• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

0624 Edinburgh-Glasgow XC - how busy is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chrism20

Established Member
That ones pretty quiet throughout, the one an hour later is the busier one.

Chrism20

Established Member
A thought on this train...how come XC operate a Scottish domestic service? Is it a depot positioning move?

Pretty much to get them in place for the Glasgow to south coast services. The one an hour later does Dunbar to Glasgow.

There is a Dundee to Aberdeen in the morning and an Aberdeen to Edinburgh in the evening to get everything to/from Craigentinny

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
A thought on this train...how come XC operate a Scottish domestic service? Is it a depot positioning move?
It’s not much different to XC operating an early morning Southampton to Bournemouth service is it? This was an ECS until last December.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It’s not much different to XC operating an early morning Southampton to Bournemouth service is it? This was an ECS until last December.

Indeed, just a conversion of what otherwise would be e.c.s. moves to get the stock from the depot (be it Craigentinny, Eastleigh etc) to wherever the 'proper' services start. Whether or not some are passenger for franchise commitments alone I do not know, but if the guard is are already present (as would be the case for an ex-Glasgow), the existing empty move is a regular one come what may (no danger of an equivalent passenger move being cancelled as the stock is elsewhere), and there is passenger demand to justify it then it may be worthwhile running them as passenger trains. ATW in the Valleys and Greater Anglia around Broxbourne have had a spate of them in recent years for example.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Are you looking for metals?

I think they are starting the half-price ticket scheme on the A2B soon.

I'm guessing introduction of a route "via Bathgate" on Edinburgh - Glasgow tickets?

---

Other previous ECS services into passenger services in recent months I can think of is TfL Rail with the Gidea Park shorts, used to return to Liverpool Street as ECS (I believe)

InOban

Established Member
Last year I was pricing an advance ticket from Oban to Edinburgh Park, and found that it was more expensive to use Bathgate than to use Falkirk, and come back from Haymarket. Weird. Eventually went the whole way by coach, which being of a certain age, cost me nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.