'm not a guard.

tony_mac

Established Member
I certainly would challenge it based on my knowledge of the routing and the fact that it would take significantly longer going via Warrington. But then again, I'm not a guard.

Depending on what time you arrive, and how fast you can walk, it can easily be faster to travel via Warrington - particularly in the evening. Ticketing websites will happily suggest the 19:30 from Wigan via Warrington rather than wait for the slow 20:08 direct.

The travel time is about the same as the fast direct services, and quite a bit quicker than the stoppers. It's only really the walk between stations that makes it an odd route.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I certainly would challenge it based on my knowledge of the routing
What is your knowledge of the Routeing Guide?
and the fact that it would take significantly longer going via Warrington
Journey time isn't a factor in routeing permissions. If the fastest route was always permitted, and significantly slower routes were permitted, that would drastically alter the permitted routeings for many flows.

Status
Not open for further replies.