• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16-25 £12 minimum - what about return leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help with the The "£12-minimum-before-10.00" rule on 16-25 Railcards please:

If a passenger buys a return (valid 1 month) at £10 with a 16-25 railcard in order to travel outward at 1900 Friday, are they debarred from returning at 09.35 on a Monday - or does the restriction only apply to the outward journey?

If the restriction does apply on the return, then what options do they have to excess their ticket, either up to the £12 minimum, or to the full £15, if their plans change after the outward journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It is as Bletchleyite says above.

However, enforcement is, in my experience, rather lax. I’ve never been excessed up to £12 on the return leg - Northern guards I’ve encountered have always treated the return leg as being unrestricted.

Had one gentleman at Salford Crescent barriers mention it when I had an £11.80 ticket, but he refused to take my 20p piece and waved me through :lol:

_toommm_

Established Member
So what's to stop someone buying a railcard ticket and using it before 9:30 if it's under the £12. I did it once by accident and the barriers and guards didn't pull me up. Surely you can buy an anytime for a later train to get the discount and use it before 9:30am...

BluePenguin

On Moderation
So what's to stop someone buying a railcard ticket and using it before 9:30 if it's under the £12. I did it once by accident and the barriers and guards didn't pull me up. Surely you can buy an anytime for a later train to get the discount and use it before 9:30am...
Nothing at all :D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's 10:00 not 09:30 and and it's up to staff to spot thus and charge the excess.

Status
Not open for further replies.