• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken X

When me dad died many years ago some well meaning person said "don't worry, you'll see him again one day" Looking in the full length mirror at the hairdressers recently I realised what they meant. :lol:

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
As we get old(er) I'm not sure if we get more miserable, or that we see more of what we think is wrong with everything.
I’m claiming both ;)
When me dad died many years ago some well meaning person said "don't worry, you'll see him again one day" Looking in the full length mirror at the hairdressers recently I realised what they meant. :lol:
:lol:

nw1

Established Member
I saw a few pages of a Radio Times from 1973 on the web. Every programme was like it was on yesterday. The titles, cast, or the sports, presenters etc. Peter West introducing the cricket. I must have been 16 and I'm looking at it 50 years later.

Know what you mean. The equivalent when I was about the same age would have been Sue Lawley and Nicholas Witchell (sp?) doing the 6pm news and Michael Buerk at 9pm, and the likes of Ian McCaskill, Michael Fish, John Kettley and Bill Giles doing the weather.
Again, all seems like yesterday.

Talking of which, you know when you're getting old when you remember the BBC nine o'clock news.

Slightly more recent, but these days you're probably getting old if you can remember Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight.

Gloster

Established Member
Know what you mean. The equivalent when I was about the same age would have been Sue Lawley and Nicholas Witchell (sp?) doing the 6pm news and Michael Buerk at 9pm, and the likes of Ian McCaskill, Michael Fish, John Kettley and Bill Giles doing the weather.
Again, all seems like yesterday.

Talking of which, you know when you're getting old when you remember the BBC nine o'clock news.

Slightly more recent, but these days you're probably getting old if you can remember Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight.

At least in those days all the newsreaders and weathermen (they were all men) just read the news or told you what the weather might be like. Nowadays we seem to have to hear everything about their love-life or holidays: nobody asked Bert Foord what he had been doing over the weekend.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
At least in those days all the newsreaders and weathermen (they were all men) just read the news or told you what the weather might be like. Nowadays we seem to have to hear everything about their love-life or holidays: nobody asked Bert Foord what he had been doing over the weekend.
This is true. A lot more padding, waffle and trailers on BBC nowadays. Probably training us to get accustomed to adverts.....

Being suddenly subject to falls at home.
Ouch. That means go to the doctors as soon as possible - seriously.

Or lay off the malt whisky / ale - hopefully.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Just as well they didn't ask Frank Bough :D

dangie

Established Member
At least in those days all the newsreaders and weathermen (they were all men) just read the news or told you what the weather might be like...
Never understand why the first half of a weather forecast consists of the presenters saying what the previous days weather was like.

I bloody know what it was like, I was in it….. :{

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Never understand why the first half of a weather forecast consists of the presenters saying what the previous days weather was like.
That'll be the only part of the 'forecast' that they've likely got right?! :s

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Hmm. Maybe you know your getting old when you take an interest in the weather forecast.

Cannot see the up and coming next generations being so weather concerned - they are less dependant on it. Everything is delivered to the front door including food - waste goes down that pipe. TV / Internet might be affected by a lack of wind/sun and a protracted lack of rain might affect that toilet. Seems the generation below me will use the car in favour of a ten minute walk even on a nice day. And then for exercise they join a gym - weather they then use that gym is not so definite. So I fear weather is irrelevant for the younger generation ?.

D6130

Established Member
....or, If like me, when you remember when all 'television sets' were black-and-white and there were only two channels. (Apologies if we've had this one already....my memory doesn't go that far back!) :'(

Killingworth

Established Member
....or, If like me, when you remember when all 'television sets' were black-and-white and there were only two channels. (Apologies if we've had this one already....my memory doesn't go that far back!) :'(

Two channels? Some of us recall the days of only one, and having to go next door to watch even that!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

You know your getting old when "your memory doesn't go that far back". ;)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It goes far enough back to remember black-and-white TV....but not far enough back to remember what I have or have not posted on this thread over the past few weeks. :|
I still have a portable B&W TV in my attic, last used in 1988 I believe. :smile:

birchesgreen

Established Member
Hmm. Maybe you know your getting old when you take an interest in the weather forecast.

Cannot see the up and coming next generations being so weather concerned - they are less dependant on it. Everything is delivered to the front door including food - waste goes down that pipe. TV / Internet might be affected by a lack of wind/sun and a protracted lack of rain might affect that toilet. Seems the generation below me will use the car in favour of a ten minute walk even on a nice day. And then for exercise they join a gym - weather they then use that gym is not so definite. So I fear weather is irrelevant for the younger generation ?.
Or they have apps on their phones and can see the forecast any time.

AM9

Veteran Member
Two channels? Some of us recall the days of only one, and having to go next door to watch even that!
Yes, I remember when the pace of TV was disctated by how long the potter's wheel ran or the time it took from Victoria to Brighton on a pre-war (39-45) 3rd rail EMU.

Gloster

Established Member
Yes, I remember when the pace of TV was disctated by how long the potter's wheel ran or the time it took from Victoria to Brighton on a pre-war (39-45) 3rd rail EMU.

The Potter’s Wheel music, about 5 1/2 minutes long, was a piece by Charles Williams called ‘The Young Ballerina’. It was a subtle choice as there were quite a few points where it could easily be faded and it was pleasant, but not too catchy for what was an Interlude: they never did finish the pot, though. Charles Williams produced a number of pieces, including The Devil’s Galop (‘Dick Barton - Special Agent’) and the signature tune to Friday Night is Music Night, which is still going.

The London to Brighton music was Sabre Jet by David Hart, real name William Granville Chapman (1900-1968). Little more seems to be known about him.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The London to Brighton music was Sabre Jet by David Hart, real name William Granville Chapman (1900-1968). Little more seems to be known about him.
Died in August 1968 in the Isle of Wight apparently, but, other than that, he does seem to be something of mystery man.

al78

Established Member

I bloody know what it was like, I was in it….. :{
As an introduction and to put things into context, particularly if there has been significant/interesting weather in places.

I don't agree and the stats for car ownership don't support your assertions:

"British people aged 60 years and older were the age group with the highest share of car ownership, according to a 2017 Statista survey. The most likely to buy a car were 18-29 year-olds, with 22 percent of respondents reporting they did not own a car yet, but were planning on purchasing one. The survey was conducted as part of Statista’s Global Consumer Survey on consumption and media usage in 49 different countries."

The use of a two tonne machine to do the equivalent of a 10 minute walk has got nothing to do with demograhics, it is to do with the car-centric attitude of the UK population, not helped by poor public transport, transport policies that have favoured motorists often at the expense of vulnerable road users, the silly assertion that cycling is dangerous (which is really an excuse, not a solid logical reason outside of extreme situations), and a general desire to live like Americans rather than Europeans, hence why we have some of the most congested roads in Europe.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Or they have apps on their phones and can see the forecast any time.
Eeeew, too much weather then !.

(What are these apps you speak of !).
The Potter’s Wheel music, about 5 1/2 minutes long, was a piece by Charles Williams called ‘The Young Ballerina’. It was a subtle choice as there were quite a few points where it could easily be faded and it was pleasant, but not too catchy for what was an Interlude: they never did finish the pot, though. Charles Williams produced a number of pieces, including The Devil’s Galop (‘Dick Barton - Special Agent’) and the signature tune to Friday Night is Music Night, which is still going.

My bold. Crickey you have just stimulated a long dormant brain cell.

Howardh

Established Member

When either ITV or BBC was in closedown during the afternoons in the 60's they used to show "test" films, presumably for TV engineers to set the picture. I vividly remembered one about a little girl in Italy who couldn't go to the fair and had to work in dad's petrol station instead, with different characters appearing. In my kidhood we used to drive through Italy and it struck a chord!! Thought it had been lost and gone for ever, but....

...of course not!! If anyone of a certain age used to watch those transmission films, enjoy!!

I used the words "TV Test Transmissions films sixties" on youtube, and down the list was one from the USA entitled "Watch Out For Homosexuals". Ye gods...sometimes I thank the fact we're 60 years on from that! Mind you, back to the film and I so miss those days of petrol stations in the middle of nowhere rather than finding a Tesco or Morrison's.

Last edited: