• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

00:30 Cardiff - Church Stretton

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only a trivial query and I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum, but here goes..

I've noticed that in the current timetable, and in the up-coming one, ATW run a train in the early hours of Saturday mornings from Cardiff Central to Church Stretton (departing the Welsh capital at 00:30 and arriving at Stretton at 02:33). Now this has to be the only train that ever terminates at Church Stretton - does it carry on to Shrewsbury (but heads straight to the sidings) or does it scuttle off somewhere else? I do find it quite strange.

Can someone explain the point of this train and why it randomly terminates in the middle of the Salopian outback? (Incidentally I'm moving to the said Church Stretton very soon, so it's become of some interest!)

Thanks. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
In Arriva's timetable until May '09, the train was shown as going on to Shrewsbury, arriving 0250. I guess that it forms the 0519 SHR-SWA on the Heart of Wales line. Does Shrewsbury station now close for the wee hours, or might Severn Bridge Junction signal box be closed at 0250?

If SBJ is closed at that time then where does the train go? I wouldn't have thought that would be the case...? Maybe it is to do with Shrewsbury station closing earlier now?

djw1981

Established Member
If the signal box closes could it not just become a vey long signal section with points fixed?

Tomnick

Established Member
Almost certain that SBJ doesn't have the facilty to 'switch out' (it wouldn't make too much sense to have one provided in any case, given the variety of movements) - and in any case, that wouldn't help the empties off this working to shunt away inside! Equally, I can't imagine that the unit would remain at Church Stretton or return south from there. National Rail suggests that Shrewsbury station is open 24 hours from Monday morning to Saturday evening (but almost contradicts itself), so that's unlikely to be the reason. They can't run straight into the sidings, but it looks slightly easier to go via the loop between English Bridge and Abbey Foregate, then a single reversal at the latter (rather than reversing twice if they ran via the station). Perhaps it's to maintain route knowledge over the loop?

Seems this is the mystery train! :P

(Just to add - the 00:30 from Cardiff Tue-Fri (does not operate on Mondays) terminates at Hereford at 01:55.)

I've had a look at advance singles using this train, and it turns out that with a 16-25 railcard I can go Paddington (d 22:45) to Church Stretton (via the "mystery train") on a Friday night for just £7.90! Deal!

t0ffeeman

It'll be complete **** for the train crew to turf peoople out at CS. I'd expect a decent union to jump on it....

Tomnick

Established Member
Really? If a train's advertised to terminate at Church Stretton, then I wouldn't have thought that anyone (excepting anyone who's insensible with drink) would be expecting to use it to get to Shrewsbury. It'd be rather like getting on a train to Chathill and then complaining that it hasn't taken you to Edinburgh :) .

AFAIK (now that Wellington is no longer used as a terminus for any services) Church Stretton is the only station in Shropshire (other than Shrewsbury of course) which has a passenger service terminating at it... albeit once a week in the middle of the night!

Status
Not open for further replies.