• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1970 Paddington - Ilfracombe / Minehead train consists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Jumby 74

I’m going to model the Ilfracombe line and base it in the year 1970
If you haven't already, I would recommend you acquire a copy of the Middleton Press book "Branch Line to Ilfracombe" for the (unusually perhaps) large number of images of Ilfracombe station, even if your model will only have the minimal track layout that remained at the end.
I don’t think I have seen many, if any, photos taken from that angle.
I realised the same, after trawling through some of the books I have that include the line. The nearest I did find was a view in the aforementioned Middleton Press volume, taken from closer to the station, the goods shed being partially prominent in the right of view, possibly from the second signal box to be there (the final box being the third I believe), which would date said image to somewhere between the doubling of the line (1891) and the SR's rebuilding (platform lengthening etc) of 1929, but the platform is obscured by a departing train. (Some images in the MP book are undated, so one has to take a judgement call.....The earliest s/box seems to have been even closer to the end of the line, being adjacent to the country end of the goods shed - but I digress).

For the modeller, the view I took does indicate how the ramp end of the 1929 platform extension does skew to the East slightly and also (as many views taken by others also bear out) the track bed alongside the goods shed wall, adjacent to the platform (outside of the canopy) rises, as indicated by gradually reducing depth of visible wall between the window sills and ground level, the climb up the bank starting within platform limits. The goods shed internal siding would have been on the level.
What a wonderful snapshot in time
Thank you. I know some of my pics leave a lot to be desired, but with limited funds at the time etc......!

EDITED by me (BJ)
I realised the same, after trawling through some of the books I have that include the line.
I spoke too soon! Gavin Morrison's "The Power of the Bulleid Light Pacifics", page 76, the potted history of 34072 (257 Squadron), a fine view from the box with said loco propelling empty stock from the carriage siding head shunt in to platform 2. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• BJ-Ilfracombe station June 1975(2).jpg
    BJ-Ilfracombe station June 1975(2).jpg
    214 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Irascible

Established Member
I think it was the 8 or so level crossings too.The one next to Braunton station was at the junction of the Ilfracombe road & the coast road which was a complete traffic nightmare, and probably sitll is :p

You could still go through the arch the council demanded for any resurrection of the Bideford line & parallel the road bridge if you wanted to restore it ( avoiding Town station tho ) but there'd have to be a remarkably compelling case...

Big Jumby 74

Apologies if any of this is mentioned up thread, but reading/commenting from a book I mentioned earlier, "The Barnstable & Ilfracombe Railway" (C.Maggs/Oakwood Press) it may have been tied in with the then North Devon Railway Society (formed 1971) who wished to re-open the line. A completely separate company, the North Devon Railway Company Limited was formed in 1973 to negotiate the purchase and operate the line, the eventual price offered by BR being three quarters of a million £. By summer 1974 this amount was being offered in shares of 10p each, from which £20k was raised (less than 3%). The Acting chairman of the Company passed away at the end of 1974 after which the solicitor acting for the other Company Directors, involved the Department for Trade and Industry to deal with the legal/financial side of things. Perhaps this is why the engineers inspection train was run in Feb 75 to assess the asset situation?

It would seem a decision was come to during early 1975 as it (this book) mentions the rails were lifted later that year, (ie: taking mine and others observations in to account) lifting must have started July earliest/onwards, after which the Ilfracombe station site was sold off for development.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Thanks! Do we know what that was for?

To have track in situ as late as 1975 and still lose the line seems bonkers! ( assume the bridge was the real killer)

As I mentioned above, the most likely reason for the train was to allow potential bidders for the lifting/scrapping contract to see what was there and assess its value. This happened on a number of lines, particularly after the first wave of lifting. BR was making greater efforts to get the maximum value of its redundant assets, rather than just wanting to be shot of them.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As I mentioned above, the most likely reason for the train was to allow potential bidders for the lifting/scrapping contract to see what was there and assess its value. This happened on a number of lines, particularly after the first wave of lifting. BR was making greater efforts to get the maximum value of its redundant assets, rather than just wanting to be shot of them.
thanks - I had missed that. Must have been a slow trundle up the line!

Big Jumby 74

Strange in some ways looking back to those days. I walked the route in '82, by then having a far better camera (SLR) and being better at using same, so was able to take many more pics, particularly at Mortehoe, which was still essentially completely intact - less the gradient post I had lent on seven years earlier. The one old remnant that sticks in my mind (and I have a photo) is Ilfracombe's Down Distant signal, which was still standing proud in '82 on the approach to Slade Tunnel.

EDITED by Me (BJ)

For the benefit of the OP in their desire to make a model of Ilfracombe. I was in similar mode back in the '80s, but never got around to it (in relation to making a model of Mortehoe station). I did at the time though, through my contacts, acquire a track/ground plan of Mortehoe station (40 feet to the inch scale) from the Plan Arch under Waterloo station, which I still have, and combined with the multitude of photos I took in 1982 give me more than enough detail to make an accurate scale model of the station and its buildings - if ever I get around to it......might still happen, in my defence!

But in essence, if you wish to obtain such (scale track) plans, contact NR via their website. Such (track) plans are NOT listed (as far as I can tell?) on their mainstream web site, you will need to speak to someone in person (via their listed contact details?), and be prepared to pay a modest sum to have same scanned/copied and sent to you (I guess?). I have various such plans for certain major SR(SW) locations which were acquired in those days, being reprinted in full, and sent to me as a rolled up plan in a tube. Clapham Junction in full and unrolled, takes up (as a guess in this moment from past times of looking at same) 20 feet or so, which can not be opened on the floor within my living room unless I move furniture around....

Just depends how much you are able/prepared to spend on the detail of your proposed model I guess?

Last edited:

Veteran Member
That is correct. It was June 75 when I visited with the family, I being in my teens. Took a few (very poor by today's standards) photo's, at Braunton, Mortehoe and Ilfracombe, even posing for a shot whilst leaning on the gradient post alongside Mortehoe Down yard as was, where the 1 in 40 climb eased to what looks (in the photo) like 1 in 268 through the station.
A pic of sorts I took attached here taken from the top of the signal box steps at Ilfracombe.
I'd better check my photos, as my memory that the track was lifted is clearly wrong.

Grecian 1998

From what I've read, the staffing costs required by the multiple level crossings was the primary reason for closure. If the LSWR had been more averse to level crossings a century before, it might have survived. Easy to say with hindsight of course - I don't think LSWR directors of the 1860s and 70s could be expected to predict the road traffic of the 1960s somehow.

I doubt the bridge helped though.

Big Jumby 74

I'd better check my photos, as my memory that the track was lifted is clearly wrong.
Likewise. All my family records say in effect 1975, but not to say it may have been '74 that we were there, but certainly no earlier looking at my own self at Mortehoe....! Here's my view of Braunton for comparison with that taken (above) of the 25 on the inspection saloon.

Difficult to tell, given the summer growth of flora etc, in my view (attached), but I can't see anything of the Up Home signal beyond the crossing, which is clearly in view in the image of the 25 standing at the station.

Attachments

• BJ-Braunton Station June 1975.jpg
    BJ-Braunton Station June 1975.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Even though the trip took place in February, it would then have taken several months for the tendering process to be gone through, and then for the successful contractor to get their staff and equipment in place. It wasn’t as if the stuff was was going to deteriorate much more over the summer and anything easily liftable would already have gone. (“Is that a 60’ length of rail in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?”)

From what I've read, the staffing costs required by the multiple level crossings was the primary reason for closure. If the LSWR had been more averse to level crossings a century before, it might have survived. Easy to say with hindsight of course - I don't think LSWR directors of the 1860s and 70s could be expected to predict the road traffic of the 1960s somehow.

I doubt the bridge helped though.
You wouldn't know today that a railway ran through Braunton, with its two level crossings. I think the main problem was the lack of local traffic - Ilfracombe's less than ideal station location didn't help - and Mortehoe & Woolacombe station was nowhere near said places. There was also a precipitous decline in domestic holidays from the early '60s. It should also be remembered that North Devon was a depressed area then, and even the line to Barnstaple was seriously threatened. The area's fortunes only revived with the A361 Link Road to the M5. Despite his major disgrace, Jeremy Thorpe MP, did successfully campaign for the M5 Link Road and retaining the line to Barnstaple.

Big Jumby 74

Likewise. All my family records say in effect 1975
Remembered belatedly the earlier post up thread mentioning The Cornwall Railway Society web page. Some excellent photographs there (of the Ilfracombe road) under the 'Devon' pages section, including scenes of all the stations (with track still in situ) along the route, taken by Roger Winnen during a CRS mini bus tour of the line on 7th June 1975.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks- was trying to follow the oath of the railway on google maps - they've done a good job removing all trace of the bridge in Barnstaple..

Yes definitely, if you know what you’re looking for you can work out where it ran but it’s certainly changed a lot around there.

Clayton

On Moderation
If people are interested in this and are on Facebook there’s a great group on there devoted to the Ilfracombe line, run by a guy called Jon Kliem. Lots of wonderful pictures and bits of info - I believe only one Western made it up there.

Harvester

Established Member
If people are interested in this and are on Facebook there’s a great group on there devoted to the Ilfracombe line, run by a guy called Jon Kliem. Lots of wonderful pictures and bits of info - I believe only one Western made it up there.
Was this D1055, mentioned in post #22 by @Magdalia? I assume it was weight restrictions on the Taw bridge that prevented the use of Western diesels to Ilfracombe. The Westerns were heavier than a ‘rebuilt’ WC/BB Pacific loco and the latter were prohibited!

Taunton

Established Member
Very probably in the great shunting yard in the sky
Such comments a bit gobstriking when I recall I was doing those two trips (albeit youthful, though on my own) to Ilfracombe 10 years before this! Must have been summer 1965 and 1966. The Taunton-Barnstaple line had been one of the last Taunton steam turns, with 43xx, until Taunton shed closed in Autumn 1964, then the line was diesel for its last two years and these journeys. It was still double track on to Ilfracombe then, apart from the initial Barnstaple section over the viaduct (done at a crawl) and through Barnstaple Town station, convenient for the town unlike the remaining Junction station, which is nowhere near - actually it's in the next town; Barnstaple area residents would say the station is in Sticklepath. This initial section through Barnstaple had an unusual feel, little-fenced off and with hand-swung level crossing gates, it probably had not changed from when the line opened in Victorian times.

Here are some shots of the Taunton line, including the last train :

341o2

Established Member
I have always associated the Warship class, rather than the Westerns with secondary routes in Devon. The story of the ill fated North Devon Railway company has been recounted in an article from the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway's site, reproduced from a railway journal. Rather than discuss what happened, on page 4 Warship 814 Dragon is depicted at Ilfracombe a little over a year before the line closed, plus two pictures of the station during demolition on page 5.

https://www.lynton-rail.org.uk/files/pdfs/North_Devon_Railway_Company.pdf

Plus, Barnstaple also had Victoria Rd station, the construction of this chord enabled through running between the Taunton line and Junction stations without reversal to Ilfracombe. The goods yard lasted until 1970

Last edited:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Such comments a bit gobstriking when I recall I was doing those two trips (albeit youthful, though on my own) to Ilfracombe 10 years before this! Must have been summer 1965 and 1966
The comment related to the driver who worked that last train. Having not been able to identify him I don’t know if he’s still about or not (Schrödingers driver?).

Big Jumby 74

The D1055 working that I mentioned was to Barnstaple, not Ilfracombe, and it was in 1973, after Ilfracombe had closed.
Following on from this thread, and possibly more of a 'trivia' question, how many Hymek's made it to Ilfracombe I wonder? From posts above based on Cornwall Railway Society site we have the following;

D7006, with 8.10 a.m. ex Paddington. xx June 1970.
D7098 with BB 34079 leading on xxxx Ilfracombe departure. 29th (?) August 1964. In the Hymek's defence I am assuming the BB was hitching a life as a result of an unbalanced loco diagram :lol:

Admittedly I do not possess all books about the line that have been published.

Edited/added:

D7100 at Ilfracombe on 25th July 1964, displaying HC '1O85'. Middleton Press book.
D7097 with 12 noon (1O87) to Waterloo on the climb towards Mortehoe. 29th Aug 1964. Middleton Press book.

For the OP, Warships seem to have been far more common, but for variety of (model) power I have seen a pic of D6338 on the route as well and DMMU's of classes 118 & 120 designs.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
D7098 with BB 34079 leading on xxxx Ilfracombe departure. 29th (?) August 1964. In the Hymek's defence I am assuming the BB was hitching a life as a result of an unbalanced loco diagram :lol:
A reasonable length train out of Ilfracombe would require double-heading or banking up to Mortehoe.

Magdalia

Established Member
Railway Observer October 1965 has the following. I've read it a few times and I'm still not sure what it means! To me it only makes sense if the Paddington train ran every day.

NORTH DEVON.-On the line from Exeter passenger workings are largely in the hands of Hymeks and DMUs although the Paddington trains were observed on a number of occasions hauled by Warships. D802 was seen on the Sunday, and D828 during the week, but none were seen on the Saturday. No NBL Type 2s were seen on passenger trains during the Monday-Friday period, as against a number of workings last summer, although they were out in force on the Saturday extras, including banking up to Mortehoe and Woolacombe.

A separate report has an NBL Type 2 on the 1020 Saturdays Ilfracombe-Cardiff load 4 coaches hauled by D6344 on 31/07 and D6348 on 07/08.

Taunton

Established Member
The Taunton to Barnstaple line was steam until Autumn 1964, when Taunton steam shed closed. Thereafter it was short 2-car dmus, WR 3-car sets with the middle trailer removed, except on summer Saturdays when most of the service became Hymek-hauled, four coach sets, some of which extended to Ilfracombe. The Hymeks just seemed to turn up from freight services on these occasions. This lasted for two more seasons until the line closed in Autumn 1966. The same changeover from dmu to Hymek on Summer Saturdays applied on the Minehead line as well.

At least one North British Type 2 was based at Barnstaple, it appeared, maybe two, and operated among others freight services down through Torrington. These was surprisingly extensive into the 1970s and beyond, well after Hymek time, but I never heard of one getting down there, possibly their weight was an issue. When the North British locos were withdrawn Class 25 and 31 took over. There were block trains of china clay and of milk tankers, as well as the normal rural freight of inward coal traffic of the era. These locos would have been around on Summer Saturdays as well for passenger services. Both passenger and freight service on the Torrington line was part steam pretty much until passengers ceased in Autumn 1965, one of the last steam services in the area.

The very excellent Rail-Online website has some great photos. Sorry I can’t do a link but if you type Ilfracombe into the search you’ll see:
NB Type 2 D6327 in July ‘64
Warship D806 in ‘68 with head code 2C87
An excellent high level colour shot of the shed, signal gantry and turntable
Also plenty of steam era photos.

Big Jumby 74

Railway Observer October 1965 has the following. I've read it a few times and I'm still not sure what it means! To me it only makes sense if the Paddington train ran every day.
Looking at Table 1 for WR on TTWorld, in 1965 there were through trains Ilfracombe to Paddington and return on 'Weekdays' (ie SX & SO).

On the UP it was 11 a.m. off Ilfracombe, which combined with 9.20 a.m ex Falmouth at EX St D, arriving Paddington 3.35 p.m.
On the Down, it was 11.30 a.m. from Paddington, which divided at Exeter, one portion for Falmouth, the other for Ilfracombe, arriving 4 p.m.

For the same year there were also through trains on Sundays, but only for three dates, 30th May, 6th June and 13th June.

UP: 11 a.m from Ilfracombe, which combined with 11.40 a.m. ex Kingswear at Exeter, arriving Paddington 4.45 p.m.
Down: 11.30 a.m Paddington to Kingswear, which had a portion for Ilfracombe, arriving at 4.47 p.m.

By 1967, it appears the only through trains were two UP and two Down, on Saturdays (only) in the high summer, 27th May until 16th September.

UP: 11 a.m. Ilfracombe to Paddington, arriving 4.15 p.m., and 3 p.m. Ilfracombe to Paddington, due 7.55 p.m.
Down: 08.50 a.m. Paddington to Ilfracombe arriving 2 p.m., and 1.18 p.m. Paddington to Ilfracombe due 6.08 p.m.

It would seem the timings changed again by 1968 as Gloster alluded to somewhere up thread. My guess is the Warships were likely diagrammed for the through London's whilst the Hymeks (and NBL's?) may have been charged with working the Ilfracombe portion of through trains and/or local services?

Status
Not open for further replies.