• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

158s or 350s for New York?! (Interborough Express (IBX))

Status
Not open for further replies.

the sniper

Established Member
;)

But seriously, 'Conventional rail' is hopefully a no brainer for this project. I think they are heavily inspired by the likes of London Overground, so it should be so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To be fair there are both 350s (well, more like 360s as they aren't gangwayed) and 158s in Thailand! They do seem to have a thing about UK stock. "I want that one" I think :)

Shinkansenfan

But seriously, 'Conventional rail' is hopefully a no brainer for this project. I think they are heavily inspired by the likes of London Overground, so it should be so.

There are other considerations, such as operating and maintenance (O&M) cost structures associated with different modes/likely operators, regulatory compliance, work rules and corporate operating practices.

In general, NYCT train operator and train conductor wage rates are less than the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) engineer and train conductor wage rates.

Operating practices vary; it takes the LIRR longer to turn a train (reverse direction) at terminals compared to NYCT, despite both using EMUs. Part of that is explained by FRA requirements; part by operating culture.

The BRT and LRT modes would operate with one person (the operator); the commuter rail mode may require 2 person train crew. The LIRR does not operate trains with DOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.