• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1030 Arriva Trains Wales of Manchester to South West Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael.Y

Established Member
If they really only had 150s available we shouldn't grumble, but they have been keeping their 16 to 22 mark 2 carraiges, bought to increase capacity so I'm told, out of service...

We really need a broken record emoticon. These Mark2 carriages are just supposed to propel themselves to Manchester and back are they??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Are there diagrams that only run Birmingham International - Shrewsbury shuttles (being attached/ detached at Shrewsbury)? They'd be perfect for 150s (coupling up to 158s bound for Holyhead/ Cambrian).

NO - all Holyhead bound trains and the portion that detaches at Shrewsbury and re attached to the inbound service from Holyhead to BHM INTL come off the Cambrian and vice versa. You could stick a portable RETB set on a 150 if you had to but ETCS says No!

0514 ABR to BHM INTL forms 0909 BHM INTL to Holyhead
0730 ABR to BHM INTL forms 1109 BHM INTL to Holyhead
and so on.

tbtc

Veteran Member
NO - all Holyhead bound trains and the portion that detaches at Shrewsbury and re attached to the inbound service from Holyhead to BHM INTL come off the Cambrian and vice versa. You could stick a portable RETB set on a 150 if you had to but ETCS says No!

0514 ABR to BHM INTL forms 0909 BHM INTL to Holyhead
0730 ABR to BHM INTL forms 1109 BHM INTL to Holyhead
and so on.

Ah, so it's

• Two coaches Holyhead - Shrewsbury
  • Four coaches Shrewsbury - Birmingham International
  • Four coaches Birmingham International - Machynlleth
  • Two coaches Machynlleth - Aberystwyth/ Pwllheli
  • Two coaches Aberystwyth/ Pwllheli - Machynlleth
  • Four coaches Machynlleth - Birmingham Interiational
  • Four coaches Birmingham International - Shrewsbury
  • Two coaches Shrewsbury - Holyhead

(?)

Oh well, that spoils my cunning plan of having 150s shuttling between Shrewsbury and Birmingham International <D

Rhydgaled

Established Member
These Mark2 carriages are just supposed to propel themselves to Manchester and back are they??
Of course not, but there are locos around (admittedly they and the mark 2s are probably in need of refurbishment, but the fact is they exist). If there weren't locos around, I doubt ATW would have bought the mark2s in the first place.

Ah, so it's

Just about, though from fairly recent topics I think there are some 6-car workings around now.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Ah, so it's

(?)

Oh well, that spoils my cunning plan of having 150s shuttling between Shrewsbury and Birmingham International <D

Not forgetting that 150 sets are 75 mph only , may not have train crew knowledge from Machynlleth depot - and at some glorious time in the future - NR will get 90mph approved Wolverhampton - Salop (that in itslef being a tedious and unsatisfactory story) - it is funded though.

I wouldn't mind having some 150s on the Cambrian line. Nowadays in Birmingham, you'll be lucky to see a sprinter on any route

In the circumstances I'd rather put a 150 on the Birmingham International - Holyhead route (which sees fewer longer distance passengers) and a 158 on the Manchester trip (if there aren't enough 175s) but that would require some swapping around of stock etc.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've seen a two car 158 between Birmingham Intl and Shrewsbury before, so maybe that's incorrect

Ah, so it's

(?)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Yes, they do attach and detach portions at Shrewsbury but they are intermixed with the Cambrian which 158s only can work, i,e, Shrewsbury - Birmingham - Aberystwyth/Pwllheli. Are they not timed at 90mph (top range of 158) over certain stretches and 150s are max 75mph.

VideozVideoz

And if a 150 does Manchester Pic to South Wales, how much time is lost due to the max speed of the 150s?

Masboroughlad

Established Member
And if a 150 does Manchester Pic to South Wales, how much time is lost due to the max speed of the 150s?

I arrived Shrewsbury approx ten late. I think this must be due to speed of unit. We didn't get stopped and we were going flat out I am sure.

VideozVideoz

Also I guess there is sufficient padding in the timetable so if a 150 does run, it can make up time by not having to wait around at certain main stations (Crewe, Shrewsbury, Newport and Cardiff spring to mind)

Michael.Y

Established Member
Can only speak from experience, but I've worked 150s to Holyhead that have kept exactly to time (and indeed lasted longer than the 158 we were towing!). Also 150+153 combos have worked CDF-MAN on a Sunday before now without relying on padding too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.