16:23 Edinburgh to Euston service

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by bengolding, 29 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bengolding

bengolding Member

The Live Departure Board today shows a 16:23 service from Edinburgh to Lodnon Euston, calling only at Preston at 18:51 before arriving at 21:27. In theory, but in reality, it arrived at 22:48 having left Edinburgh 30 mins late.

So what is this mysterious train? Virgin running an additional service to cope with demand or perhaps a celeb chartering a service? Unlikely, as the train was scheduled to set down and pick up at Preston.

All the more mysterious, as there was a 11:33 from Euston to Edinburgh earlier, calling only at Preston at 13:48, which arrived at 16:49, 40 late.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. driver9000

driver9000 Established Member

Virgin had been running additional services between Edinburgh and London to help out while East Coast were diverting via Tyne Valley. I don't know if this is still the case though. The Preston stop is for crewing purposes.

There is also one in the morning at 09:25.

4. bengolding

bengolding Member

That's very kind of Virgin to help out East Coast, then. Wonder where they got the additional stock to form this round trip earlier. A timing of 4 hours hours 36 minutes from London to Edinburgh with one stop beats many current East Coast services. I wonder if Virgin will again tap into the London to Edinburgh market with similar fast headline direct services on a permanent basis? A 11:33 from Euston would do much to alleviate chronic overcrowding on the 11:30 to Glasgow and satisfy those who despise the East Coast First Class offering. There used to be a 16:46 direct from Euston prior to the VHF being introduced.

5. HSTEd

HSTEd Established Member

There is apparently one train per day, but the normal timing is 5:44 as it appears to run all stops to Carlisle.... very odd, is this an extension of a Birmingham-Edinburgh train?

6. driver9000

These non-stop services are extra and run on Saturdays as 1Zxx rather than 1S/1Mxx.

I can't find a 5:44 - where is it from and is it am or pm? The only one I can find today is 1M54 departing Edinburgh at 10:52.

7. OMGitsDAVE

OMGitsDAVE Member

The 5:44 is the length it takes, by no means the scheduled time aha!

8. driver9000

That explains it :oops:

I've found the booked service in each direction now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.