• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager Refurbishment

Christmas

For a colour palette that none but a minority will ever hear of, that doesn't seem like an issue.
Well some people might disagree over exactly what an 'English rose' actually means. It could be WHITE!

These hues already existed anyway, complete with Pantone number. All XC has done is try to cover all bases with the names.

I have to hope you are wrong, as the majority of seating in current voyager (priority seating aside) is completely unsuitable for anyone over 6ft. To reduce it further would make the train frankly un usable for anyone over 6ft. The priority seats would need rebranding "for taller customers only"!
It's a medical fact that children are taller now than when the Voyagers were introduced, so to reduce their legroom further is just stupidity.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GoneSouth

Well some people might disagree over exactly what an 'English rose' actually means. It could be WHITE!

These hues already existed anyway, complete with Pantone number. All XC has done is try to cover all bases with the names.
If they’ve gone for Cornish cream, they might as well have gone for raspberry jam with it!

On Moderation
There was nothing to stop the German government investing, but they chose not to either.
Other than the contract stating everything had to be signed off by the UK government...

occone

I look forward to receiving delay repay vouchers attached to their newly rebranded letterheads, assuming those get the treatment too!

(end sarcasm)

The only bit of the livery I don't "get" are the curved swooshes; the tilted X is so iconic for XC and I don't really understand how the swooshes fit in. The end vehicles look great, the cream X on pink is quite classy.

The swooshes look a bit like some clipart dragged in to add some interest and it gives me strong Arriva vibes.

I'm just glad they aren't rebranding as "crosscountry railways" like every other operator seems to be doing - they run trains, not the railway itself!

Last edited:

PigScroll

If the front/rear-most doors were chosen to be one of the greys instead of the turquoise I think it would clash somewhat less. Other than that I'm a fan!

Thunderer

A totally tasteless and hideous colour scheme…nothing matches and it looks awful. Moribund grey interior just like the GWR AT300’s…what is it with their obsession with grey? Those seats also look thin and hard. Its a fine example on how to de-improve an already awful train. Thankfully I now avoid XC now the HST’s have been retired, so there is little chance I will have to suffer travelling in these hideous things at a way over inflated price.

Travelmonkey

A totally tasteless and hideous colour scheme…nothing matches and it looks awful. Moribund grey interior just like the GWR AT300’s…what is it with their obsession with grey? .

Not to derail too much but generics, with the constant flip flopping and will they won't they with GBR & relationalisation it means it can fit to whatever specifics the future government puts onto our railways.

The voyagers have been long over due a refurb & refresh and the avanti ones were done quite nicely I find, unfortunately it's too early to judge wait till there is some sets back in service in the new scheme before jumping to conclusions. Sadly we are stuck with the voyagers for the foreseeable but they are not the biggest problem it's the fact there isn't enough of them to meet the large demand of passengers. The ex avantis will be welcome but its a case of shut up and wait for them as the Hitachi trains replacing them aren't quite ready yet.

Ideally in a perfect world the ex tpe nova 3 sets that are in warm storage would be used to bolster services maintained in Manchester freeing more voyagers to double on the Angalo>Scotish runs,

GoneSouth

A totally tasteless and hideous colour scheme…nothing matches and it looks awful. Moribund grey interior just like the GWR AT300’s…what is it with their obsession with grey? Those seats also look thin and hard. Its a fine example on how to de-improve an already awful train. Thankfully I now avoid XC now the HST’s have been retired, so there is little chance I will have to suffer travelling in these hideous things at a way over inflated price.
I’d like to hear what you think is a better 125 mph diesel train on the British network. There isn’t one. The build quality of the hitachi is awful and even feels unsafe to me on the GWR route. Voyagers are solid performers with a relatively comfortable passenger experience (overcrowding is not the fault of the train but those who under specced and underspent)

We agree on the colour scheme though, that bright pink just shouldn’t be on the side of any vehicle! We know this already, otherwise the roads would be full of garish pink cars. Let’s assume that the drivers of the UK buy cars that they either like or are comfortable with its exterior colour. They are predominantly blacks, grays, silver, whites and blues, with the odd splash of bright colours thrown in. Maybe we use that as a starting point, something fairly neutral with a splash of bright colour on the doors and front end etc, and a brightly coloured logo. That seems to be what they’ve done with the middle vehicles and it seems pretty professional looking to me, in complete contrast with the nonsense on the front and back end!

As for the gray interior, it’s actually quite nice. Maybe a thin colour thread running through it would help lift it a bit but I’m no interior designer! Still, a huge improvement on the mismatching colour scheme they have at the moment. Some of the brighter schemes on other trains are just hideous, yes, looking at you Stagecoach with your sky blue walls and bright red seats. Anyway, non bright colours are definitely more relaxing.

Also can’t disagree about the extortionate fares sadly!

Killingworth

Established Member
I’d like to hear what you think is a better 125 mph diesel train on the British network. There isn’t one. The build quality of the hitachi is awful and even feels unsafe to me on the GWR route. Voyagers are solid performers with a relatively comfortable passenger experience (overcrowding is not the fault of the train but those who under specced and underspent)

We agree on the colour scheme though, that bright pink just shouldn’t be on the side of any vehicle! We know this already, otherwise the roads would be full of garish pink cars. Let’s assume that the drivers of the UK buy cars that they either like or are comfortable with its exterior colour. They are predominantly blacks, grays, silver, whites and blues, with the odd splash of bright colours thrown in. Maybe we use that as a starting point, something fairly neutral with a splash of bright colour on the doors and front end etc, and a brightly coloured logo. That seems to be what they’ve done with the middle vehicles and it seems pretty professional looking to me, in complete contrast with the nonsense on the front and back end!

As for the gray interior, it’s actually quite nice. Maybe a thin colour thread running through it would help lift it a bit but I’m no interior designer! Still, a huge improvement on the mismatching colour scheme they have at the moment. Some of the brighter schemes on other trains are just hideous, yes, looking at you Stagecoach with your sky blue walls and bright red seats. Anyway, non bright colours are definitely more relaxing.

Also can’t disagree about the extortionate fares sadly!
Exterior colours. OK, accepting the pink/red - but those doors!

Reminds me of the old cars you sometimes see driving around with a totally different colour door, bonnet or boot lid taken from a scrapyard to replace a damaged part and not resprayed to match.

danbarjon

I'm going to be quite out there but I think the new paint job looks quite cool. I've seen a photo on X and the middle coaches are in a grey colour which I think looks quite nice.

tomoufc

Other than the contract stating everything had to be signed off by the UK government...
Why would the UK government not welcome free money from the German government? After all, it's been working the other way for years!

Goldfish62

Established Member
Visuals of the new interiors are in the current issue of Modern Railways. Fisa Lean seats to a similar spec as the EMR 810s are to be used.

On Moderation
Why would the UK government not welcome free money from the German government? After all, it's been working the other way for years!
Because it wouldn’t really be free would it? If someone puts money into a commercial operation they expect something back for it.

AirRail

The planned interior is actually one of the smartest looking refurbs i've seen in a long time if ever.

The livery could simply look so much better by removing the turquoise doors from the red sections. Instead have the differentiated door paneling in this area in the shade of grey. It would instantly make it look much more smart and classy. Overall it's not as garish as we were led to believe, atleast by those earlier teases - thankfully!

GoneSouth

This has probably been answered elsewhere but why do they have to have yellow fronts these days? TPE amongst others don’t. I think it was simply something to do with the lights, but if that was the case aren’t the same modern lights being fitted to older trains, and would that remove the need to have a yellow front?

skyhigh

Established Member
This has probably been answered elsewhere but why do they have to have yellow fronts these days? TPE amongst others don’t. I think it was simply something to do with the lights, but if that was the case aren’t the same modern lights being fitted to older trains, and would that remove the need to have a yellow front?
Just because you can have something other than a yellow front, doesn't mean they can't choose to have/retain a yellow front.

DaveyJones

To have a Non Yellow Front End, the train has to have headlights which are compliant to the latest standard. An interesting perspective is if you were to replace the headlights and assess if the change makes the railway more or less safe

ChrisC

Established Member
There are currently a number of threads discussing various refurbishments both XC and others including EMR. I may have missed it but have there been any comments about how a future Labour Government may view these refurbishments in light of their proposals for some degree of nationalisation and Great British Railways?

I‘m not thinking that the refurbishments won’t happen, and can’t see any real problems with varying internal refurbishments. Incidentally I do like the look of the XC interior refurbishment. What I would expect is that Great British Railways will bring about more corporate standard exterior look to trains throughout the network. What I’m actually saying is that after all the discussion in this thread about the new XC livery, will it actually happen in its currently proposed form if we get a Labour government at the next election?

Moderators please feel free to move this if I have posted it in the wrong place.

skyhigh

Established Member
What I’m actually saying is that after all the discussion in this thread about the new XC livery, will it actually happen in its currently proposed form if we get a Labour government at the next election?
Yes. The contracts etc for the work will already have been let so unless a new government is in place before work starts and they're willing to pay any penalties for cancelling/amending the work it will go ahead as planned.

dk1

Veteran Member
Just because you can have something other than a yellow front, doesn't mean they can't choose to have/retain a yellow front.

We have compliant headlights on our 720/745/755 fleet but we also have wonderful yellow fronts.

irish_rail

Established Member
We have compliant headlights on our 720/745/755 fleet but we also have wonderful yellow fronts.
Like. Those none yellow fronts in my opinion look awful. I would also be interested in knowing what the long term effects on train drivers will be with these retina burning high intensity headlights that now blind us on a regular basis.

Russel

Regarding the yellow fronts on the Voyagers, that is my only complaint about the new livery, the yellow should continue up the side of the windscreen to the roof as it does now, finishing in line with the bottom of the windscreen doesn't sit right.

D365

Veteran Member
There was recent forum speculation that this had something to do with level crossings..?

dk1

Veteran Member
Like. Those none yellow fronts in my opinion look awful. I would also be interested in knowing what the long term effects on train drivers will be with these retina burning high intensity headlights that now blind us on a regular basis.

I do have all mine on dip during darkness and if I remember as I wait & depart at Liverpool Street.