• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Caledonian Sleeper ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

i would like to go to fort william again on the caledonian sleeper, however i do not fancy paying around £180 for first class, i hear that for a fraction of the price you can get a standard room with 2 beds but then there is a solo option so you can have that room with the other bed folded down to yourself, any idea how i would go about doing this and would it be much cheaper? thanks :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EltonRoad

If you're lucky you'll get a Bargain Berth, but they sell out quickly on that route. And you may have to share.

The solo supplement (£54) is payable on top of a standard class off peak return and gives you exclusive use of a standard cabin but both beds are still out. You can book it online on the ScotRail web site but they're limited in number.

An off peak return from London to Fort William is £137.30, and you can add a solo sleeper to that in one or both directions. Or take your chances with a standard or advance sleeper single in each direction (starts at £60 all-inclusive) and hope you don't have to share!

Yew

Established Member
Could you book two bargin berths? That could be cheaper than the supplement

MCR247

Established Member
But if the other person didn't turn up, they could still sell the berth to passengers getting on a WFJ , CRE & WFJ.

Not sure about Euston then

EltonRoad

But if the other person didn't turn up, they could still sell the berth to passengers getting on a WFJ , CRE & WFJ.

Could they though? If you've paid for both berths, they're both yours to use surely. As far as ScotRail are concerned, they're sold, and they've got their money.

I suppose the chance of someone turning up for a berth "on spec" is pretty slim ..? Especially seeing as the publicity says reservations essential.

MCR247

Established Member
Yes, I think can. Although I believe it happens more with FGW...

EltonRoad

If that happened to me, apart from "having a word" with the attendant, I'd be putting in for an instant refund. Can't see how they can sell the same berth twice, especially when the person holding the ticket for it is in there!

Flying Snail

Established Member
Could they though? If you've paid for both berths, they're both yours to use surely. As far as ScotRail are concerned, they're sold, and they've got their money.

I suppose the chance of someone turning up for a berth "on spec" is pretty slim ..? Especially seeing as the publicity says reservations essential.

If the service is full it wouldn't be unusual for people unable to get a berth in advance to book a seat and approach the sleeper attendants in the hope of upgrading to a birth if there are no-shows.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, I think can. Although I believe it happens more with FGW...

AFAIK FGW no longer put strangers together in cabins, 2-berths are only for people travelling together.

IMO Scotrail should do the same.

I don't know about anyone else but sharing a sleeper cabin with a randomer is not something I would do, if that was the only available berth I would rather spend the night on the seats.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's been many, many years of shared cabins without incident. I appreciate it doesn't eliminate problems, but they do at least never put men and women (that don't know each other) together; it's the only ticket where you're asked your gender when booking.

NightatLaira

If that happened to me, apart from "having a word" with the attendant, I'd be putting in for an instant refund. Can't see how they can sell the same berth twice, especially when the person holding the ticket for it is in there!

Did you get the refund? Because this sounds scarily similar to the thread that was doing the rounds around here a month ago about people paying for an extra ticket so they could have somewhere to put their bag? As I recall the trolls of this forum reacted with hostility to any 'toffs' who would consider doing such a thing...

Technically, unless I am mistaken, all train tickets (possibly not including sleeper berth supplements) entitle travel from A to B but not necessarily a seat / bed / whatever.

scotsman

Established Member
Did you get the refund? Because this sounds scarily similar to the thread that was doing the rounds around here a month ago about people paying for an extra ticket so they could have somewhere to put their bag? As I recall the trolls of this forum reacted with hostility to any 'toffs' who would consider doing such a thing...

Technically, unless I am mistaken, all train tickets (possibly not including sleeper berth supplements) entitle travel from A to B but not necessarily a seat / bed / whatever.

Only a reservation or sleeper supplement guarantees a seat or bed respectively

Bungle73

On Moderation
I've always fancied going on a sleeper train, but I would definitely not like to have to share with some stranger; that's what puts me off. I can't find any reference to a solo supplement on Scotrail's website.

Also I noticed this titbit:

Scotrail website said:
In some cases single travellers (and those travelling with children under 5) may need to share a cabin with a customer of the same sex.
So does that mean you might end up sharing with someone and their kid? I can't think of anything worse!

Last edited:

EltonRoad

There is a solo supplement; just a few hours ago I bought one off the web site and collected it from a TOD machine.

It's £54 and is bought in conjunction with an off peak return (or anytime return). They're limited in number. If you try and book tickets on the ScotRail web site, and select off peak return for a sleeper service, it should then give you a few supplement options including solo.

John @ home

Established Member

paul1609

Established Member

I've turned up on spec before when Ive had to travel to Faslane Naval Base at short notice always been accomodated. Apart from about 8 weeks in Summer the fort william portion is pretty lightly loaded.

rail-britain

Established Member
So does that mean you might end up sharing with someone and their kid? I can't think of anything worse!
This is one of the reasons for the Solo
This is recommended where one adult is travelling with a child under the age of five, who travels free
However, if the sleeper is busy then it is possible for the second bed to be given to another fare paying passenger, however normally the staff will work round this

It should also be possible to pay for a bed only, for a child under the age of five, that child ends up with a nil value ticket (valid on sleeper only)
However, as above the Solo is more appropriate

Bungle73

On Moderation
So, if I buy a solo supplement, and the train is busy is there the possibility I might still have to share? I think I'd just rather stump up the extra cash and go first class tbh.

EltonRoad

No, solo means solo. You pay £54 for exclusive use of the cabin.

Are you planning on using the sleeper in both directions? Off peak return @ £137.30 plus 2 x £54 solo supplements = £245.30 (from Euston).

2 x 1st class sleeper singles = £299 minimum. There are two tiers of 1st class single - £149.50, then when they are sold out it goes up to £202.40.

1st sleeper singles include a Zones 1-2 tube fare (worth £2.50 if you have an Oyster, £4 if not), breakfast and free use of showers at each end.

Still saves quite a lot to do it with two solos. They do sell out though, so advise book ahead.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor

You have 15 mins after the departure time at your particular station to claim your berth or it can be legitimately re-sold. In practice on board staff will wait a few stops before doing this as it is not uncommon for pax booked on at Aberdeen to board at Stonehaven e.g.

It is very common for pax to turn up without berth reservations. Most of these ARE booked into the seats however and want to upgrade or have booked the seats in error and wish a bed.

You are not allowed to buy two or more tickets for the same journey as is well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.