• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

156 on the North Berwick stopper today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Does anybody know why there was a barbie liveried 156 working on the North Berwick train this afternoon?

I saw it a couple of times today, but unfortunately didn't have my camera out the first time and was driving the second.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ossy5190

When that happens it's normally due to a 322 failure. I was on a SPT one a few months ago and that was what the guard/ticket examiner was telling us over the tanoy. 158's and 170's are more common though, much rarer to see a 156 being used.

Established Member
When that happens it's normally due to a 322 failure. I was on a SPT one a few months ago and that was what the guard/ticket examiner was telling us over the tanoy. 158's and 170's are more common though, much rarer to see a 156 being used.

Yeah, it's the first tiem I've heard of a 156 being used instead of a 322.
I thought they usually used a 318 when they didn't have enough 322s though.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Used to use 318's but now guards are out of competency as are Edinburgh drivers. They're all being used anyway. The 322's are getting an unreliable reputation. Many cancellations from central past few months due to train faults. I'm surprised there was a 156 going spare as it is!

Established Member
Used to use 318's but now guards are out of competency as are Edinburgh drivers. They're all being used anyway.

Fair enough, I suppose then.

The 322's are getting an unreliable reputation. Many cancellations from central past few months due to train faults. I'm surprised there was a 156 going spare as it is!

It certainly caught me by surprise.

Is it possible that another 156 (or a 158 or 170) could be out tomorrow because of that being out today?

CarterUSM

Established Member
Perhaps, it depends what the problem is. There are very few spare 156's at the moment due to the new timetable on the benhar road and killie too. I suppose something may have been cancelled to provide this. I cannot wait to see the back of the 322's!

Established Member
Perhaps, it depends what the problem is. There are very few spare 156's at the moment due to the new timetable on the benhar road and killie too. I suppose something may have been cancelled to provide this. I cannot wait to see the back of the 322's!

Well, it's not too long til that!

From the outside, I quite like the 322s, but I can understand why you wouldn't like them :lol:

CarterUSM

Established Member
I've only worked them the first time they were up as a trainee, but they seemed fine back then. There seems to be nothing but problems with them recently. They are nice enough though, pretty roomy and plenty of cycle storage. Yes, once the 380's are out things should be better. Maybe. :)

Established Member
I've only worked them the first time they were up as a trainee, but they seemed fine back then. There seems to be nothing but problems with them recently. They are nice enough though, pretty roomy and plenty of cycle storage. Yes, once the 380's are out things should be better. Maybe. :)

Well, I guess there are likely to be teething problems with the 380s, but they should be better.

CarterUSM

Established Member
Yes, I bet there will be. The motherwell drivers are supposed to be breaking them in up and down the WCML when they come over. I can't remember them doing similar with the 334's though. I vaguely remember there was a bit of bother with them at first. I think they got a couple of units for free because of it.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Is it possible that another 156 (or a 158 or 170) could be out tomorrow because of that being out today?
my colour

I think you mean today and yesterday bearing in mind that it was past midnight (00:38 ) when you posted!

But we know what ya mean 90019!

me123

Established Member
Never heard of a 156 out that way (Edinburgh doesn't get many 156s any more, other than Shotts line services). Have heard of 170s and occasional 158s in the past, though. But yeah, it is possible in the case of 322 failure.

I wonder if they would bring out a 318 nowadays?

I do envisage 334s getting a spin on this line when Airdrie-Bathgate is complete. Aside from the 322s (and, eventually, resident 380s) they'll be the nearest electric stock, and probably will be first in line to cover a failure whilst they get a spare train from Glasgow.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think you mean today and yesterday bearing in mind that it was past midnight (00:38 ) when you posted!
No. De facto when that was posted it was still the same day (27 February) and only by de jure would it be the day after.

Status
Not open for further replies.