• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

185143-Trip Publishing Expected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Croeso y Cymru! 02/09/17

Day 3

Today was going to be a bus day-as an Explore North Wales Flexipass gives 8 days bus travel and 4 days rail travel. I had planned to go down to Chester via Merseyrail, but I did my usual thing and decided to flag that as it would eat into too much of my restricted day. I got a lift to Warrington Bank Quay and purchased a ticket that would take me to Chester. I accidentally on purpose missed the dud hippo on the 10:26 Llandudno service in favour of travelling via Crewe. The 10:39 Euston service was dud 221101 which was rather well loaded.

I purchased a drink from the onboard shop and stood in the vestibule of Coach D, along with several others. The TM decided to announce that we were approaching Crewe, for reasons known only to himself, as we passed Acton Bridge! This meant the aisles were full of passengers intending to alight for the next 12 minutes or so...

I had 2 possible moves onward from here, either the Chester shuttle in 20 minutes or a VT service in 40. I asked for the gen on which voyager it was, and it was a dud so I headed to platform 9-along with the rest of the world. A hippo arrived, 175004, which I think actually left people behind. Why was it so full? Chester Races! Great(!) A lot of adult beverages were shared out across the vestibule-and it wasn't the most pleasant journey I've ever had...

I was therefore glad to alight 20 or so minutes later and went for a PNB as I had no idea when the next opportunity may be. I left the station with the intention of catching one of the new Enviro400City buses on Arriva Wales Service 1 to Wrexham. One departed as I left the station, but I only had to wait 12 minutes for the next one. 1002 was the next bus to arrive. This was my first time on an E400City and... WOW! What a bus they are! Luxury seating, 4 tables, USB sockets for every passenger and TIP DOWN TABLES on the non-table seats! I recommend the rearmost tables upstairs, as due to the design of the back window, you get a near panoramic view out of the back. There are also 3 single seats opposite the top of the stairs too. The journey down to Wrexham was about 40 minutes, which is pretty good for a 13 mile trip, Liverpool South Parkway to the City centre can take longer than that! The bus offered a spectacular view of Chester Racecourse as we passed too.

After what felt like no time at all, I had to alight from my new favourite bus as ‘Y safle Nesaf yw Wrecsam Gorsaf Fysiau’. I had no real plan from here, so I looked at the departures, having to look at the timetables at each stop as the main display helpfully wasn't switched on. I had to resist temptation to board the T3 to Barmouth, which didn't look too full-but they were running a duplicate. No point using a rover on a free TrawsCymru bus is there! I made my decision and stuck with it. I boarded Arriva Sapphire E400 4503 to Denbigh then Rhyl on service X51. I found a seat upstairs, complete with smashed iPhone down the side which was handed to the driver before departure.

My phone and tablet were plugged into the plug socket on wall which, unlike my previous trip on one of these E400s, actually worked! The scenery along the route was simply stunning-unlike anything else I've ever had the pleasure of doing. It went over hills over 1000 feet above sea level, and down a rather windy road through a reasonably large forest. I alighted in Rhyl some 135 minutes later and went for a PNB in the railway station. Next up was open top ALX400 3998 working route 1 to Talacre Beach via Prestatyn. The seafront views were rather nice, but it soon got very cold very quickly!

Most people on the bus seemed to have had the same idea as me, and were simply having a ride on t'open top bus-so everyone upstairs stayed on the bus back to Rhyl. I had around an hour to waste until the bus back to England, so I took advantage of being at the seaside with a trip to the arcade (which is MUCH better than the one in Southport I visit occasionally when Merseyrail breaks) and got a couple of sticks of rock for the journey home.

I returned to Rhyl Station for a PNB before my 2 hour journey on the 11G/11 back to Chester. I had a Sapphire E400, which is always a positive-the Cymru Coastliner branded VDL DB300s are better buses than E400s, but the interior is really poor for a 2 hour trip. I took a single seat on the upper deck of winner 4539 for the trip to Chester-which quite frankly was awful. The plug+wifi worked at least, but the bus was freezing and had quite a lot of young children upstairs, who-unsurprisingly-got quite bored quite quickly! I was rather surprised when I alighted, noting I was the only passenger tight enough to do that full journey on the bus, that the driver changed his destination to ‘Holywell am/for Rhyl’ That bus wouldn't get back to Rhyl until nearly midnight!

I had a 20 minute fester before my train back home, and seemed to be the only sober person on Chester station! I managed to attract some drunk guy who decided to stick to me-to the point that he sat next to me on the nearly empty train... he got up at Frodsham to look for the loo after we'd arranged a train trip to Russia together(!) And presumably got lost as he thankfully never returned. I didn't realise until after I'd alighted that I hadn't checked the unit number-I later found out it was dud 175106. It turned out to be a weird end to a great day-with several required buses and new routes done.

Day 4 was spent at home doing nothing due to the Merseyrail strike and the general poor bus services on offer on Sundays. Day 5 and 6 to come! (At some point!) I type this on Day 7, my last rail day.

Winner Buses:4

Established Member
Croeso y Cymru! 04/09/17

Day 5
Trains again today! (I’m getting used to this...) However as the Safety Critical Guards on Merseyrail were taking Industrial Action again over reasons that everyone knows, and as most of you should know, two members of traincrew are necessary, so I don't need to elaborate further on that do I? Good!

Due to the strike, I got a lift to Chester again-quite early today as it was time for something special. I arrived at Chester Station a little before 07:10 and was greeted by members of the RMT giving out cards at the station entrance. I took one, and was (of course!) Thanked for my support when the rep saw the ‘Keep the Guard on the Train' badge I proudly wear whenever I leave the house. I looked at the card-and it wasn’t what I expected! I was anticipating it would relate to the strike action-especially given the small picket nearby. But no. It's the Wales and Border franchises turn to put profit before public safety now...
This was something I was unaware of, so it came as quite a shock! This was of course not even 12 hours after 150217 smashed into a tree at Llanbradach, the outcome of which could have been very different indeed had the driver been injured. Yet another incident that is a perfect example of why a second Safety Critical member of staff needs to be guaranteed on every train.

ANYWAY, before I type a page about all the failings of DOO, I headed into the station and onto platform 4B. Winner 67016 was awaiting me, but I had something else I was more bothered about than IDing the skip first. Breakfast! I boarded in the Buffet coach and handed over just shy of £8 for a cooked breakfast and a bottle of coke. Much like when I went to Cardiff on the WAG in 2015, the catering service was fantastic-very friendly staff, we had a nice chat while my breakfast was cooking (along with extra bacon vice rancid tomatoes and mushrooms!) And the food was excellent. The toast was a bit overdone admittedly, but it was really hard to believe that I was on a train and I had just ordered that onboard. A world away from BR's curled sandwiches that's for sure! The guard was nice enough to check the rest of the carriage and come back for my ticket so I could finish eating, which I was grateful for.

Once I'd been gripped, I headed to the vestibule to ID the skip which was the aformentioned winner 67016. Wrexham-Shrewsbury was required track for loco haulage as we were diverted via Crewe when I went to Cardiff. I'd previously done the WAG from Wrexham to Flint at the end of bashing the shacks on the Borderlands line (which was an excellent day!) A week earlier. I had a very long fester at Shrewsbury-nearly 90 minutes, so it was time for every bashers friend-a fill in move! I hoped for a winner 158 when I saw ‘formed of 2 coaches' on the boards, but it wasn't to be. 175010 was taking me one stop north to Gobowen, and I'd forgotten how far apart Shrewsbury and Gobowen are! It's a surprisingly scenic journey too, which is always a good thing. I had about 20 minutes to wait at Gobowen, and I noticed a co-op as I used the level crossing-so I took advantage of it.

The Southbound train was again formed of 2 coaches, and was another hippo-175005 this time. The journey back to Shrewsbury seemed to pass a lot quicker than the journey to Gobowen! I only had 15 minutes at Shrewsbury this time round however. Double duds 158837+158822 were taking me towards the Cambrian Coast today-I had a couple of plans, I settled for plan B as I was on a dud and bailed nearly 40 minutes later at the single platform at Caersws. The guard showed appreciation of my badge too and asked if RMT were giving the cards out at Shrewsbury, which I didn't know the answer to! After a short 15 minute-or so fester, duds 158827+158841 arrived to take me 10 minutes down the line back to Newtown. I elected to stand and managed to throw a fair bit of my drink on the floor when I got gripped...

I had 20 minutes at Newtown before the Aberystwyth service arrived, which passed fairly quickly. Dud (this was becoming a theme...) 158829 was my chariot to Borth which I think, on a nice day at least, is my new favourite station. The single platform is very exposed, but the view in spectacular. The village has a lovely beach with a great view across the coastline too. After 40 minutes or so, 158829 returned. Had it been an option, I'd have happily flagged it and waited for next service-alas, I was a man with a plan!

I bailed at Dovey Junction 9 minutes later, one of only about 5 passengers to do so. A massively different scene from that on Friday as all the schools had gone back! A nearly empty dud 158833 arrived and I secured one of the coveted table seats on the left hand side and requested to alight at the small, windy single platform halt at Llanbedr. The view along the line, right on the sea wall was fantastic-though it wasn't difficult to see how the line was so badly damaged in that storm a few years ago that closed Pont Briwet bridge for nearly a year. I only had 25 minutes here, but that was quite enough.
158837 (hello again you) came back from Pwllheli to take me down to Llanaber. The wind had really eased off by then, and the assistant guard proceeded to tell me, out of the cab window as the train departed to have a wander down to the beach as the view was exceptional. Normally I would stay on the shack but I had over an hour-so I went down to the beach. What, however, he never told me was that the access to the beach from the end of the rather Braystones-like platform was a section of the line that had been rebuilt in 2014. A new trackbed had been installed and massive rocks had been deposited for a fair way in front of the sea wall.

I tried clambering over the rocks, but there were too many and they were wildly differing sizes. Knowing that would go tango uniform, I proceeded to walk along the sea wall, almost losing my footing a few times with the slime that had built up on it-obviously the sea does reach the bottom of the wall then, proving the worth of the boulders and reinforced concrete sea wall. Eventually however, the ledge I was walking along ended. There weren't too many rocks at this point so, not really fancying the walk back along the wall, I proceeded to clamber over the rocks. Mistake number 1. There was a fair bit of water around, and I was getting wet feet, so I took my now wet shoes off. Mistake number 2. The very next rock I stood on was rather slippery, and I fell. I landed across a rock, and now had soaked sleeves on my coat as I'd put my arms out to break my fall, which mostly went into a pool of water. It was as I was clambering over the last rock I felt a pain in my big toe. I looked down and saw it, and 3 others were bleeding. Great.

I put my shoes back on and walked back to the station, up an extremely steep road off the beach. Being ‘Big Boned' as a certain Northern Comedian would say, that wasn't the easiest task anyway, but I had a pain in my other foot now. Walking the 0.6 miles back to the station was no easy task and I arrived with about 3 minutes to spare. It was onboard the train I dived into the bog and found out why. I had a nice cut on the underside of my foot which looked like it had sand in it. Ouch.

I filled up my drink bottle and washed my feet over the bog the best I could, but it wasn't ideal. So anyone visiting Llanaber, DON'T go onto the beach the way I did. It will end badly!

158822 was quite busy and I bailed at Harlech to hobble over the footbridge for a Shrewsbury service. I noticed a couple of enthusiasts, obviously a Father and Son at the end of the platform, the son wearing a ‘We Are Northern’ badge. I knew I recognised them from somewhere... remember when I got my last Northern 156 on the Cumbrian coast back in March and I was talking to a Northern driver based at Skipton? It was him! We had a chat, and I was unexpectedly told I had to change at Mach for Shrewsbury. I managed to get a sea view table again on dud 158833. I was kind of glad that I'd have to change trains-that gave scope for a winner on the ex-Aberystwyth I'd be joining. That winner was... dud 158823. This is really becoming frustrating now! Anyway, I settled into a table seat and popped the phone on charge for the journey to Shrewsbury and started working on this report.

I had a couple of options for getting home-the one that worked best was the 19:24 Chester service, so I went up to platform 4B to board the service to Chester. I immediately flagged it when it arrived as it was Damien-yet again! I replanned my journey home, and waited for the 20:13 Chester service, formed of 175006 which I took to Crewe-in the hope of red penning a VT voyager on the Holyhead service. The hippo thrash to Crewe was rather good, and I alighted just over 30 minutes later. After a short 10 minute fester, double duds 221108+221102 took me onto Chester. I picked up an Evening Standard onboard, found the puzzle page and completed the sudoku puzzle just as we arrived into Chester.

The unit that had worked the 20:24 Shrewsbury-Chester service arrived, and it was a dud 158. I had a 30 minute fester for my train home which unfortunately was also a dud 158839. I'd purchased a ticket home at Machynlleth while it was on my mind and took a table seat onboard the train for the minute journey back to Warrington Bank Quay.

I'd had a good day, despite the red pen only coming out once, but several shacks were scored. 3 more to go! Day 6 was another bus day (well, afternoon) which will follow soon.

Winner Locos:1
Winner Shacks:6

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
When's your trip to Russia than? ;)

Sounds like a good few days although that doesn't sound like a very pleasant trip to the beach at Llanaber...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Sorry about your injurys. I can't speek for others who read this thread but as far as Im concerned we are on the same wavelength Re guards/doo etc.

Sounds fun, esp the WAG breakfast, but theres nout wrong with tomato and mushrooms!

Kite159

Veteran Member
At least you did Llanaber during the hours of daylight ;)

(All in fairness that walk back to Barmouth at 10pm was very relaxing along the sea wall).

What no 158820 action that day? ;)

Last edited:

Established Member
At least you did Llanaber during the hours of daylight ;)

(All in fairness that walk back to Barmouth at 10pm was very relaxing along the sea wall).

What no 158820 action that day? ;)

I flagged it! It was on the 19:24 SHR-CTR!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That express run you did which goes RA SHR-NWP has always been a 175 when I've seen it. I don't agree when it comes to Chester to Shrewsbury being more enjoyable than Crewe to Shrewsbury, I find the route via Wrexham to be sleep inducing, especially the bit between Gobowen and Shrewsbury!

Mega ouch to the injuries gained at Llanaber, keeping going on a bash when that happened cannot have been easy!

The bus moves sound interesting it must be said, and I now would like a go on the Traws Cymru routes in North Wales. The first bit from Ruabon to Llangollen I have done, but need the rest. The bit I have done was certainly quite good according to memory, although it has been many a year since I did the Llangollen Railway. The 20 and 46 were still up there after all, and they left quite some time ago! I think it was 20142 up there (20137 is on the Glos Warks I think, could be the other way around) and it is an absolute monster. As is 37240, my LORDZ that was some fun moves!

Mach to Aber is a nice run, but the run between Mach and Newtown is also rather good. I haven't been north of Penhelig in a very long time, but it is truely a lush line to ride on and I really need to get back up there to enjoy it again.

Rather looking forward to the rest of the tale when it's ready, very much enjoyed the read of your Welsh adventure. I'm well out of touch so didn't know the new Welsh franchise was looking at DOO. Quite concerning it must be said, and I only hope that they don't go for that!

Kite159

Veteran Member
That express run you did which goes RA SHR-NWP has always been a 175 when I've seen it. I don't agree when it comes to Chester to Shrewsbury being more enjoyable than Crewe to Shrewsbury, I find the route via Wrexham to be sleep inducing, especially the bit between Gobowen and Shrewsbury!

Mega ouch to the injuries gained at Llanaber, keeping going on a bash when that happened cannot have been easy!

The bus moves sound interesting it must be said, and I now would like a go on the Traws Cymru routes in North Wales. The first bit from Ruabon to Llangollen I have done, but need the rest. The bit I have done was certainly quite good according to memory, although it has been many a year since I did the Llangollen Railway. The 20 and 46 were still up there after all, and they left quite some time ago! I think it was 20142 up there (20137 is on the Glos Warks I think, could be the other way around) and it is an absolute monster. As is 37240, my LORDZ that was some fun moves!

Mach to Aber is a nice run, but the run between Mach and Newtown is also rather good. I haven't been north of Penhelig in a very long time, but it is truely a lush line to ride on and I really need to get back up there to enjoy it again.

Rather looking forward to the rest of the tale when it's ready, very much enjoyed the read of your Welsh adventure. I'm well out of touch so didn't know the new Welsh franchise was looking at DOO. Quite concerning it must be said, and I only hope that they don't go for that!

They're not, it's just the RMT throwing another teddy out of the basket as they haven't been invited to the discussions the Welsh government about the new franchise. The other thing which might change is the driver releasing the doors if they get new stock (or stock where it is possible for the driver to open the doors) (like SET, Virgin WC, XC, Chiltern).

I would say "imagine the heart of Wales being DOO" but I remembered some of the rural branch lines in Japan where the driver swings back to sell/check tickets like on a bus :lol:

Established Member
They're not, it's just the RMT throwing another teddy out of the basket as they haven't been invited to the discussions the Welsh government about the new franchise. The other thing which might change is the driver releasing the doors if they get new stock (or stock where it is possible for the driver to open the doors) (like SET, Virgin WC, XC, Chiltern).

I would say "imagine the heart of Wales being DOO" but I remembered some of the rural branch lines in Japan where the driver swings back to sell/check tickets like on a bus :lol:

The Cambrian in summer running as DOO with the driver selling tickets would be something to see... if the timetable lasted 5 seconds I'd be very surprised!

Why exactly would the RMT be kept out if it weren't to try anc delay the inevitable industrial action over DOO?

cactustwirly

Established Member
The Cambrian in summer running as DOO with the driver selling tickets would be something to see... if the timetable lasted 5 seconds I'd be very surprised!

Why exactly would the RMT be kept out if it weren't to try anc delay the inevitable industrial action over DOO?

Nothing has been confirmed about DOO, the franchise hasn't been let yet!
Maybe if the RMT wasn't such a bull in a china shop, then they would be invited!
Anyway the only lines that are suitable for DOO are the Rhymney/Merthyr/Treherbert lines.
Converting those lines to DCO should improve the service.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Get real Sir, converting anything to DCO/DOO improves nothing accept the chances of cokups, potentially life threataning/changing ones at that. Id like to also point out it doesnt improve proffits iether as ultimatly will cost more in other areas e.g unstaffed train calls at unstaffed shack with wheelchair passenger needing to board or alight equals can't happen and TOC pays for taxi and loses future busisness of passenger.

And thats before all the well known safety issues.

It is my understanding that actually no dialog to which the RMT should be invited has yet taken place but they are simply starting their campaign early to ensure it happens.

All a bit pointless as WAG has stressed in other publicity lately the importance of 2nd safety trained staff member so really the union are scaremongering to an extent.

I must side with Tech here, Chester Shrewsbury is super dull!

Established Member
Got £11.28 from XC today for that farce coming back from Nottinghamshire-50% of my SPT-NOT return and all of my Robin Hood Ranger.

Given XC once had a massive backlog of delay repay, I was very surprised and impressed to hear back so soon! Other TOCs could learn from them. Mentioning no names. *cough*NORTHERN*cough* At. All...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I have never had the need to claim with Northern but whilst XC get a lot of stuff wrong, some of which they have limmited controll over their customer relations arm seams super orgonised to me and as someone who claimed during said backlog a while back I still got a good response time off them and whilst their settlements arnt VTWC generous Iv never felt the need to question it as I have with other TOCs, again naming no names VTEC/GTR.

Established Member
I have never had the need to claim with Northern but whilst XC get a lot of stuff wrong, some of which they have limmited controll over their customer relations arm seams super orgonised to me and as someone who claimed during said backlog a while back I still got a good response time off them and whilst their settlements arnt VTWC generous Iv never felt the need to question it as I have with other TOCs, again naming no names VTEC/GTR.

3 months I was waiting...

They had the cheek to reject my claim as I allegedly hadn't written the time of my train on the form(!)

To this day I'm certain I did-I scrutinise things like that very carefully! But I couldn't prove it either way, so lost the claim. It was only about £6 too. Resisted the temptation to reply telling them exactly what I thought of their backlog and where to stick their letter, but I resisted it!:D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Lets just hope Iv never got to claim off Northern then! That said I might file one for insanitty after an hour of Liverpool major alterations announcements on a 319 today, do they have to play it after every stop? And I wason the Preston trainwithout all that many of those!

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm still waiting for GWR to send me my compensation from July!
I only got my VTWC compensation (from 9th August) yesterday.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Talking of Delay Repay has reminded me that I need to chase my BA claim up. If only it was as easy as claiming rail Delay Repay...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Given how generally crap certain parts of the aviation world are at disruption management youd think the regulaters would have made it as simple? Admittedly many airlines look after pax during holdups but the ones that really couldnt give a fcuk stand out for being superly crappy!

Established Member
Lets just hope Iv never got to claim off Northern then! That said I might file one for insanitty after an hour of Liverpool major alterations announcements on a 319 today, do they have to play it after every stop? And I wason the Preston trainwithout all that many of those!

They haven't seriously added to the 319 automatic announcements have they?

If 2 319 PA systems get smashed up in anger tomorrow, it definately wasn't me. Honest.;)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
On the LIV PRE service I was on yesturday lunchtime after every stop (thank god my VTWC and connections ticket didnt put me on the Wiggan stopper) a message about the pending work and closures played with grim warnings of bustitution and a website to visit for further details.

Established Member
Croeso y Cymru! 05/09/17

Day 6
First off, sorry the last few instalments are so late-I kinda forgot all about it...

The day started much later than intended, and I was considering not bothering with my rover for today (as it was a bus day) and just sticking with Merseyrail, however I decided against that. As such I headed to Earlestown station, purchased my 16-18 Saveaway without issue and boarded the 13:01 to Liverpool. As much as I really wanted to bail at St. Helens Junction for the express I decided against it, as that would have delayed my arrival into Liverpool and caused me to miss the Chester train.

After being told 10 times that if I'd boarded that train at a station with ticket buying facilities, in line with the National Rail Conditions of Travel I would only be sold an undiscounted ticket (whatever the hell that means) I arrived into Liverpool Lime Street and took the lift down to the platform that the best trains to serve Lime Street use. One of my favourites, 507026, provided the thrash exceptionally well for the next 45 minutes. Chester platform 7B was reached for about the millionth time this year and after a PNB, I once again headed to the bus stop. One of Arriva Wales' excellent E400City’s again, this time I had 1012 for the trip across the border into Cymru. The weather wasn't too great, but the E400 made light work of the 40 minute journey. My plan for today was to do some of the Wrexham local routes, due to the lack of time.

The first thing that hit me as I arrived into Wrexham was how busy the bus station was. It was school kicking out time admittedly, but I suspected there were far more people at the stops than would fit onto an Optare Solo.

A solo pulled in working route 14 to Brymbo (though it doesn't actually terminate-it does a lap of the estate and comes back.) My fears about it being rather oversubscribed were proved right-E200 number 2149 pulled in behind the solo and I managed to board that, though I was standing. The driver took issue with my ticket as he clearly wasn't familiar with the Explore Wales pass, and decided it wasn't valid as it didn't mention buses on it. I can sympathise to an extent-printing Rail Rover on the ticket *really* isn't helpful! The driver must have thought it was a plusbus though, as he noticed the price was more than a couple of quid and realised it wasn't a plusbus.

The full journey took about 45 minutes, and was actually really scenic. The bus follows the route of the X51 for a while before heading up (literally) to Brymbo. I hadn't realised how high we'd actually climbed! I got a seat after about 15 minutes, and the return journey back to Wrexham was much emptier.

Upon arriving back at the bus station I boarded service 8, which was another unadvertised circular (I forget the advertised destination). E200 time again, 2146 this time. We hit traffic and this route wasn't really anything special, just a ride around some housing estates. Not really sure what I was expecting on a local route... anyway, I was happy to alight at Wrexham Bus Station again 40 minutes or so later-that felt like a much longer route than that!

I was intending to take a PNB, but TrawsCymru caught my eye... E400 SN15 ETE was duly boarded, which had a nice thrashy Scania engine. Not sure why, but I thought there was only one TrawsCymru decker so I was very happy to have scored ‘it'. Llangollen was my destination, and after a very nice run down a fast ‘A Road' to Ruabon and then the very scenic route over to Llangollen, an excellent view from the upper deck on there, I arrived by Llangollen Station 40 minutes later. A TrawsCymru branded E400 passed me here heading back to Wrexham (hence I found out there was more than 1!) Which I wasn't too impressed to see! I had nothing but a PNB on my mind, and got into the public bogs about 90 seconds before they were going to be locked!

The downside here was that I just missed the 18:00 bus, and it's evening timetables now-so I had 30 minutes to wait. Quite frankly I was glad of this, Llangollen is a beautiful little town-I've certainly missed buses in worse places... much of my wait was spent on the bridge across the river admiring the view and considering a trip to the Llangollen Railway. Unfortunately I had to return to the bus stop and start heading home. Aww!

I got a nice surprise though. I got the choice between a D&G Coaches (I think?) Optare Solo or Arriva Wales Cadet 2801 back to Wrexham. That wasn't a difficult choice! The cadet took a different route than the T3, but was nearly empty for the very loud and fast run back to Wrexham. Wrexham was reached just under 30 minutes later.

After a quick trip to the Co-op for a much needed drink, I returned to the bus station for another E400City. I didn't manage to get one of my much loved tables at the back of the bus this time, so I had to make do with one in the middle of the upper deck. 1008 was my bus back to England, which was carrying very few passengers. We only stopped a handful of times, and I spent the journey working on a trip report and making use of the USBs-as I had a fair journey ahead of me still. Chester was reached just after 20:00, annoyingly, so I had a 30 minute fester before my PEP.

The PEP arrived, and I had 507026 again. Nowt wrong with that! One of my mates bailed and said he'd been bashing the WAG, but only the Manchester set on a Cheshire Day Ranger. It'd have been rude not to mention my useage of the proper WAG the day before wouldn't it...

The trip back to Liverpool seemed to pass quite quickly, despite stopping at Capenhurst due to the 30 minutely evening service. (Going non stop through CPU is great fun!) I used my 10 minute fester at Lime Street for a PNB, as you can never trust the DDA Compliant facility on a 319 to work. I headed upstairs and boarded 319364 after making sure that I'd purchased my ticket before I travelled-given I'd boarded at a station with ticket buying facilities. Despite Lime Street having ticket barriers, we still get subjected to that drivel onboard the train, at every single stop. All 11 of them. Not fun!

319364 was fairly busy out of Lime Street, but most people seem to have bailed by Whiston. On Sunday for example, I counted 11 passengers on that service arriving into Newton le Willows! It was a long, slow, dull journey like normal and I was more than glad to bail out!

I still have a rail day and a bus day (well... kind of) from my rover to type up-and my bash from Saturday then I'm back up to date. College is taking a lot of my time again now...

Winner buses:6

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Yes the ticket message is a tad frustrating, not to mention inaccurately threatening as you can still buy discounted tickets if:

1. Booking office closed and wishing to pay cash
2. Most importtant/appropriate to this rant if you are a disabled railcard holder. Failing to mention this strays into dodgy areas IMO.

Good little day again although whilst I wouldnt have got the E200s the cadette is uncharted waters for me as there arnt any in my part of the world. One day perhaps you could introduce me?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think I know of those Cadets, not been on one but I seem to recall they make a nice bit of noise. Not as rateable as the Scania single deckers on the Hereford to Ledbury route though, by gum they are so much fun to ride on. Shame they go to Ledbury...

Glad you liked Llangollen, it's a lovely little town to visit but I couldn't live somewhere so rural. I live in a rural town with only road links to anywhere else, it's frustrating!

Established Member
I think I know of those Cadets, not been on one but I seem to recall they make a nice bit of noise. Not as rateable as the Scania single deckers on the Hereford to Ledbury route though, by gum they are so much fun to ride on. Shame they go to Ledbury...

Glad you liked Llangollen, it's a lovely little town to visit but I couldn't live somewhere so rural. I live in a rural town with only road links to anywhere else, it's frustrating!

What's wrong with Ledbury? (Genuine question-it's a required shack!)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
His X lives there for start, its a pritty dull little place for a 2nd and for a 3rd unless you time it right then a 170 is the train you will get outa there.

Not my ex! Ex-friend yes, but that's another story. 185143, to explain the whole situation we'd need to do either a really long journey with lots of beer or a good few hours sat in a pub with decent beer on tap.

However Blindtraveller is right, as of my last check she still lives in Ledbury. Not talked to her in well over a year and that's how it's staying. Got a fair chunk of Scania thrash out of it though so that was a good thing! I've also endured Voyager mileage as a result of my last trip to Ireland, so not fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.