• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Colne to Skipton Rail Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny

Established Member
They don't have to be new jobs necessarily - just the usual turn over of existing work. And there's also the possibility of work opportunities in Leeds from Colne, which would likely be quicker via Skipton.

Looking at NRE, the leg between Burnley and Leeds alone via the existing route is around an hour and a quarter, and that's without any interchange time and doubling back towards Accrington. The longest direct time from Skipton to Leeds that I can find is 43 min's (34 for the express) so it's not hard to see how a direct train via Skipton could open up a new world of employment there.

But then again some people have made up their minds against new rail whatever case you make :|.

Apart from the grocer's apostrophe, there is one hidden flaw: the 1h+ time from Burnley to Leeds is due to being routed via Bradford Interchange - this could easily be thrashed if the route was fast via Dewsbury. This itself suggests that the demand just isn't there. Besides, Skipton is no closer to Colne than Keighley - closer to Leeds on the same line. The gradients between Colne than Keighley might have been a problem for steam, but not an electric. Now that would be a good new rail route - except SELRAP don't care about that do they?

As for the social benefits, what jobs are there that could justify the fare a long-distance season ticket, that the people of Colne could do? Probably very few; I would imagine that few people with professional qualifications (apart from healthcare) would stick around there; the damage is done and has been for a very long time. So the only ones are the unemployed, who would be at risk of being browbeaten by the dole office into taking jobs based on these proposed services when the gain would be wiped out by the train fare.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oswyntail

Established Member
.... Besides, Skipton is no closer to Colne than Keighley - closer to Leeds on the same line. ..... Now that would be a good new rail route - except SELRAP don't care about that do they?
No, because you would be cutting one of the major settlements off the route, as well as negating the possibility of extension of services. Daft suggestion, I'm afraid. Rail travel should not simply be assessed on end-to-end numbers.

....As for the social benefits, what jobs are there that could justify the fare a long-distance season ticket, that the people of Colne could do? ...
You would probably be surprised to know how many people actually drive from this catchment area all the way to Leeds each day already. Once in the car, and with the parking at Skipton so poor, there is little incentive to switch modes.

tbtc

Veteran Member
They don't have to be new jobs necessarily - just the usual turn over of existing work. And there's also the possibility of work opportunities in Leeds from Colne, which would likely be quicker via Skipton.

Looking at NRE, the leg between Burnley and Leeds alone via the existing route is around an hour and a quarter, and that's without any interchange time and doubling back towards Accrington. The longest direct time from Skipton to Leeds that I can find is 43 min's (34 for the express) so it's not hard to see how a direct train via Skipton could open up a new world of employment there.

But then again some people have made up their minds against new rail whatever case you make :|.

A direct train from Colne to Leeds could open up employment opportunities, yes, but its a town of 20,000 roughly 30 miles from Leeds. Does that really justify a brand new railway with four trains an hour? How many jobs would it take to make the tens of millions worthwhile?

Sorry, but I just can't see a reason why this line needs money (when existing lines can't cope, the economy has no money and the populations are so low).

Fair enough I can see the logic in a Colne/Burnley - Manchester service (a portion of the Clitheroe - Manchester Victoria service). I can see the logic in a short curve at Todmorden. I can see the logic in doubling the existing service from East Lancashire to Halifax/ Bradford/ Leeds. But these can happen without opening a dozen miles of railway, these are much simpler to organise.

It just looks like "we want the Skipton - Colne line to reopen, so we are going to come up with a long confused list of justifications to build it"... instead of finding a significant problem and developing a solution, the SELRAP idea seems to be about coming up with the answer you want and then working backwards.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Skipton is no closer to Colne than Keighley - closer to Leeds on the same line. Now that would be a good new rail route - except SELRAP don't care about that do they?

No, because you would be cutting one of the major settlements off the route, as well as negating the possibility of extension of services. Daft suggestion, I'm afraid. Rail travel should not simply be assessed on end-to-end numbers

This kind of proves my point. The answer *has* to be "build a line from Skipton to Colne", regardless of the question. If the reason given for supporting the line is to give people in Colne area a direct train to Leeds then surely it'd faster/ easier to build the new line direct to Keighley (Cross Hills is a lot closer). Plus, with all the new services some people on this thread are proposing, and new EMUs they are accounting for, it's a reasonable suggestion (comparatively)...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What a thread. I think I speak for most railwaymen when I say that we would all love to have more railway, serving more people and growing our economy.

I think I also speak for most taxpayers when I say that we want public money spent wisely. Unfortunately this scheme, although worthy in ambition, does not seem to have the means to justify the end.

Having some experience in these matters, my estimate is that the project will cost not less than £150m before the necessary contingencies are applied, and that is before any electrification, new trains, etc. Look at the actual costs for Airdrie-Bathgate for a realistic view.

The only prospect of this line being built is for a developer to propose the construction of a new town on the route, much like East West Rail (which is being paid for by a levy on the 200,000 new homes in the area, and still not funded).

At the risk of turning this forum into Betfair, I am happy to wager SELRAP £500 that it does not open before the year 2030, payable in crisp tenners on the first train or in beer in the Narrow Boat in Skipton, depending who wins.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Apart from the grocer's apostrophe, there is one hidden flaw: the 1h+ time from Burnley to Leeds is due to being routed via Bradford Interchange - this could easily be thrashed if the route was fast via Dewsbury. This itself suggests that the demand just isn't there.

Two things.

Firstly up until a month ago, I used to commute to a little station called Cottingley. This station is situated on the main line between Dewsbury and Leeds. There are two stopping trains an hour and the one I used to catch in the morning was suddenly stopped with a timetable change and no warning. When I queried this, the answer I got was that the route was so crowded with trains, they couldn’t afford the couple of minutes in the diagram to stop it - even though, as I pointed out, 8 - 10 people used to alight there regularly. The point is, if they can’t even afford the time to stop a train that is already stopping, there is no chance of through trains going from Colne via there anyway, let alone “thrashing”. Currently, Bradford is the only viable route from the Burnley area to Leeds. This is not a flaw - this is reality (though I concede the grocer’s apostrophe).

Secondly, when I mentioned the one hour time from Burnley via Leeds, I was being generous. The current timetable has a twenty minute leg from Colne to Accrington, a one hour wait at Accrington then an hour and a half to Leeds. I suspect that this situation may currently suppress demand for train travel between the area and West Yorks.

However, even if Network Rail decided to spend millions building a spur across Burnley, Colne to Leeds would still take the 1 hour 15 mins Burnley to Leeds plus the twenty minutes from Burnley to Colne. With the far more likely scenario involving at the very least, a reversal west of Burnley or more likely a change of trains somewhere, this would take much longer.

In short, just because there isn’t currently a desirable route between Colne and Leeds (nor is there ever likely to be from the south) which as a situation is suppressing demand, that doesn’t mean there wouldn’t be a demand were a suitable option available, and Colne/Nelson - Leeds via Skipton would be that option.

Besides, Skipton is no closer to Colne than Keighley - closer to Leeds on the same line. The gradients between Colne than Keighley might have been a problem for steam, but not an electric. Now that would be a good new rail route - except SELRAP don't care about that do they?

So you think that blasting a new route from scratch through the landscape to Keighley is a viable option rather than using an existing and largely intact trackbed? This would be far more expensive. The other main advantage of Skipton is that trains can arrive there from the west and progress towards Keighley, whilst being far enough to the west to provide useful westward connections towards Appleby.

Skipton - Colne really is the only sensible position for a link between East Lancs and the Aire valley which is why SELRAP support it.

As for the social benefits, what jobs are there that could justify the fare a long-distance season ticket, that the people of Colne could do? Probably very few; I would imagine that few people with professional qualifications (apart from healthcare) would stick around there; the damage is done and has been for a very long time. So the only ones are the unemployed, who would be at risk of being browbeaten by the dole office into taking jobs based on these proposed services when the gain would be wiped out by the train fare.

There are plenty of people who commute further distances, particularly if you bear in mind that Colne is potentially only twenty five minutes further out than Skipton. To suggest that people in a given area aren’t capable of well paid work smacks of chauvinism.

As for professionals moving out of the area, has it not struck you that a lack of decent transport might be a cause of this rather than a symptom?

A direct train from Colne to Leeds could open up employment opportunities, yes, but its a town of 20,000 roughly 30 miles from Leeds. Does that really justify a brand new railway with four trains an hour? How many jobs would it take to make the tens of millions worthwhile?

Sorry, but I just can't see a reason why this line needs money (when existing lines can't cope, the economy has no money and the populations are so low).

Fair enough I can see the logic in a Colne/Burnley - Manchester service (a portion of the Clitheroe - Manchester Victoria service). I can see the logic in a short curve at Todmorden. I can see the logic in doubling the existing service from East Lancashire to Halifax/ Bradford/ Leeds. But these can happen without opening a dozen miles of railway, these are much simpler to organise.

It just looks like "we want the Skipton - Colne line to reopen, so we are going to come up with a long confused list of justifications to build it"... instead of finding a significant problem and developing a solution, the SELRAP idea seems to be about coming up with the answer you want and then working backwards..

Well no, not at all. As I’ve tried to explain, successful railways tend to perform different functions for different settlements, it’s not a question of “a confused list of justifications”. Take the majority of passenger routes in this country and the number of different passenger flows using it would be “a confused list”. The Standedge route doesn’t just carry passengers between Leeds and Manchester. I agree though, some of your other suggested improvements would be a good idea as well.

Oh, and just to recap, I still don’t think that the scheme can only work with four trains an hour.

This kind of proves my point. The answer *has* to be "build a line from Skipton to Colne", regardless of the question. If the reason given for supporting the line is to give people in Colne area a direct train to Leeds then surely it'd faster/ easier to build the new line direct to Keighley (Cross Hills is a lot closer). Plus, with all the new services some people on this thread are proposing, and new EMUs they are accounting for, it's a reasonable suggestion (comparatively)...

See my response to Jonny above

At the risk of turning this forum into Betfair, I am happy to wager SELRAP £500 that it does not open before the year 2030, payable in crisp tenners on the first train or in beer in the Narrow Boat in Skipton, depending who wins.

Yet they manage to in Scotland. Are we really that different ? Alas I’m not a member of SELRAP so won’t be able to take your beer.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Well, we can only hope that the people of East Lancs aren't fooled into thinking that a sticking plaster bypass, which will only take passing business away from the area and which may well be congested in the next ten years anyway, will be nearly as effective at regenerating the local economy as a fast, high quality transport link to the rest of Lancashire, Yorkshire and beyond.

There are some who do feel that it is a serious option to the problems of HGV's rumbling through the villages on the A6068 and A56. One politician can bee included but it is a noticeably smaller number that support this option compared to seven years ago when the route was last closely scrutinised and the Villages Bypass was seriously on the agenda.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.u...d_Yorkshire_are_priority_for_East_Lancashire/
http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/4157695.Roads_should_be_a_priority_over_railway__says_councillor/

I personally think that full bypasses are difficult to justify and more needs to be done on the existing corridor with the roads being very dangerous and a current bias towards travelling toward Keighley (A6068) as a result. However, Colne is a very difficult area to get out of with HGV's towards Earby and I believe that a bypass around this area would probably be the main golden bullet to solve the issue.

Sorry but your wrong on the cost of the A56 Bypass, this is 3X as much as the rail project, and the rail project would cost even less, once all the details are in place, with most of the funds comming from the Private sector, (Not PPP), the cost comes down even further, due to the fact its Private finance and not Government.

Is this the £45 million wild stab in the dark, £120 million reasonable estimate or £300 million dream job. The 2003 Steer Davies Gleaves Report into the transport options for the corridor put a guesstimate of £33 million for the single track option and £37 million for the bypass. Whilst I admit that both are stabs in the dark, a single carriageway 60mph road is unlikely to be as ridiculously expensive as you may try to pass off.

It also opens up New Journeys for the many jobless people of East Lancashire, which you have not looked at, this project is a tool to help them get jobs in locations which haven't been possible before, due to the journey times.
But you still have to look at the premium travel costs that they will be forced to pay to the other areas.

We also know of a few large company's that need this link to happen, due to them having large office complexes of both sides of the border, staff having to use the cars to move between both locations, also note that 40% of people in East Lancashire of driving age don't have a car.

What kind of companies are you talking about and how far are their offices from railway stations.

This well illustrates the problems with road links. Taking traffic and simply dumping it an a poor road that is already one of the most dangerous in the area. The failure to take the M65 as planned through to the Aire valley - perfectly reasonable, if only for geological reasons - has produced the classic motorway end problem, what to do with the lorries. Neither of the eastward routes from Colne is at all suitable for anything heavy until you get way east of Skipton. But the demand has been created. An imaginative solution is required, and this rail scheme could be it.

It requires an imaginative solution that actually tackles the problems of the HGV's and this rail project is highly unlikely to achieve it.

It may well be the most important job market in the area - and those improvements would be worthwhile - but that doesn't necessarily make it the only job market in the area. Opportunities in Skipton, Keighley and Bingley may also be available to East Lancs residents.

Craven suffers from a brain drain as a result of the Grammar Schools and lack of opportunities, with a massive shrinkage of 18-25 year olds and the decade above compared to the national average due to the lack of decent jobs. Off the top of my head, Skiptons biggest employers are SBS, Morrisons, Tescos, the Railway and Craven College. Keighley's biggest employers are also mainly retail and some manufacturing. Barnoldswick has Silent Night and Rolls Royce as its biggest employers. Many of these have shed jobs (even Morrisons despite the guff it has put in the media). Keighley and Skipton are not the magic bullets for the area.

No decent ones - which is why I'm still commuting 200 miles from between the two.

And I am doing 170 miles per day.

At what cost though? Many of the jobs created in Leeds are not high paying jobs so they will not make masses of money to offset the high commuting costs.

So it is still an hour which has to be paid for.

I am not against new rail. I am against under priced, over optimistic proposals that fail to understand the corridor. I have recently requested the business case for the Embsay - Skipton rail link and it appears to me to be well costed and the markets reasonably well understood (I have some doubts over Coach Party quantities using it as Park and Ride). I would support this. I support the Todmorden Curve and Burscough South Curve. I support the electrification of the Morecambe Branch. I want to see more rail travel but I want to see appropriate projects that clearly have benefits that relate to their costs.

Apart from the grocer's apostrophe, there is one hidden flaw: the 1h+ time from Burnley to Leeds is due to being routed via Bradford Interchange - this could easily be thrashed if the route was fast via Dewsbury. This itself suggests that the demand just isn't there. Besides, Skipton is no closer to Colne than Keighley - closer to Leeds on the same line. The gradients between Colne than Keighley might have been a problem for steam, but not an electric. Now that would be a good new rail route - except SELRAP don't care about that do they?

For good reason, the new rail corridor would be incredibly difficult to create. Steer Davies Gleaves did an alternative corridor study for Bypasses in the area and the conclusion I have found finds creating an alternative transport corridor disproportionally expensive (mainly because it is the optimum route across the Pennines at this point (it is near the Canal). I plan to ask for this report by FoI later tonight and peruse it as my pleasure if it is available.

No, because you would be cutting one of the major settlements off the route, as well as negating the possibility of extension of services. Daft suggestion, I'm afraid. Rail travel should not simply be assessed on end-to-end numbers.

You would probably be surprised to know how many people actually drive from this catchment area all the way to Leeds each day already. Once in the car, and with the parking at Skipton so poor, there is little incentive to switch modes.

Actually quite a few railhead to places like Steeton and Crossflatts mainly because they travel at time when the M65 and Colne can be done at pace and they avoid the traffic into Leeds. Quite a few though, is not enough to create a train service.

What a thread. I think I speak for most railwaymen when I say that we would all love to have more railway, serving more people and growing our economy.

I think I also speak for most taxpayers when I say that we want public money spent wisely. Unfortunately this scheme, although worthy in ambition, does not seem to have the means to justify the end.

Having some experience in these matters, my estimate is that the project will cost not less than £150m before the necessary contingencies are applied, and that is before any electrification, new trains, etc. Look at the actual costs for Airdrie-Bathgate for a realistic view.

The only prospect of this line being built is for a developer to propose the construction of a new town on the route, much like East West Rail (which is being paid for by a levy on the 200,000 new homes in the area, and still not funded).

I appreciate someone who puts their money where their mouth is and although I cannot guarantee my financial affairs will be that amazing in that year, I can assure you that I will be there and some of my money will also be put behind the bar.

Two things.

Firstly up until a month ago, I used to commute to a little station called Cottingley. This station is situated on the main line between Dewsbury and Leeds. There are two stopping trains an hour and the one I used to catch in the morning was suddenly stopped with a timetable change and no warning. When I queried this, the answer I got was that the route was so crowded with trains, they couldn’t afford the couple of minutes in the diagram to stop it - even though, as I pointed out, 8 - 10 people used to alight there regularly. The point is, if they can’t even afford the time to stop a train that is already stopping, there is no chance of through trains going from Colne via there anyway, let alone “thrashing”. Currently, Bradford is the only viable route from the Burnley area to Leeds. This is not a flaw - this is reality (though I concede the grocer’s apostrophe).

It is true unfortunately and it is unlikely to change with only more railway stations likely to appear on both route. The only possible way to relieve might be for
  • improvements to trains with electrification
  • additional loops on the line which increase the resilience of the service (possibly through the tunnels past Huddersfield) allowing for tighter timetabling in this area.
  • a link between the Huddersfield and Wakefield lines where they become close near the White Rose Centre

Secondly, when I mentioned the one hour time from Burnley via Leeds, I was being generous. The current timetable has a twenty minute leg from Colne to Accrington, a one hour wait at Accrington then an hour and a half to Leeds. I suspect that this situation may currently suppress demand for train travel between the area and West Yorks.

However, even if Network Rail decided to spend millions building a spur across Burnley, Colne to Leeds would still take the 1 hour 15 mins Burnley to Leeds plus the twenty minutes from Burnley to Colne. With the far more likely scenario involving at the very least, a reversal west of Burnley or more likely a change of trains somewhere, this would take much longer.

In short, just because there isn’t currently a desirable route between Colne and Leeds (nor is there ever likely to be from the south) which as a situation is suppressing demand, that doesn’t mean there wouldn’t be a demand were a suitable option available, and Colne/Nelson - Leeds via Skipton would be that option.

You are correct, which is why a bus/rail compromise would achieve similar connectivity at a quicker pace than is currently available

Skipton - Colne really is the only sensible position for a link between East Lancs and the Aire valley which is why SELRAP support it.

Of course it is and I fully agree with using that corridor as the basis for any transport improvements.

There are plenty of people who commute further distances, particularly if you bear in mind that Colne is potentially only twenty five minutes further out than Skipton. To suggest that people in a given area aren’t capable of well paid work smacks of chauvinism.

As for professionals moving out of the area, has it not struck you that a lack of decent transport might be a cause of this rather than a symptom?
They are capable of well paid work but this takes generations to achieve with a sizeable lag to pick up. Decent transport is only one aspect of the problem. We all agree that improving transport is one way of helping but at the current costs and options on the table, it is certainly difficult to justify so much investment for such a lightly populated area.

Well no, not at all. As I’ve tried to explain, successful railways tend to perform different functions for different settlements, it’s not a question of “a confused list of justifications”. Take the majority of passenger routes in this country and the number of different passenger flows using it would be “a confused list”. The Standedge route doesn’t just carry passengers between Leeds and Manchester. I agree though, some of your other suggested improvements would be a good idea as well.

It needs to have enough journeys to justify it regardless of what journeys it is used for. It suffers because it will struggle to gain a lot of inter regional journeys through it and requires local journeys to keep it going.

Oh, and just to recap, I still don’t think that the scheme can only work with four trains an hour.

Personally I agree, but as soon as it was mentioned it was going to be a kicking point for them. Look at HS2 with the potential sound of the train going past. Hourly to Skipton will kybosh most of your arguments and leave it operating in a substandard service, so it will require further improvements, which will push the price up further.

Yet they manage to in Scotland. Are we really that different ? Alas I’m not a member of SELRAP so won’t be able to take your beer.

I am sure that you would make significant efforts to attend an opening party to at least say that I told you so and at that point I am sure you would enjoy the free ale (or soft drink alternative) on offer. :lol:

tbtc

Veteran Member
I am not against new rail. I am against under priced, over optimistic proposals that fail to understand the corridor

I support the Todmorden Curve and Burscough South Curve. I support the electrification of the Morecambe Branch. I want to see more rail travel but I want to see appropriate projects that clearly have benefits that relate to their costs

This is the part I agree with. I'm pro-rail. I'm pro-new lines/ reopened lines. But I'm for realistic improvements. Compared to the cost of this "new" line, a lot could be done elsewhere in Yorkshire/Lancashire to meet *existing* demand.

I'm sorry to be negative on here about the project, but nothing said so far has convinced me that SELRAP deserves public money thrown at it, when we have very real problems with capacity on existing lines.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I am sure that you would make significant efforts to attend an opening party to at least say that I told you so and at that point I am sure you would enjoy the free ale (or soft drink alternative) on offer. :lol:

Well, I could be tempted to pop in :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hourly to Skipton will kybosh most of your arguments and leave it operating in a substandard service, so it will require further improvements

Whilst I think we've probably reached an impass and will likely just be repeating ourselves, I will just respond to this point because I know from experience that there are many lines with only one or two hourly services that are very useful and still manage to perform all of the functions I've mentioned.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Certainly and they have many benefits to their areas. I fully agree that we are hitting a point of impasse. If I get time over the coming weeks, I will add a summary post for SELRAP with my points on and some of the topics covered. I hope that this thread helps them most importantly to achieve a significantly improved project that will really help everyone on this important corridor and see the alternatives that will be floated at the public inquiry.

lancastrian

Skipton - 14,313
Colne - 20,118

(both figures taken from Wikepedia)

By that logic a more pressing need would be to link Glossop (32,428) and Penistone (10,101) on the Woodhead line...

What supprises me aboutb these figures is how narrowly you have sated for your potential usaage. All you have done is to take the p[opulation figures for the two towns the line needs to be reopened between. This gives a totally false usage image.

If you take the two council areas at each end of the line, you have Pendle (90,000 approx) plus Burnley (73,500 approx).

At the other end of the line you have Craven (56,000 approx), Keighley area (74,000 approx) and Bingley (20,000 approx).

That is 163,000 on the Lancashire end of the line and 150,000 on the Yorkshire end. that is about a third of a million people for whom the reopened Colne to Skipton line is the shortest route bewteen each group. Surely this is a really good potential market for the line.

When you start to quote figures for potential use, then you need to cover the whole of the potential catchment area.

tbtc

Veteran Member
What supprises me aboutb these figures is how narrowly you have sated for your potential usaage. All you have done is to take the p[opulation figures for the two towns the line needs to be reopened between. This gives a totally false usage image.

If you take the two council areas at each end of the line, you have Pendle (90,000 approx) plus Burnley (73,500 approx).

At the other end of the line you have Craven (56,000 approx), Keighley area (74,000 approx) and Bingley (20,000 approx).

That is 163,000 on the Lancashire end of the line and 150,000 on the Yorkshire end. that is about a third of a million people for whom the reopened Colne to Skipton line is the shortest route bewteen each group. Surely this is a really good potential market for the line.

When you start to quote figures for potential use, then you need to cover the whole of the potential catchment area.

As I've stated on this thread, even when the new line is open, Keighley/Bingley - Manchester will still be faster changing at Leeds (even allowing fifteen minutes to change at Leeds to the frequent TPE service) and Blackburn/Burnley - Leeds will still be faster on the existing route via Bradford.

So, apart from journeys involving Colne and Skipton (the towns themselves, or the wider area, plus intermediate stops), the new line isn't going to be much use for travel to/from Manchester or Leeds.

I'm all for improving the existing service from Blackburn/Accrington/Burnley to Yorkshire, and for providing links from Burnley to Manchester (via portion working at Blackburn, or a curve at Todmorden), as I've said a few times on here. The idea that "there are 300,000 people living in this area, so a new railway will benefit 300,000 people" doesn't convince me, because the majority of those will be just as fast getting to Manchester/Leeds via existing routes.

Nobody has suggested any great demand to get between Burnley/Colne and Skipton/Keighley, most of the supposed demand is to get to Manchester/Leeds and the employment there.

Of course, by the time you start talking about "Craven" and "Pendle" you are including a lot of people who'd live a long way from the new railway and from any stations on it, who would have to drive to get to the stations (and will therefore be harder to reach)

Still not convinced

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Blackburn/Burnley - Leeds will still be faster on the existing route via Bradford.

I think that’s a very unrealistic assumption. Burnley - Leeds is currently around 1 hour fifteen minutes. The shorter times from Skipton to Leeds are just around half an hour. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect that a train could make it between Burnley and Skipton within 45 minutes, so you could potentially have to similarly times routes into Leeds.

Nobody has suggested any great demand to get between Burnley/Colne and Skipton/Keighley, most of the supposed demand is to get to Manchester/Leeds and the employment there.

Of course, by the time you start talking about "Craven" and "Pendle" you are including a lot of people who'd live a long way from the new railway and from any stations on it, who would have to drive to get to the stations (and will therefore be harder to reach)

Still not convinced

And I refer my right honourable friend to the answer I gave some posts ago:

If SELRAP manage to get just one train per hour between Blackpool and Leeds via Colne, large numbers of local and middle distance journeys will be possible across the North West quickly and with just one change:

Blackpool - Keighley/Skipton
Manchester - Bingley/Shipley
Appleby/Settle - Blackburn
Bolton - Kieghley/Skipton

And thats without mentioning the direct and fast transport opportunities which will be available to Nelson and Colne across the North of England, and indeed with the rest of the country, quickly and with one change at Leeds or Preston.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I think that’s a very unrealistic assumption. Burnley - Leeds is currently around 1 hour fifteen minutes. The shorter times from Skipton to Leeds are just around half an hour. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect that a train could make it between Burnley and Skipton within 45 minutes, so you could potentially have to similarly times routes into Leeds.

The half hour timings are for the Carlisle services, rather than the stoppers which people want to extend to Colne (approx 40 minutes). With the existing fast services, plus the freight, plus four slow trains an hour from Skipton to Shipley, and more from Apperley Bridge into Leeds there isn't space for additional services on this stretch) Have you seen an estimated time for a Skipton - Colne journey?

Yes, and as I said Manchester to Bingley/ Shipley would be much faster via Leeds. Appleby/Settle - Blackburn would be much better with the extension of the Clitheroe service I previously recommended (nobody else seems to like this idea).

Bolton/Blackpool to Skipton/Keighley? I'm sure if you list any two towns in northern England there will be some demand between them, but I can't think of any major demand to get from Keighley to Bolton(?) - does this really justify £100m?

I could think of a lot of bigger places not linked (e.g. there's no direct train from Sheffield to Bradford, or from Huddersfield to Bolton or from Wakefield to Blackpool, or Liverpool to Barnsley... ) but nobody would suggest that any of these need new railways built

Tod Curve (allowing Burnley - Manchester trains)? Yes
Clitheroe - Hellifield (allowing Greater Manchester/ East Lancashire - North Yorkshire trains)? Yes
Portion working at Blackburn (allowing Burnley - Manchester trains)? Yes
Capacity increase on existing Leeds/Bradford - Burnley/Blackburn? Yes
...all of which could be done without the massive expense of a new railway from Colne to Skipton

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The half hour timings are for the Carlisle services, rather than the stoppers which people want to extend to Colne (approx 40 minutes). With the existing fast services, plus the freight, plus four slow trains an hour from Skipton to Shipley, and more from Apperley Bridge into Leeds there isn't space for additional services on this stretch) Have you seen an estimated time for a Skipton - Colne journey?

Bearing in mind the stopper from Leeds to Skipton travels much further in the same time, I don't think it's being outlandish.

Yes, and as I said Manchester to Bingley/ Shipley would be much faster via Leeds. Appleby/Settle - Blackburn would be much better with the extension of the Clitheroe service I previously recommended (nobody else seems to like this idea).

I wasn't talking about Manchester - Bingley so I don't know why you're bringing it up. As for Leeds Appleby, Settle Blackburn, yes, the Clitheroe line would work - but it would miss out all of the links between East Lancs and the Aire Valley. Why would you expect SELRAP, whose main purpose is to improve transport between East Lancs and the Aire valley, to plump for an alternative route which completely misses out those areas?

Bolton/Blackpool to Skipton/Keighley? I'm sure if you list any two towns in northern England there will be some demand between them, but I can't think of any major demand to get from Keighley to Bolton(?) - does this really justify £100m?

As I say, it's a case of combining lots of different flows.

I could think of a lot of bigger places not linked (e.g. there's no direct train from Sheffield to Bradford, or from Huddersfield to Bolton or from Wakefield to Blackpool, or Liverpool to Barnsley... ) but nobody would suggest that any of these need new railways built

They might not be directly linked, but there's also not a huge missing gap between them. It's relatively straight forward to get from Bradford to Sheffield and Huddersfield to Bolton quickly and with one change. Also, and crucially, there doesn't appear to be any demand from the local population/council/business to build a more direct link between these two so why suggest it ? I think the Wealden link is a more fitting analogy (looking at the size of the settlements involved, the convoluted detours to get between them and the other slightly longer distance objectives that could be solved as well), and yes, I support that as well.

Tod Curve (allowing Burnley - Manchester trains)? Yes
Clitheroe - Hellifield (allowing Greater Manchester/ East Lancashire - North Yorkshire trains)? Yes
Portion working at Blackburn (allowing Burnley - Manchester trains)? Yes
Capacity increase on existing Leeds/Bradford - Burnley/Blackburn? Yes

Well yes, I don't disagree with any of these - they may even be a slightly higher priority for now, but we shouldn't forget the importance of longer routes as well.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Bearing in mind the stopper from Leeds to Skipton travels much further in the same time, I don't think it's being outlandish

Its about forty minutes on the stopper from Leeds to Skipton. Realistically, if you are talking about a through service from the Airdale line to Colne/Burnley then this is going to be an extension of the stoppers (there aren't free paths for additional services through Shipley). So, any Leeds - Skipton - Colne (etc) timings need to be based on the "all stops" 333s. To quote the half hour that a 158 does the route (with only a few stops) isn't relevant to the timings of a through train, because it wouldn't be those paths that would be used.

I wasn't talking about Manchester - Bingley so I don't know why you're bringing it up

?

You mentioned it in post 80 on this thread:

If SELRAP manage to get just one train per hour between Blackpool and Leeds via Colne, large numbers of local and middle distance journeys will be possible across the North West quickly and with just one change:

Manchester - Bingley/Shipley

...you then quoted yourself saying this in post 132 on this thread:

(where you went on to mention Manchester - Bingley again)

You've mentioned Manchester - Bingley twice; I'm responding to it by saying it'd still be quicker via a change at Leeds. Using Manchester - Bingley as a justification to build the new line isn't convincing me.

As for Leeds Appleby, Settle Blackburn, yes, the Clitheroe line would work - but it would miss out all of the links between East Lancs and the Aire Valley. Why would you expect SELRAP, whose main purpose is to improve transport between East Lancs and the Aire valley, to plump for an alternative route which completely misses out those areas?

Again, you are using examples of journeys that SELRAP would help, and I have given an alternative way of providing that journey (which needs one additional Pacer, not over £100 million). But this is the problem - people are trying to work backwards to find questions that can be answered by "SELRAP" (regardless of whether there are other cheaper simper solutions that could be delivered much sooner).

If there's a demand from Greater Manchester/ East Lancashire to Settle/ Appleby etc (which was one of your suggestions) then why would you build a new line from Colne to Skipton, when there's a perfectly good railway from Clitheroe to Hellifield (which only gets passenger trains one day a week)?

They might not be directly linked, but there's also not a huge missing gap between them. It's relatively straight forward to get from Bradford to Sheffield and Huddersfield to Bolton quickly and with one change. Also, and crucially, there doesn't appear to be any demand from the local population/council/business to build a more direct link between these two so why suggest it ?

I'm only suggesting random places in northern England that have no direct train service (regardless of whether there is any perceived/ supressed demand to travel between them) because this is what the SELRAP argument seems to be doing.

After all, it's relatively straight forward to get from Keighley to Manchester quickly and with one change (or Burnley - Leeds with no change)

Status
Not open for further replies.