• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

153305 - FGW Refurb!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefab444

Established Member
In my opinion, they're both to blame. Why couldn't FGW reinvest some of their profits into a semi-permanent hire of say 5 rakes of 6 Mark 2s with top 'n' tail 47s (some from Cotswold and some from Riviera?) for usage on the busiest Wessex area services (for example Taunton - Gloucester/Cardiff/Worcester etc. and Portsmouth - Cardiff). The 47s would ensure a fairly large basher contigent, especially if the services ran on Saturdays too.

The added investment of even 2 LHCS trains would surely pay off AND be beneficial to customers across the network (who doesn't get the LHCS will get the units displaced by it, in theory). FGW have proved they can do it with the one-off (?) shuttles a few weeks ago, so why can't they do that regularily?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
The shuttle didn't run I don't think.

Thing is, FGW could easily fund a whole new DMU fleet but as the railways are a business, apparantly, it doesn't happen.

thefab444

Established Member
They did, I bashed them.

By which I mean the Bristol - Chippenham shuttles, not the proposed Taunton - Cardiff ones. They were caped.

Jim

Established Member
I shall rephrase...

Quite moaning at FGW, redirect anger at the DafT/Department for Tarmac

Why, FGW split the 3 car units - not DfT? The timetable was fine before FGW took over and cocked it all up - and DfT didn't chnge that many needs in the West did they?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The DfT has decided to underwrite only a certain number of vehicles, meaning some units had to go off lease and others had to be split to be reformed.

The DfT also tries to discourage operators from buying their own trains as it causes problems should the company go under or the franchise be removed - the DfT don't want to be left with the burden. Similarly they want services to only be run by the allocated units and rolling stock they know they've got for similar reasons.

class 313

Established Member
The DfT also tries to discourage operators from buying their own trains as it causes problems should the company go under or the franchise be removed - the DfT don't want to be left with the burden. Similarly they want services to only be run by the allocated units and rolling stock they know they've got for similar reasons.

Doesn't First Group own a few of their HST Power Cars?

T

Tom

Yep, but the HST fleet isn't really a problem. It's much more the 'West' fleet.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, they do. The DfT were notified about this as they knew it would reduce their costs. It wasn't an ideal situation, and relying on any more vehicles that don't belong to RoSCOs isn't likely to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.