16-25 Railcard Time Restricrions

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by nunited4eva, 23 Oct 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nunited4eva

nunited4eva New Member

First of all apologies if this question has already been asked and solved before:

Right so I am wanting to travel from Alnmouth to Middlesbrough next Monday. Normally I buy a super Off peak return at the price of £13.15 and travel after the 10am time restriction.

But for this particular journey I want to catch the 7:59am XC service to Darlington before then changing to the Midlesbrough train.

When I search on the East Coast website it says even with Railcard selected that I would be able to get an Off Peak Return and use this for 65p more costing £13.80.

So the question is.. will I still have to pay the minimum fare of £12.00 because will be travelling before the 10am time restriction or not?

(because according to the East Coast site it doesn't mention anything about me having to pay a minimum fare even though its before 10am)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited: 23 Oct 2011
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. SS4

SS4 Established Member

The £12 minimum fare is just that - a lower limit on the fare you have to pay. If the discounted fare is above £12 you will get the full discount as though it were after 10am.

As £13.80 > £12 then you will pay £13.80 and get the full discount (the minimum fare does not apply)

4. nunited4eva

nunited4eva New Member

Ahh okay I see...

That's clear now.

Thanks alot :)

5. CompactDstrxion

CompactDstrxion Member

That ticket has impressive value. Compare with Edinburgh to Carlisle, my 'pet peeve' Off Peak Return, the same distance roughly but 2.5 times the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.