• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Better than average” Wetherspoons

Simon75

On Moderation
Green Dragon, Leek , Staffordshire, is nice . It was a traditional pub, and still feels like one

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The Listers Arms in Ilkley has always come across to me as a better quality Witherspoon's.

In Leeds of the city centre ones I think the Cuthbert Broderick is the best in the city.

dgl

Established Member
The William Henry in Weymouth is quite nice and recently refurbished. The Quay in Poole is a another nice one, even more so if you get a table by a window looking out to the quay.
Lastly The Iron Duke Wellington, Somerset is a good one, roof terrace and some nice booths on a balcony above the rear searing area.

Fragezeichnen

But you can't beat The Rocket by Putney Bridge. Cracking 'Spoons.

That was a regular haunt of mine when I lived in London. An interesting circular glass building right on the riverside. Nice place for a drink, but avoid the food. However, I attributed the atmosphere partly to there being a second 'Spoons just a few hundred metres up the road opposite the main line station, a tired and grubby place which seemed to attract the sort of unpleasant 'characters' that are one of the downsides to visiting most of their establishments. This seems to now have closed...

My other favourite was The Ledger Building in Canary Wharf. A lovely old spacious dockside building right next to the Docklands Museum. I can imagine it being heaving in the week, but on weekends it was pleasantly quiet.

Also, The Montagu Pyke in the West End, a large converte nightclub which at least used to have a wide range of international beer on tap.

Jimini

Established Member
That was a regular haunt of mine when I lived in London. An interesting circular glass building right on the riverside. Nice place for a drink, but avoid the food. However, I attributed the atmosphere partly to there being a second 'Spoons just a few hundred metres up the road opposite the main line station, a tired and grubby place which seemed to attract the sort of unpleasant 'characters' that are one of the downsides to visiting most of their establishments. This seems to now have closed...

My other favourite was The Ledger Building in Canary Wharf. A lovely old spacious dockside building right next to the Docklands Museum. I can imagine it being heaving in the week, but on weekends it was pleasantly quiet.

Also, The Montagu Pyke in the West End, a large converte nightclub which at least used to have a wide range of international beer on tap.

Two more good shouts there aye. The Ledger Building gets somewhat wedged on a Thursday / Friday night as you'd imagine, although not as bad as pre-Covid when you could barely move!

The Railway opposite the mainline station in Putney was grubby indeed, although it's been sold off and gentrified to within an inch of its life these days. Still go to the Fox & Hounds opposite most weekends before / after the footy when Fulham are at home. Lovely boozer, that.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Why anyone would want to drink in a weathers is beyond me. I wont upset posters by pointing out the obvious problems with the chain and it's owner but I will never knowingly drink in one of thier pubs again.

As for a nice one, the best I can recall is about 10 years ago, before I realised the above, I went in one in Colwyn Bay that was very pleasant. It had not long opened so the floor wasn't sticky ! I think it was a converted cinema. They even managed a half decent pint!

PS Get the Neverspoons app downloaded. Find a nice pub nearby. Have a nice pint in a nice environment. Your day will be better.

PPS the ones in MK are AWFUL. The Bletchley one is ok building and contents wise but has clientele issues imo!

12LDA28C

Established Member
Probably the best Wetherspoons I've been to are the Opera House in Tunbridge Wells (https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/kent/opera-house-royal-tunbridge-wells)

... and Caley Picture House in Edinburgh: https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/scotland/edinburgh/the-caley-picture-house

Another vote here for the Caley Picture House, a decent selection of beer whenever I've visited and plenty of character in the interior. I also really like the Imperial at Exeter, especially the orangerie with its bright airy space.

PS Get the Neverspoons app downloaded. Find a nice pub nearby. Have a nice pint in a nice environment. Your day will be better.

.... and considerably more expensive.

Jimini

Established Member
PPS the ones in MK are AWFUL. The Bletchley one is ok building and contents wise but has clientele issues imo!

That one up the road from the station on the left has to be one of the most soulless places I've ever stuck my head round the door in aye!

dangie

Established Member
This thread is not meant for any political discussion surrounding Wetherspoons (if you choose not to visit these establishments, I entirely understand, but please refrain from commenting on this thread)…
Above: From the Thread originator
Why anyone would want to drink in a weathers is beyond me. I wont upset posters by pointing out the obvious problems with the chain and it's owner but I will never knowingly drink in one of thier pubs again.

….PS Get the Neverspoons app downloaded. Find a nice pub nearby. Have a nice pint in a nice environment. Your day will be better.…
You obviously either haven’t read the original Thread post from Huntergreed, or simply decided to ignore it?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
simply decided to ignore it?
I ignored it but in any event I made no comments on the items the OP wanted to limit discussion on plus I gave an example of a nice weathers I went in several years ago.

I KNOW weatherspoons has a fan boy club on this board but my view is different and wont change.

EDIT - another good one: Ilfracombe. Not a nicely converted building but a lovely spot, especially on a sunny day.

Last edited:

1D54

Weatherspoons, Witherspoons. Reece likes em apparently, i must prefer Wetherspoons of the JD variety.

12LDA28C

Established Member
What does irritate me is that frequently the check in for Wetherspoon pubs on Facebook is misspelt Weatherspoon or Whetherspoon or worse - perhaps giving an indication of the general level of intelligence of the kind of people that frequent its pubs, or at least those that create the check-ins... it's not rocket science to read 'Wetherspoon' off the menu or website or Google search, surely... anyway, rant over.

nlogax

Established Member
Another good one to add to the list; The King & Castle in Windsor. Especially on a spring or summer evening sitting out in the garden, actually worth seeking out.

Iskra

Established Member
In addition to Oban and Henley-on-Thames, I forgot to mention my local one- The Wagon & Horses, Chapeltown, Sheffield. It feels like a regular pub and is more modern, light and airy than most Wetherspoons, plus it has a nice conservatory area and outside seating area and rarely gets uncomfortably busy.

Zamracene749

No….but in this instance I would say the awful reviews were correct.
One of the most brutal Spoons I've been in. And I'm from Peterlee, whose Spoons was one of the few in the country that had to seal off one of it's two entrances so that the doormen could control the punters and stop em smashing the glass!

The Shakespeares head in Holborn , decent enough but always has a damp smell to it.

The Furness Railway in Barrow is Ok but quite a sight for people drinking at 10am! Prices world's apart from Central London.

Agree about Crosse Keys in the city of London , magnificent building.

Another good one to add to the list; The King & Castle in Windsor. Especially on a spring or summer evening sitting out in the garden, actually worth seeking out.
I wonder if the king ever leaves his nearby castle to enjoy a summer evening pint in the Wetherspoons garden?

gazthomas

Established Member
Llandudno is nice and Colwyn Bay is a mini version. The one in the old Corn Market in Bury St Edmonds and the Tythe Barn in St Albans and the Caley Picture House in Edinburgh. And that one in Baker Street station!

Carlisle

Established Member
As far as Cumbria’s concerned I always found the Bransty Arch in Whitehaven a bright, clean & well kept pub but I’ve not been for a year or two.

Last edited:

BrianW

Established Member
I have found this thread interesting and hopefully useful in informing my future trips- tho maybe not until next year now; clocks change and sadly continuing instability and uncertainties in train availability. Those near, or in stations are particularly useful. I second the 'votes' for Darwen, Harrogate, Oban, Whitehaven and Windsor 'spoons; sad when pubs close, noting that even 'spoons are not immune from economic pressures. Thank you to all contributors.

sannox

I'm not in the habit of visiting Spoons, but they can be useful when you need to go somewhere particularly in an unfamiliar place.

Largs, whilst a nothing building in an old seafront amusement arcade, has a nice position on the seafront looking out towards Cumbrae.

CarltonA

The Royal Hop Pole in Tewkesbury is outstanding IMO. It is a nice old building and the food and drink is above average. The Catherine Wheel in Henley on Thames comes next on my list. Both are hotels, though I can't speak for the standard of accommodation.