• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

“Better than average” Wetherspoons

DelW

Established Member
There are plenty of Wetherspoons that are better than an "average" pub. No loud music getting in the way of conversation and drink prices usually cheaper, so if just meeting a friend for a pint I'd rather pay less for the Wetherspoons than go to a Greene King, Nicholsons or other pub and pay more.
Their refillable teas and coffees are good value too. I occasionally meet a friend for an afternoon natter, and as we're both driving we stay off the alcohol. Two coffees each in 'spoons is just over £3 (total). Last time, for a change we went to a newly opened coffee shop (whose name escapes me now), and the bill for two coffees each was around £15 with a modest tip. Okay, the coffee was posher and we didn't have to self-serve it, but it certainly wasn't five times better!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
Their refillable teas and coffees are good value too. I occasionally meet a friend for an afternoon natter, and as we're both driving we stay off the alcohol. Two coffees each in 'spoons is just over £3 (total). Last time, for a change we went to a newly opened coffee shop (whose name escapes me now), and the bill for two coffees each was around £15 with a modest tip. Okay, the coffee was posher and we didn't have to self-serve it, but it certainly wasn't five times better!

I know so many people (just like me) who head for Spoons to meet up over a coffee now. Why pay extortionately more when you can have unlimited tea, coffee, latte or hot chocolate for £1.56?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I'll pay GBP/EUR3-4 each for a really decent coffee now and then to support an independent local business.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I know so many people (just like me) who head for Spoons to meet up over a coffee now. Why pay extortionately more when you can have unlimited tea, coffee, latte or hot chocolate for £1.56?

I had a coffee with free refills in Banbury Spoons t'other day for £1.04

dk1

Veteran Member
No, it was ten days ago and having just checked on the App, the price is still the same today.

Amazing value mate & even more reason to go in. Biscuits cheap too.

I notice through my constant travels across the country to tick them that prices vary greatly depending on location & affluence. Some impoverished locations have ridiculously cheap prices and Wetherspoons are often the nicest hospitality in the town.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Amazing value mate & even more reason to go in. Biscuits cheap too.

I notice through my constant travels across the country to tick them that prices vary greatly depending on location & affluence. Some impoverished locations have ridiculously cheap prices and Wetherspoons are often the nicest hospitality in the town.

Indeed. Ten years ago I enjoyed a Sunday Roast in the Welsh Valleys for a fiver and was astonished to find a Christmas dinner on offer in December 2022 for the same price, in Pwllheli.

dk1

Veteran Member
Indeed. Ten years ago I enjoyed a Sunday Roast in the Welsh Valleys for a fiver and was astonished to find a Christmas dinner on offer in December 2022 for the same price, in Pwllheli.

Oh my days I would never want to return to Pwllheli again. Stayed overnight in the town and found the large spoon the busiest place in town. Our hotel was so off putting we went back to The Pen Cob for breakfast even though we paid for B&B.

Enthusiast

Alas you won't get one now. 'Spoons scrapped its Sunday Roasts in 2016.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I think the removal of Sunday roast from the spoons menu was more than the little silly. I know that one or two still offer it as a chef or managers special but this requires thinking outside the box and being able to no doubt justify the additional ordering and investment and associated blabla as well as having someone in control of the kitchen who can actually cook rather than put things in and out of a microwave or deep fat fryer

dk1

Veteran Member
I think the removal of Sunday roast from the spoons menu was more than the little silly. I know that one or two still offer it as a chef or managers special but this requires thinking outside the box and being able to no doubt justify the additional ordering and investment and associated blabla as well as having someone in control of the kitchen who can actually cook rather than put things in and out of a microwave or deep fat fryer
It all took too much time and was more of a disruption in busy kitchens with limited time/space. Just didn't flow.

Snow1964

Established Member
The Albany Palace in Trowbridge is closing for 3 months, will receive a £2.1m upgrade (including incorporating part of a disused office next door), and reopen 11th June. The refurbishment will mean the Albany Palace will be able to seat 232 people who wish to eat inside instead of 150 at present – an increase of 82. It will also seat 66 people in the new 753 sq ft beer garden.

Howardh

Established Member
I pop in to one occasionally and while appreciating the cheap prices, the interior of every single one appears to be identical, chairs, tables, event the leaflets/menus, same TV screens showing the same news..) Bit like going to one of those shopping malls where every shop is the same as the ones in your town!! (Superdrug, Next etc etc).

At least there's no "musak" - at least not those I've been in, which is a huge plus!!

DMckduck97

I pop in to one occasionally and while appreciating the cheap prices, the interior of every single one appears to be identical, chairs, tables, event the leaflets/menus, same TV screens showing the same news..) Bit like going to one of those shopping malls where every shop is the same as the ones in your town!! (Superdrug, Next etc etc).

At least there's no "musak" - at least not those I've been in, which is a huge plus!!
Not forgetting the subtitles while it's on mute that are about 10-15 seconds out of tune. They should just turn the TV off at that point.

My local one had the woman's world cup on the telly on mute aswell

dk1

Veteran Member

Would be Lloyds No1 if it did.

Not forgetting the subtitles while it's on mute that are about 10-15 seconds out of tune. They should just turn the TV off at that point.

My local one had the woman's world cup on the telly on mute aswell

Yes again can only have sound if trading as Lloyds No1.

Andrew S

I'm in one right now with music, I don't think it's a Lloyd's No 1 branded outlet. If it is it isn't obvious. Not that it matters.

Mikw

I quite like Spoons to be honest, you know what you're going to get. Service is quick with the app too.
I brought a round of two pints of bitter the other week, bill was £3.90
Was more than double that in the pub across the road for the same drink.
And there was, horror of horrors, a "Live DJ" in the place with the more exepensive drinks

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I quite like Spoons to be honest, you know what you're going to get. Service is quick with the app too.
They have their place but they’re not as good as a local pub with its regulars. In Spoons I tend to have this cloak of invisibility when I’m stood at the bar waiting to get served. I’ve been at a bar for ages being ignored by the staff who are busy sorting out app orders by those who can’t be arsed bothered to go to the bar to order drinks like they would in a proper pub.

jon81uk

Would be Lloyds No1 if it did.

Yes again can only have sound if trading as Lloyds No1.

I'm in one right now with music, I don't think it's a Lloyd's No 1 branded outlet. If it is it isn't obvious. Not that it matters.

I don't think they really use the Lloyd's No 1 brand anymore. There is a pub with that name but its not used on others that I've seen now.

DelW

Established Member
I can only suggest that you must have visited quite a limited selection! There have been a number of different "house styles" over the years from mahogany and dark blue in the 1990s to light wood and pastel colours a few years later. Some have heavy wooden furniture, other light metal frame items. Seating varies between booths, low tables, and high tables with stools. And of course, famously each pub has its own bespoke carpet design.

The ones I visit keep any screens either very low-key or off, so they certainly aren't intrusive other than occasionally during big sports events. That and the absence of piped or jukebox music is a big plus for me.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Unfortunately, March isn't a great month for Spoons with a branch closure planned every Sunday apart from the 31st, which is Easter Sunday anyway. Four consecutive Sundays isn't good.

The small consolation will be the opening of the Filey Primrose Valley Holiday park branch for the Easter school holidays, but no definite openings are planned after that, holiday parks or not.

dk1

Veteran Member
I don't think they really use the Lloyd's No 1 brand anymore. There is a pub with that name but its not used on others that I've seen now.
My local was always Lloyd's until around 7yrs ago before becoming just a Spoon. After the pandemic it went back to being a Lloyd's with DJs at the weekends.

Now in the Bell Norwich and one of the long serving staff told me the brand name still exists.

Last edited:

Mikw

They have their place but they’re not as good as a local pub with its regulars. In Spoons I tend to have this cloak of invisibility when I’m stood at the bar waiting to get served. I’ve been at a bar for ages being ignored by the staff who are busy sorting out app orders by those who can’t be arsed bothered to go to the bar to order drinks like they would in a proper pub.
For me it's not a question of not being ars**ed to queue, i use the app because it's quicker often. Also, if i'm solo visiting i don't like to put my bag on a table to "reserve" it and then leave it there while i queue, hoping nobody walks off with it.

Andrew S

I use the app, I like it for the same reason, it not wanting to leave belongings unattended when going to the bar.

dk1

Veteran Member
I use the app, I like it for the same reason, it not wanting to leave belongings unattended when going to the bar.

I don’t use the app for coffee as see no point in them eventually bringing me a cup only for me to walk back the same way to fill it. I do however often order food and beer especially if the bar is busy.

Established Member

Likewise, I also use the app if I'm with a group and we're placing a large order.