• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform Display Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Has anyone ever noticed Platform Display Monitors showing incorrect stations?

e.g. Preston Platform 4 showing next departure for Plymouth, calling at Wigan North Western, Warrington Bank Quay, Crewe, Milton Keynes Central, Watford Junction & London Euston!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
No :D
scaled.php

PS: If you can't see the error, check out the rear coaches of the 16:32!

WatcherZero

Established Member
Saw one last week, something along the line of:

'The following is an important safety announcement....'
Then two pages on the next train and what stops it was calling at.

Later on saw it being displayed normally at another station so I thought to myself perhaps the boards could only display three pages of information and a two page train broke the announcement.

table38

Established Member
That reminds me, sat at Bridlington the other day, the bottom line of the display kept saying:

Passengers should be aware

then that was it!

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
1942 pretendo service displayed as normal at Coventry but with "mark iii set" added on the on the board. someone the're is a enthusiast!

Last edited:

PR1Berske

Established Member
That reminds me, sat at Bridlington the other day, the bottom line of the display kept saying:

Passengers should be aware

then that was it!

I've seen "Passengers should be aware" at Leyland and a couple of others. It should, of course, be "...train doors are closed 30 seconds before departure" but the programing has clearly been borked.

pemma

Veteran Member
Wrong, but perhaps understandably:

Why've they spelt Victoria wrong then?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've seen "Passengers should be aware" at Leyland and a couple of others. It should, of course, be "...train doors are closed 30 seconds before departure" but the programing has clearly been borked.

Altrincham, Stockport and all stations on the Bolton-Preston line with LED displays show that.

Yew

Established Member
The display at Mansfield woodhouse doesnt display anything corectly on the top line

Harlesden

Although I can't recall the exact wording, the display at Harlesden occasionally shows

The approaching train is a passing train
Please stand clear of the platform edge

The approaching train actually stops normally for passengers to alight and board

Boothby97

Established Member
Barnetby Platform 1/4 (one closest to exit) on saturday morning and sunday afternoon said "If you need assistance boarding the train, please ask the help point". Bearing in mind on saturday there was a coal train and sunday nothing, I don't see you would need help boarding the train.

Established Member
Some of the platform display boards at the south end of the WAML (stations such as Enfield Lock and the up platform at Tottenham Hale) don't scroll the delay reason if a train is late. So it'll say something like "Delayed due to a" and that's it.

Temple Meads

Established Member
At Westbury, the approaching train, not scheduled to stop announcement is often played when an empty unit or a terminated train has been at the platform for over 5 minutes!

Established Member
At Westbury, the approaching train, not scheduled to stop announcement is often played when an empty unit or a terminated train has been at the platform for over 5 minutes!

On that note, the old announcement system at Knebworth was 2 minutes behind. It would say "Stand well away from the edge" about a minute after a fast train had gone through, then say "Platform 1 for the" as the train was pulling out :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
I have previously seen one of the display units at Bath Spa showing the 16:07 to Weymouth as the next train... at 16:40. When it was on time.

More amusing however is that I have previously seen a 158 (so a train, not a platform) showing its destination as Ashby-de-la-Zouch! As if that's not bad enough (given Ashby's distinct lack of a station), consider the fact that this was at Salisbury...

causton

Established Member
On that note, the old announcement system at Knebworth was 2 minutes behind. It would say "Stand well away from the edge" about a minute after a fast train had gone through, then say "Platform 1 for the" as the train was pulling out :lol:

Well, Brookmans Park needs to do the announcements just a couple of seconds earlier. It's always "from the edge of platfo-WHOOOOOOSH!"

Earlier, 2 trains went through the fast platforms at the same time, and 2 calling trains stopped on the slow platforms at the same time as that! The announcement system played the second 'stand well back...' announcements as I pulled out of the station on one of the stopped trains. And then heard 'Platform 4 for...'! Silly lack of zoning :P

blakey1152

Slade Green station has the same thing..the fast train will go steaming through and after its gone....."Stand well away from the edge of platform 1 - this train is not for customer use" - Bit late!!!

Chris

Boothby97

Established Member
At Crewe yesterday, an announcement:

It is running next week as well, in fact when I stand at Stafford on a Tuesday regularly a voyager will pass through with the destination Birmingham New Street.
Glasgow Central to Birmingham New Street services call at Wolverhampton only between CRE and BHM.

imagination

Last week at Dyce there was some ECS standing on platform 1 waiting for the train I was catching from platform 2. However, the station announcement insisted on saying on platform 2 that the next train was not scheduled to stop, and then changed it to say that it was running to Inverness, non-stop (it was actually going to Edinburgh).

rail-britain

Established Member
I've never heard of stations called "Birmingham" and "Bristol" before...
Due to lack of space on the old Solari board many of the long distance station names were shortened but appeared correctly on the platform screen, but it was very common for the wrong station cards to appear on the main solari board

Eagle

Established Member
Due to lack of space on the old Solari board many of the long distance station names were shortened but appeared correctly on the platform screen, but it was very common for the wrong station cards to appear on the main solari board

And I'm guessing not every station all the way to Penzance would have appeared? Cheltenham's missing for a start...

rail-britain

Established Member
And I'm guessing not every station all the way to Penzance would have appeared? Cheltenham's missing for a start...
Yes, every station was listed on Edinburgh - Penzance (at the time it was via Carstairs and Crewe), Edinburgh - Plymouth and the Aberdeen - Plymouth, if the train called at those stations, but not always in the order the train called at those stations
However the names were shortened (examples include Cheltenham, Bristol, Newark)
One unusual inclusion was the London Paddington, which included a cartoon picture of Paddington bear!

The reason only Birmingham and Bristol appear on this card is these were the two stopping points of the Edinburgh / Glasgow - Plymouth sleeper

davelew99

Not a platform display error -

Yesterday i was travelling to liverpool lime street and due to engineering works between hooton and chester, as we passed James St. the on board display changed to "this is the merseyrail service to hooton" - no problem. It then proceeded to say "the next station is Hamilton Sq" (which is 4 stations after our next one, which was Moorfields).

It then proceeded to be ahead as we passed each stop (so Moorfields was announced as Hamilton Sq and Lime St announced as Birkenhead Central).

However, what really amused me was that as we approached Lime St the guard announced the station manually (which happens most of the time as they give additional information) but he said "The next station is liverpool lime street, change here for InterCity and Regional Rail services".

Status
Not open for further replies.