• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1000th shack bash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
This saturday will see me get my 1000th shack. (Im on 992 now so should do anyway!) Any advice on which one to have?
As my signature suggests, Ive finished the Northern network and wouldn't be able to get 8 shacks on the Heart of Wales line in a day.

Needs to be a day trip from Warrington.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
This saturday will see me get my 1000th shack. (Im on 992 now so should do anyway!) Any advice on which one to have?
As my signature suggests, Ive finished the Northern network and wouldn't be able to get 8 shacks on the Heart of Wales line in a day.

West Midlands Day Ranger ? Or have you done all tha stations on the cross-city line, or the lines out of Moor St. / Snow Hill. Plenty of choice there.

backontrack

Established Member
How about catching an early train to Bank Quay to Glasgow and getting some rural Scottish stations?
Or heading out west from Bank Quay to Holyhead, Llanfair PG or the Conwy Valley?

Established Member
Bevan Price:2436427 said:

West Midlands Day Ranger ? Or have you done all tha stations on the cross-city line, or the lines out of Moor St. / Snow Hill. Plenty of choice there.
very littlw required on LM, mainly the southern WCML shacks and they're waiting for Great Escapes to come back! Polesworth is dud before someone says that!:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
backontrack:2436431 said:
How about catching an early train to Bank Quay to Glasgow and getting some rural Scottish stations?
Or heading out west from Bank Quay to Holyhead, Llanfair PG or the Conwy Valley?
1:Lamington Viaduct
2:Conwy Valley is shut.

I thought of both of those and I've got a lot of scottish trips planned! Doing the Far North line next month.

Nice idea though lol

backontrack

Established Member
very littlw required on LM, mainly the southern WCML shacks and they're waiting for Great Escapes to come back! Polesworth is dud before someone says that!:D

I thought of both of those and I've got a lot of scottish trips planned! Doing the Far North line next month.

Nice idea though lol

:oops:

Well, a nice idea anyway. :lol:

I remember that you're doing the FNL. When heading northbound, it's good to have a seat that faces east towards Aberdeen. That way, you'll get the views of the Beauly Firth, the Dornoch Firth, Loch Fleet, the Moray Firth and the River Helmsdale. Also, some of the 158s have a declassified First Class area with plug sockets, so you might want to sit there (although you might want a reservation, though this might not be necessary).

You can still do Llanfair PG, though, can't you? So, why not try doing Colwyn Bay, Llandudno Junction, Llandudno, Deganwy (a request stop), Conwy (a request stop), Llanfair PG, Valley and Holyhead? Gives you some scenic route coverage with a couple of request stops and a famous station.

Established Member
backontrack:2436454 said:

Nice idea though lol

:oops:

Well, a nice idea anyway. :lol:

I remember that you're doing the FNL. When heading northbound, it's good to have a seat that faces east towards Aberdeen. That way, you'll get the views of the Beauly Firth, the Dornoch Firth, Loch Fleet, the Moray Firth and the River Helmsdale. Also, some of the 158s have a declassified First Class area with plug sockets, so you might want to sit there (although you might want a reservation, though this might not be necessary).

You can still do Llanfair PG, though, can't you? So, why not try doing Colwyn Bay, Llandudno Junction, Llandudno, Deganwy (a request stop), Conwy (a request stop), Llanfair PG, Valley and Holyhead? Gives you some scenic route coverage with a couple of request stops and a famous station.
Ive got a bash plan for the north wales coast including Llanfair PG and the Conwy valley, although I can fully see why you said it! Ive done Deganwy, Flint and Llandudno Junction so I need a lot over there!

Established Member
backontrack:2436466 said:
Well, I've never even been to Wales! At least you're ahead of me. :lol:
Ive had 13 shacks on the Heart of Wales and a third of the Cambrian:D

crehld

Established Member
What about the line between Crewe and Derby? Easily doable in a day trip from Warrington. Peartree, with its limited service might be a nice 1000th if you can plan it that way.

Established Member
crehld:2436577 said:
What about the line between Crewe and Derby? Easily doable in a day trip from Warrington. Peartree, with its limited service might be a nice 1000th if you can plan it that way.
Shout that. That'd only get me 5 shacks though, including Peartree.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Shout that. That'd only get me 5 shacks though, including Peartree.

Yikes, Peartree. Hopefully the gate will be fixed when you do choose to visit, I nearly got trapped inside :lol:

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
My 1000th was Whittlesea/y near Peterborough. It would be cool if you also managed to bag it as your 1000th!

Established Member
Kite159:2437229 said:
Bit late to book advances, but a nice day trip to London from Warrington ;)
Done London the last two weekends! VT have an excellent value £23.75 SSR from Crewe with a railcard going at the minute.

Might take up Gathursty's suggesting of Whittlesea just for the banter:D:D
backontrack:2437223 said:
Derby to Nottingham - Spondon, Long Eaton, Beeston as number 1,000?

There's Attenborough, too.
Attenborough is the only one on that line I need!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Somewhere on a day trip, I'm going to suggest a couple of things:

South Pennines Day Ranger
Borderlands Line shack attack
Metrolink clearout
Sheffield Supertram clearout
Lancashire Day Ranger
Cumbrian Coast Day Ranger

Or, slightly more adventurous, a Midland Metro clearout?

Not knowing what you need in a reasonable area from Warrington doesn't help!

Status
Not open for further replies.