• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

14.33 Brighton - Southampton today (07.04.16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishopstone

Established Member
The Southern 'alterations' page, on their website, states the above service is formed of five coaches instead of four. Likewise the return working and the rest of the diagram for today.

Is this an error? If not, what class of unit worked these services: 377/6, 377/7 or 442? I'm not aware of any of these sub-classes working west of Hove in service before, but perhaps I've not been paying attention?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Philip C

You may be interested to know that the 0822 Ore-Brighton slow has been a 5-car working both yesterday and today. I presume that this will also have applied to the associated down working (0532 Victoria-Ore). As for class/sub-class I can only say that it wasn't Cl.442 and had just one first class section, at the inner end of the trailing/fifth carriage upon departure from Warrior Square this morning.

Dart34518

The Southern 'alterations' page, on their website, states the above service is formed of five coaches instead of four. Likewise the return working and the rest of the diagram for today.

Is this an error? If not, what class of unit worked these services: 377/6, 377/7 or 442? I'm not aware of any of these sub-classes working west of Hove in service before, but perhaps I've not been paying attention?

Thanks in advance.

A class 377/6 was used as we are short of 4 car units at the moment due to maintenance etc. It will also be on the 18.28 BTN-SOU. They have been used before at weekends on the diverted Vic services via LIT. One also made it to pompy by mistake once too.

Bishopstone

Established Member
A class 377/6 was used as we are short of 4 car units at the moment due to maintenance etc. It will also be on the 18.28 BTN-SOU. They have been used before at weekends on the diverted Vic services via LIT. One also made it to pompy by mistake once too.

Thanks. So rare west of Ford, and potentially the first one in passenger service to Southampton?

Regarding Philip C's post, in several years of commuting on East Coastway I don't recall seeing a 377/6 at Lewes or further east. I presume the cause, again, is shortage of serviceable 377/1 and 377/4 stock.

pompeyfan

Established Member
A 377/6 was caught the wrong side of an engineering block at Havant recently and spent all day shuttling between PMH and HAV. But certainly the first time I've heard of it west of Portsmouth.

trainmania100

Established Member
I believe 377613 has been working the Brighton to Southampton 5 car services, due to train shortages which were allocated to services with staffing issues, so the southern website says.

sarahj

Established Member
There have been some issues with a few 377's recently. I've worked some right bit of rubbish recently. One had so many faults I told the driver to take it to the scrappy rather than back to Lovers Walk.;)

I was surprised when I saw the message of a 5 car on the Southampton train. Not 100% sure of the stopping pattern of that train, but from Brighton the only short platform for most of those would have been Lancing. My basic guess is that these trains mainly run in DOO mainline service, so perhaps the conductor panels had not been fully tested. On these trains your moving from panel to panel as you go along and ....... But you never know.

Still, could be worse, I was on my hands and knees on the 442 from Eastbourne to London Bridge on tue morning trying to fix faults. Door issues had led it to be late out into Eastbourne for the start and we left 3 mins late. Slowing for the land slip and it was 5 late all the way to East Croydon. Slow approach into London Bridge and arrival 10 mins late. Watching the signal sequence on the approach from New Cross Gate was just bizzare, esp on trains that accelerate like an asthmatic snail.

Philip C

You may be interested to know that the 0822 Ore-Brighton slow has been a 5-car working both yesterday and today. I presume that this will also have applied to the associated down working (0532 Victoria-Ore). As for class/sub-class I can only say that it wasn't Cl.442 and had just one first class section, at the inner end of the trailing/fifth carriage upon departure from Warrior Square this morning.

0822 Ore-Brighton back to usual 4-car Cl.377 this morning.

HBM

Prior to 377613 reaching Southampton it is believed there has only been one other instance of a 377/6 on West Coastway through Chichester and onward into SWT territory to Portsmouth / Southampton.

377620 mysteriously arrived in Portsmouth late on Easter Saturday 04 April 2015. Three 377s were berthed in Portsmouth that evening to perform shuttles between Portsmouth Harbour and Havant on Easter Sunday 05 April due to an engineering block East of Havant. 377620 performed one of these diagrams all day on the Sunday.

The three 377s were again berthed in Portsmouth on the Sunday evening. Easter Monday 06 April (a Saturday timetable) 377620 formed an early service Portsmouth to Victoria and then remained on the Victoria - Southampton / Portsmouth circuit all day visiting both cities twice.

The reason for this strange working was unclear and would have required each of the northbound attachments at Horsham to be to a 4 car on the preceding service from Bognor Regis rather than an 8 car.

387star

On Moderation
Will the 377/6 make anymore known appearances down to chichester eager to sample one

physics34

Established Member

ha ha i remember when a 377/6 went to pompey by mistake and feathers were rattled. It was stuck down on the coast for a couple of days if i remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.