• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC HST Leeds - Swanage farewell tour 26/09/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Hi all. I hope you're ok !

Here's some information on the farewell XC HST railtour...

Famous trains to be withdawn in October

Modern Railways and CrossCountry are to run a High Speed Train from Leeds to Swanage on 26 September to mark the operator’s impending withdrawal of the trains.

The trip follows the success of last year’s visit to the Severn Valley Railway. Pick-up points en route will enable passengers to join the train for a ride on the picturesque Swanage Railway – a destination seldom visited by HSTs in recent years on charters.

HST to Swanage: Modern Railway's and CrossCountry's farewell to these famous trains takes place on 26 September.
HST to Swanage: Modern Railway's and CrossCountry's farewell to these famous trains takes place on 26 September. Modern Railways
Modern Railways
Editor Philip Sherratt said: ‘We were thrilled by the success of last year’s train with CrossCountry and other rail industry partners, so to say farewell to these much-loved trains on inter-city services in England, we wanted to take one somewhere very special.

‘What could be better than a trip to the seaside in what will hopefully be a beautiful Indian Summer? We’ll be announcing further details as soon as we have them, but please keep checking the website for information as tickets are likely to sell fast when they go on sale.’

Final timings are still to be confirmed, after which tickets will go on sale: click the link to check the page for further information as it is updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashleeey1990

Seen this posted:
43208 repainted into BR Blue/Grey (now carrying number 43008) and 43207 into IC Swallow

Hopefully they do some carriages while they are at it - seems a bit wasteful for a couple months use mind!

43184spotter

Seen this posted:
43208 repainted into BR Blue/Grey (now carrying number 43008) and 43207 into IC Swallow

Hopefully they do some carriages while they are at it - seems a bit wasteful for a couple months use mind!
Epic!!!

Poor 43184 though not getting a part in the tour?

Last edited:

On Moderation
The problem with doing the trailers is that they cannot apply the BR liveries as they were as they would not be PRM compliant.

Trainlog

Was lucky enough to have had rode on a Cross country HST, I can understand that they need to be withdrawn - but i did prefer the interior and design of them to the voyagers.

I'm very glad that they will have a nice send off tour:)

PTR 444

Established Member
This looks really cool! I’ve never ridden on an HST so would love to seize the opportunity if I can get the day off work. Just hoping it will call at Bournemouth or Poole en-route to Swanage and back.

JKF

Hoping this comes through Bristol, it’s always been part of the XC network, but have a feeling that might be a tricky connection to Swanage and it’ll probably go through Reading or something.

Liam L

Paths for the tour is already in.

Assuming this is a day trip you are looking at a long one, a minimum of 7hrs each way I would guess.
06:35 off Leeds / 23:49 back into Leeds if what I've posted above are set to be the confirmed timings

Russel

Established Member
This looks like a really good day out, I'm not normally one for rail tours, but this I'm interested in!

PTR 444

Established Member
Will it be possible to do a short journey, say Wareham or Poole to Bournemouth or Reading on this tour? Bit odd that it isn’t calling at Southampton Central though.

Iskra

Established Member
Good to have a tour picking up in Sheffield and going somewhere a bit different for us Northerners, although I’m already booked on a tour on the 20th and 23rd so another long one might be a bit of a stretch.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ha, good one :lol:

It will probably be a charity railtour like the last one, costing something in the region of £150.
Agreed - the SVR one was over priced imo ( even acknowledging the charridy aspect of the trip) but this one is much longer, off the (HST) beaten track and a farewell tour so expect the price to be high. I might even pay it!

On Moderation
Are priv rate fares likely to be available?
Why would they be, especially as it is for charity. If they can fill the train without offering priv - which is likely - then offering priv is rather pointless.

InkyScrolls

Why would they be, especially as it is for charity. If they can fill the train without offering priv - which is likely - then offering priv is rather pointless.
I think the sarcasm of my comment passed you by! If they can fill it without (and I'm sure they will) then that's excellent.

On Moderation
I think the sarcasm of my comment passed you by! If they can fill it without (and I'm sure they will) then that's excellent.
Bit difficult to tell sarcasm when it is both written and there’s no emoji with it.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Early start and late finish from Leeds or Wakefield, but might try and get tickets for this when they go on sale. Hopefully I'll have my own transport by then so won't have to faff about with taxis.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Will it be possible to do a short journey, say Wareham or Poole to Bournemouth or Reading on this tour? Bit odd that it isn’t calling at Southampton Central though.

I assume you would physically be able to board at one of those stations (although they are clearly set-down points, not pick-up) but if no part fares are available you would pay full tour fare. Not really odd that it's not calling at Soton as it's too far west for a pick-up point and of limited interest as a set-down, compared to somewhere like Bournemouth for a day out.

On Moderation
I assume you would physically be able to board at one of those stations (although they are clearly set-down points, not pick-up) but if no part fares are available you would pay full tour fare. Not really odd that it's not calling at Soton as it's too far west for a pick-up point and of limited interest as a set-down, compared to somewhere like Bournemouth for a day out.
Looking at the links above from RTT it looks like there may be a fill-in Swanage-Bournemouth and return? Certainly show as 1Z headcodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.