• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK First Class Lounge Guide

Brucey

I wouldnt rely on Coventry lounge at the moment, i was in there Yesterday and they had nothing....

Only the coffee machine. No soft drinks, biscuits or crisps.

Birmingham International on the other hand is always stocked up.

The plan I was making gives me quite a bit of time at COV so I'll buy myself a single at COV and if the selection is poor, I'll hop onto the train and head to BHI. My connection calls at both stations, so it doesn't really matter where I end up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ascot

Established Member
I'm currently typing up the guide for the bar but the embarrassing part is I've never took note of the brands apart from the spirits (only thing I drink there). Here's the rough list I got so far, fill in the gaps:

Spirits @£2.50 per shot
Gin (Beefeater)
Whiskey (Grouse)
Rum (Bacardi)
Vodka (Smirnoff)
I remember seeing someone with a Brandy too which could of been Three Barrels?

Beers & Wines @£3 a can/glass
Lager (??)
Bitter (??)
Cider (??)
White (??)
Red (??)
Rose (??)

Champagne @£35 a bottle (even for Travellers)
Was a Brut of sorts but the bottle was soon removed after the 4 of us.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'm sure we do, but you don't want to drink that crap. Have a nice pet of Real Ale instead. :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
I apologise for going off topic, but do they have Coors Light and Bud Light in the UK?

Bud Light I think we may have once had, but it can't have been very popular, but we do have Coors Light - and that's very refreshing. Very weak, which is why I often had it at a lunchtime in the pub so I wasn't really sleepy on returning to the office!

sonic2009

Established Member
On a side note :

I did see a notice today at the Virgin lounge at BHM, saying that all children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an Adult.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Surely if your 16 or over you're an adult though, :lol:

Not really. Only over 18.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Got an email from East Coast offering 50% off First and Standard Advance fares booked before midnight 27th April for travel between 8th of May and 13th July.

This is very annoying as I've already booked two FC trips during that time period: one to York and back, and one to Newcastle and back! :-x

http://tickets.eastcoast.co.uk/ec/en/landing/PinPromotionLanding?id=aprilprospects&&isAllowed=False

Code: SAVE50

I'm not sure if it works for everyone though.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Oops. :oops:

I was just looking at that thread and wondering why it wasn't there.

WCMLaddict

Something I noticed yesterday in VT lounge at Euston (it never bothered me but I must have had a bad day yesterday ;) )

How badly designed is the male toilet there! Urinals are placed almost next to the entry doors so whenever someone opens the entry doors, it leaves the people using urinals in open view from outside. On the other side of urinals you have sinks and mirror which makes the whole thing even more uncomfortable.
Than you have the hand dryers. Who the hell installed them so low?! I have to bend in half to be able to use them and only 7 yo kids wouldn't have to do so to use them.
The last thing is that VT seem to be trying to copy in the lounge toilets the athmosphere from their trains. They stink awfully!

Rant over. Today is going to be a good day :D

calc7

Established Member
The last thing is that VT seem to be trying to copy in the lounge toilets the athmosphere from their trains. They stink awfully!

The cup half-full way of looking at this is they're preparing you for the glorious stink that awaits. Particularly if you're unfortunate enough to be sitting in the low-numbered coach J seats. <D

All Line Rover

Established Member
The cup half-full way of looking at this is they're preparing you for the glorious stink that awaits. Particularly if you're unfortunate enough to be sitting in the low-numbered coach J seats. <D

So THAT's why they put all the penny-pinching AP holders there! ;)

calc7

Established Member
So THAT's why they put all the penny-pinching AP holders there! ;)

It is true, my last few Virgin APs have been low J seats. Or G01/02, I get those terribly often too. Needless to say I usually go and park myself in K.

WCMLaddict

It is true, my last few Virgin APs have been low J seats. Or G01/02, I get those terribly often too. Needless to say I usually go and park myself in K.

I also tend to sit in the 'Staff coach" <D as there are usually no reservations in it.
Plus it isn't a 'go through' coach and the food is still warm :)

All Line Rover

Established Member
Virgin have got back to me about accepting tickets to Stockport at the Manchester Piccadilly First Class lounge. They've said that staff give priority to customers making longer distance journeys and/or have a long wait, especially when the lounge is busy. So don't buy an FDS to Stockport with the expectation that you will definitely be allowed in!

Virgin said that this decision was made at a "local level" (I'm assuming this is because Manchester has a relatively small lounge considering the number of customers it gets), and as far as I am aware this does not apply at any other stations.

Seacook

Virgin have got back to me about accepting tickets to Stockport at the Manchester Piccadilly First Class lounge. They've said that staff give priority to customers making longer distance journeys and/or have a long wait, especially when the lounge is busy. So don't buy an FDS to Stockport with the expectation that you will definitely be allowed in!

Virgin said that this decision was made at a "local level" (I'm assuming this is because Manchester has a relatively small lounge considering the number of customers it gets), and as far as I am aware this does not apply at any other stations.

All FC tickets are equal, but some FC tickets are more equal than others?

WCMLaddict

It is very tiny! I would say there is seating space for 25 people at most. I can see it being very busy but nevertheless I would be disappointed if wasn't allowed in with a FC ticket regardless of the destination.

Ascot

Established Member

Oddly enough I've never had any problems with this even on a busy day. Out of interest how many other people have had this problem apart from ALR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Line Rover

Established Member
Oddly enough I've never had any problems with this even on a busy day. Out of interest how many other people have had this problem apart from ALR?

It's only happened to me twice (as usually I have an FOR from Crewe), but twice was enough to make me enquire about it.

What's annoying is that they refuse entry on the intercom, preventing you from speaking face to face. I find that gaining entry to First Class lounges is much easier when you can speak face to face. ;)

Ascot

Established Member
Update for this evening is the bar at Euston with a link to fill in the gaps! I've added a stock image for now which is open for an artistic replacement. (Yes it's Gordon's & yes it's in a glass & no it's not taken in the VT lounge).

Brucey

I used the new lounge at King's Cross today with the 50 point online redemption.

There is no reception desk as such, you simply enter and the assistant may come and ask for your ticket at some stage. I noticed also that the toilets were separate from the lounge.

The complementaries were all as expected: tea/coffee, orange juice, apple juice, 330ml cans of Coca Cola and Diet Coke, bottles of still and sparkling water, two types of biscuit, expensive-looking ready salted crisps, a selection of fruit and a copy of The Independent. Toilets were very clean and had a hand soap with separate moisturiser.

The assistant was restocking the fridges when I arrived and the lounge looked fairly busy (someone at every table). As usual, I appeared to be the only one eating any fruit!

I didn't take any photos as it seemed rude whilst there were people relaxing.

I was impressed. Wouldn't pay a fiver, but I'd definitely spend another 50 reward points on this.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'm due to use the King's Cross lounge a week on Tuesday, so I'll see if I can sneak a snap with my iPhone 4 (if I mute it so it doesn't make the shutter noise I think I can do it without attracting any attention).

I too am making use of the 50 points lounge pass. I'm mulling over whether to apply for another one to use when I return to London a week later, as somewhere to wait for my next train from St. Pancras next door.

Edit: The toilets were separate in the previous lounge. I would (and did) pay £5 to go in there (the previous lounge). I did in my last strip with EC (in the previous lounge). It's a much nicer place to wait than the main station; quieter and more comfortable. I also like the exclusivity of it. :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oh and I mentioned before about the NRM artefacts that are supposed to be on display in the lounge. I found some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allansphotos/6881518452/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/allansphotos/6881518448/in/photostream

Photos nothing to do with me I might add. The guy's also got a couple of pictures of the lounge itself in his photostream.

Last edited:

bengolding

When I used the Kings Cross Lounge last week, the staff were in the kitchen so I just walked in with my Anytime ticket. While it has a nice contemporary look, I preferred the layout of the previous Lounge next to York Way. It's also a bit of a trek if I want to use it after arriving. Staff seem to have changed too - I don't recognise the older faces from the previous 2 Lounges. Toilets are an improvement but keep them to yourself as clearly anyone 'in the know' can use them for free without having to use the mainline station toilets!

district

Have you missed the Business Premier/Carte Blanche lounge at Ashford International for Eurostar? It's small, but there nonetheless.

district

I have! I thought they mothballed that?

Sorry, I didn't realise. It was there when I worked there (year 10 work experience)... but that was 2010.

My apologies.

National Rail Enquiries says that there is no First Class lounge at this station. Roll your mouse over the first symbol in the ribbon below the station address.

Yes, apologies. It was there when I worked for Eurostar as part of work experience back in year 10.