• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ZEBRA 2 Discussion

Llandudno

Established Member
How does the Derbyshire bid qualify as rural? Only a small amount of three of those services could be classed as rural* - indeed, the Stagecoach services that are actually rural seem to be excluded from those which will be operated by EVs.

Part of my is happy that we are getting EVs here, indeed quite surprised as Chesterfield normally gets older buses cascaded, but I'm also slightly concerned as the criteria seemed to indicate previous winners would not get priority in future bidding rounds, meaning there is less chance of the actual rural network getting funding in future.

I'm interested how the timetables will change as a result of charging requirements - the distances each vehicle operates on the X17 in particular meet or exceed the range of current EVs. Will we see 'short' services or passengers having to change vehicle? Or longer layovers in Sheffield if they are able to make use of the chargers recently installed there.

* I'd say the 1 beyond Bolsover, the 77 between Clowne and Worksop, and the X17 south of Chesterfield could arguably be classed as rural. The rest is very much urban.
I guess you could throw in a couple of trips on the 65 to/from Buxton and maybe the Peak Sightseer could be ‘electrified!’

Then there are also the myriad of electric bus services promised when (if) Peak Resort at Unstone ever gets built…!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

padbus

How does the Derbyshire bid qualify as rural? Only a small amount of three of those services could be classed as rural* - indeed, the Stagecoach services that are actually rural seem to be excluded from those which will be operated by EVs.
It's not in London, therefore it's rural.

Hyebone

Part of my is happy that we are getting EVs here, indeed quite surprised as Chesterfield normally gets older buses cascaded, but I'm also slightly concerned as the criteria seemed to indicate previous winners would not get priority in future bidding rounds, meaning there is less chance of the actual rural network getting funding in future.

I'm interested how the timetables will change as a result of charging requirements - the distances each vehicle operates on the X17 in particular meet or exceed the range of current EVs. Will we see 'short' services or passengers having to change vehicle? Or longer layovers in Sheffield if they are able to make use of the chargers recently installed there.

* I'd say the 1 beyond Bolsover, the 77 between Clowne and Worksop, and the X17 south of Chesterfield could arguably be classed as rural. The rest is very much urban.
Oddly the 15, 16, 48 and 49 are excluded? Those certainly have stretches that could be considered rural.

Teapot42

Oddly the 15, 16, 48 and 49 are excluded? Those certainly have stretches that could be considered rural.
From what I can tell, the 15/16, 48/49, 65/66 and 157/8/9/60 are the only ones not the be electrified. Plus the 90 but for different reasons.

I'd assume because these are Derbyshire County Council contracts rather than commercial services. Certainly their main purpose is to serve rural communities, unlike any other Chesterfield services where anything that might be considered rural is coincidental to the route.

The 90 is excluded due to a low bridge at Barrow Hill, although it looks like the E100EV is low enough to get under. Whether this doesn't have the capacity for the route, or whether it came too late to be included I don't know. It might also be that alternatives needed to be specified and it seems to be the only EV low enough to pass under.

I guess you could throw in a couple of trips on the 65 to/from Buxton and maybe the Peak Sightseer could be ‘electrified!’

Then there are also the myriad of electric bus services promised when (if) Peak Resort at Unstone ever gets built…!
I'm sure the 65/66 could be electrified, but they aren't included in the bid. They certainly could convert the open top buses to EVs, it would give a strong message as the Peak District does seem to be pushing sustainability. Now the depot is being upgraded maybe that'll come one winter soon. After all, the buses themselves are getting on so even trundling around the Peak District they can't last forever.

From what I've read the services from Peak Resort will be a contract award, however this does put Stagecoach in a very strong position as they will already have experience and a suitable depot. That said, I'm a little surprised they didn't look to relocate the depot to Sheepbridge. The current site is much too large for their requirements and would be very popular for housing. Sheepbridge has lots of empty land, good power provision from the many factories that are / used to be there and would be an ideal location for a new, modern and cheaper to run site.

Like you, I wonder if Peak Resort will ever happen. It was starting to look promising when they stuck that awkward roundabout in, but I was reading they've scaled the plans back again so who knows. Main issue I have with it is that traffic will almost certainly head to the Peak District via Cutthorpe and the back way. No matter what they 'advise', people have sat-navs which will take them the shortest way. And even then, the route through Chesterfield struggles enough on a nice summers day. We really need a bypass from the west of town to deliver traffic either to the A61 at Sheepbridge or by Wingerworth, but I can't see that happening.

Any bus provision they make will end up stuck in the same queues as there is no real scope for bus priority, which will reduce the attraction of using it over the car.

Last edited:

station_road

There is a definition of what qualifies as rural on the application page

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...mission-bus-funding-zebra-2#rural-eligibility

Rural areas will be defined using the government Rural Urban Classification. This classification is used to distinguish rural and urban areas and defines areas as rural if they have a population of fewer than 10,000 residents.

For ZEBRA 2, LTAs should refer to the Rural Urban Classification and Rural Urban Classification 2011 lookup tables for local authorities areas, which classifies local authority districts on a 6-point scale based on the share of the resident population that resides in rural areas.

Teapot42

There is a definition of what qualifies as rural on the application page

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...mission-bus-funding-zebra-2#rural-eligibility

Of the areas served, only Derbyshire Dales counts as rural, and very little of the mileage runs there. The last couple of miles of the X17 from just outside Matlock to Wirksworth. Chesterfield and Derbyshire Dales - which compromise the bulk of the mileage in Derbyshire, and Sheffield, all count as urban. Either they are very lax and only a tiny part needs to be rural, or someone has pulled a fast one with this bid.

Edit - and the extension to Wirksworth is only funded for 3 years by BSIP money so no guarantee anything but an hourly X17 running about 2 miles in a rural area by the time the EVs arrive.

Last edited:

Fox192

I’m assuming Stagecoach Hull are going for BYD/E400 and East Yorkshire are going for Volvo with mix of double and single decks.

Last edited by a moderator:

aswilliamsuk

Of the areas served, only Derbyshire Dales counts as rural, and very little of the mileage runs there. The last couple of miles of the X17 from just outside Matlock to Wirksworth. Chesterfield and Derbyshire Dales - which compromise the bulk of the mileage in Derbyshire, and Sheffield, all count as urban. Either they are very lax and only a tiny part needs to be rural, or someone has pulled a fast one with this bid.

Edit - and the extension to Wirksworth is only funded for 3 years by BSIP money so no guarantee anything but an hourly X17 running about 2 miles in a rural area by the time the EVs arrive.
The key bit of the guidance (from the link above):

"To be eligible to apply for funding for ZEBs in rural areas:

• LTAs must not have received funding from the ZEBRA scheme already
  • if a unitary authority, the LTA must be classified as ‘Mainly Rural’, ‘Largely Rural’ or ‘Urban with Significant Rural’
  • if an upper tier authority or a combined authority, at least one of the local authority districts or combined authority members must be classified as ‘Mainly Rural’, ‘Largely Rural’ or ‘Urban with Significant Rural’"
Following the links to the look-up tables, Derbyshire is counted as "Urban with Significant Rural" - which thus means the rural definition counts.

JD2168

I’m assuming Stagecoach Hull are going for BYD/E400 and East Yorkshire are going for Volvo with mix of double and single decks.

Stagecoach might go for the Enviro 400 EV integral as the BYD version can be short on range

aswilliamsuk

Stagecoach might go for the Enviro 400 EV integral as the BYD version can be short on range
Certainly most of the Stagecoach bids were clear that Enviro 400EVs - the new design currently starting to be delivered to Oxford - were first choice (with BZLs as the second option).

Eyersey468

Established Member
It hasn't been decided yet what EY will buy. Last I heard Go Ahead were getting quotes, presumably they will put a bulk order in as several Go Ahead op Co's were successful with Zebra 2

Teapot42

The key bit of the guidance (from the link above):

"To be eligible to apply for funding for ZEBs in rural areas:

• LTAs must not have received funding from the ZEBRA scheme already
  • if a unitary authority, the LTA must be classified as ‘Mainly Rural’, ‘Largely Rural’ or ‘Urban with Significant Rural’
  • if an upper tier authority or a combined authority, at least one of the local authority districts or combined authority members must be classified as ‘Mainly Rural’, ‘Largely Rural’ or ‘Urban with Significant Rural’"
Following the links to the look-up tables, Derbyshire is counted as "Urban with Significant Rural" - which thus means the rural definition counts.
Thanks, that explains it, but also possibly highlights a problem with how it was set up. Most councils of any size are going to have some rural districts. If the funding being applied for won't serve those districts then it seems a bit of a loophole. And as mentioned, I'd imagine Derbyshire won't be able to apply again for rural funding in future, meaning actual rural operations will now be harder to decarbonise.

I do wonder however, under their new MD Stagecoach do seem to be working with DCC to extract as much funding as possible. I wonder if they are planning to expand further in to more rural services, possibly with some of the vehicles freed up once the new EVs come online.

Russel

Logically I would say a follow on of the Electroliner's at Leicester considering there will probably be another batch going there.

Yes you're probably right, Electroliners seem to be the current go-to choice for EV deckers for Arriva, I can't think of any ADL EVs they have outside of London.

It'll be a nice upgrade to the current E400s used which are starting to show their age.