• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

‘10 bell dispatch’ against a red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben.A.98

The unusual codes on the Far North Line, and also the West Highland Line, are related to the RETB signalling. There are no physical signals for the guard to check, so the driver uses a buzzer code to inform the guard when the train has authority to proceed.

Guards can look for the flashing blue LSIs, I've quite often noted the dispatch proceedure only happening after the LSIs begin to flash.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

craigybagel

Established Member
Guards can look for the flashing blue LSIs, I've quite often noted the dispatch proceedure only happening after the LSIs begin to flash.

Indeed - on the Heart of Wales and Pembroke Dock lines guards are meant to check that the TPWS indicators on the stop boards have changed to flashing blue from flashing red before they commence dispatch - although unlike with RETB there are other physical signs that the token has been obtained and it's ok to continue; the driver returning from the token hut with the token in their hand (which they're meant to show to the guard) being chief among them! Traincrew on that service end up keeping an eye on white and blue signals as well as the more conventional red yellow and green (which of course come in both colour light and semaphore form).

On the ERTMS signalled Cambrian lines however, there are no signals of any form whatsoever to show the guard the train has a clear signal and is able to proceed. Instead, the driver gives two on the buzzer to the guard, and then the guard can start the dispatch procedure and close the doors.

Highlandspring

Established Member
The buzzer codes on RETB lines are a relic from before the LSIs were installed.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Indeed - on the Heart of Wales and Pembroke Dock lines guards are meant to check that the TPWS indicators on the stop boards have changed to flashing blue from flashing red before they commence dispatch - although unlike with RETB there are other physical signs that the token has been obtained and it's ok to continue; the driver returning from the token hut with the token in their hand (which they're meant to show to the guard) being chief among them! Traincrew on that service end up keeping an eye on white and blue signals as well as the more conventional red yellow and green (which of course come in both colour light and semaphore form).

On the ERTMS signalled Cambrian lines however, there are no signals of any form whatsoever to show the guard the train has a clear signal and is able to proceed. Instead, the driver gives two on the buzzer to the guard, and then the guard can start the dispatch procedure and close the doors.

Can you give buzzers on sprinter stock without interlock? I didn’t think you could but I’ve never seen it tried.

craigybagel

Established Member
Can you give buzzers on sprinter stock without interlock? I didn’t think you could but I’ve never seen it tried.

You can't from door panels, but the buzzer in the cab the driver has keyed in still works.

sw1ller

Established Member
You definitely can on ATW 158s - it's the method of working for ERTMS and it was the same for RETB before it as well. Can't speak for other sprinters and/or other TOCs.

What’s an ATW 158???

Sorry, couldn’t help it.

whhistle

On Moderation
Is this similar to what happened at Paddington on a recent episode?
That the Guard closed the doors well before departure time? I guess he didn't give the RA bells though so is a bit different to giving bells on a red.

Established Member
Is this similar to what happened at Paddington on a recent episode?
That the Guard closed the doors well before departure time? I guess he didn't give the RA bells though so is a bit different to giving bells on a red.
There is no guard on a DOO service so I doubt it.

sw1ller

Established Member
Arriva Trains Wales Class 158...

Cheers Tom. I tend to be quite facetious at times and it’s hard to pick up over the forum.

:lol:

I've got got any announcements wrong yet!

(The fact I've only worked 3 trains so far under the new regime may have something to do with that)

I’ve still not worked any, so you’re way ahead of me. I did get my package recently, however, I’ve given it all to my nephew as he’s mildly interested in what was in the bag!

craigybagel

Established Member
I’ve still not worked any, so you’re way ahead of me. I did get my package recently, however, I’ve given it all to my nephew as he’s mildly interested in what was in the bag!

My cat got the hat (it's too small for my head but it's very soft and warm so perfect for him!) but the rest of the package was useful at least.

Anyways, this is definitely off topic

craigybagel

Established Member
The Mk3 sets at Liverpool Street are another example. Its been many a year since I actually dispatched one so the timings may be wrong but the doors are locked 30 seconds before booked departure, with the exception of the local door, regardless of signal aspect.

Were you allowed to let late runners board through the local door? I hate to think how many arguments you'd have if you couldn't!

TheEdge

Established Member
Were you allowed to let late runners board through the local door? I hate to think how many arguments you'd have if you couldn't!

Local door at Liverpool Street is one of the saloon doors of the coach nearest to the stops so anyone can board via that door.

Status
Not open for further replies.