• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1973 tube stock for Isle of Wight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drsatan

Established Member
1973 stock.. "heritage??"

What I meant was this. The Lymington branch, until May (when the two 3CIGs used are withdrawn) will be a 'heritage' line because it uses slam-door stock and the stations were repainted in BR Southern Region colours, the Island Line could become a 'heritage' line in the same vein. This could be as simple replacing the station signs with LU roundels.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
What I meant was this. The Lymington branch, until May (when the two 3CIGs used are withdrawn) will be a 'heritage' line because it uses slam-door stock and the stations were repainted in BR Southern Region colours, the Island Line could become a 'heritage' line in the same vein. This could be as simple replacing the station signs with LU roundels.

Good idea, I quite agree too. :)

Maybe at the same time the loop at Brading can be put back so trains can run every 30 minutes and not the crazy 20mins, then 40mins gap there is now.

As nice as that would be, it seems that its been dropped again from any immediate plans and so has the signalling work. With regards to the 73 stock, it wouldnt surprise me at all to see it in either unpainted (or painted silver) livery albeit with yellow warning panels - Island Line doesnt really 'do' branding and i cant imagine SWT will want their brand associated with old tube trains.

Chris

kennethw

I understand that the trackbed between Brading and Bembridge is in private hands, site of Ventnor station an industrial estate. Does the trackbed to Ventnor West, more conveniently situated still exist? However, would be very pleased to see any lines reopen. Any chance of getting through Newport as the station site is now under a bypass, but closure of the Newport to Cowes section should have never taken place
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Maybe at the same time the loop at Brading can be put back so trains can run every 30 minutes and not the crazy 20mins, then 40mins gap there is now.

Agree!! what a way to run a railway

The trackbed to Ventnor West is still there, but its inconvenient and the branch goes in the wrong direction - plus, where the line to Merstone (and Ventnor west) leaves Sandown is now built on. A non-starter im afraid. Its much more practical to extend from Shanklin - there is enough room in the industrial estate for a 4-car platform, the problem is a complete lack of funds.

Chris

Drsatan

Established Member
I understand that the trackbed between Brading and Bembridge is in private hands, site of Ventnor station an industrial estate. Does the trackbed to Ventnor West, more conveniently situated still exist? However, would be very pleased to see any lines reopen. Any chance of getting through Newport as the station site is now under a bypass, but closure of the Newport to Cowes section should have never taken place

The station at Ventor was very inconveniently sited since it was some distance from the town itself. I believe the trackbed from Shanklin is largely intact but Wroxall tunnel is now used to house a water main. Nonetheless, if the line was converted into a tramway it could enter the town itself, which would be more convenient. There have been periodic suggestions to reopen the line since the 1980s but none of them have ever been taken seriously, quite possibly since no-one's willing to pay.

When the Shanklin-Ventor section was closed in 1966 at the time of electrification, the official reason given was that it was very unprofitable, but there were rumours that the real reason was because an extra sub-station would be required, which the budget didn't stretch to. Neither would the Treasury sanction extra funds for electrification. In other words, if the Treasury loosened its purse strings a bit more then Ventnor might still have a railway!

Newport-Cowes should be fairly easy to reopen as a tramway. The trackbed's now in use as a cycle path (which could be put alongside the tramway), and because trams can run in the street there wouldn't be any problems with finding a station site. Even though a reopened Newport-Cowes line would carry far more passengers than Shanklin - Ventnor, and would be far easier to reopen, who would be willing to pay....

Helvellyn

Established Member

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Wikimedia user Oxyman distributed under the GNU free documentation license, and as such is released under the same license.

That's more EMT Connect than SWT outer suburban, as the EMT livery curls up like that. SWT uses the 'swoosh' for the red and orange.

I actually think the long distance colours (white) or metro (red) would suit the '73 stock better. I can't see SWT applying non-authentic heritage colours to '73 stock (i.e. maroon), and why pay TfL a fee to use LUL roundals, etc?

Burkitt

That's more EMT Connect than SWT outer suburban, as the EMT livery curls up like that. SWT uses the 'swoosh' for the red and orange.

I actually think the long distance colours (white) or metro (red) would suit the '73 stock better. I can't see SWT applying non-authentic heritage colours to '73 stock (i.e. maroon), and why pay TfL a fee to use LUL roundals, etc?

I actually prefer the SWT "swoosh", but the "curls" have been used on all recent applications of the blue livery, both EMT and Sheffield Supertram, so I thought it would be the most likely scheme used on the 73 stock.

Helvellyn

Established Member
I actually prefer the SWT "swoosh", but the "curls" have been used on all recent applications of the blue livery, both EMT and Sheffield Supertram, so I thought it would be the most likely scheme used on the 73 stock.

I think you'd see the "swoosh" used as it is meant to be representative of the south west! London is top right, Weymouth bottom left - or so I was told. Island Line is now part of the SSWT franchise, so any stock would likely gain a variation of the "swoosh" scheme I reckon.

Metadyneman

I reckon the 73 stock would look good in SR Malachite Green, Black roofline above the door line with Bulleid southern style "sunshine" lettering on the sides branded Island Line.

kennethw

latest news indicates that the steam railway have set their sights on St John's rd, but have no desire to extend to pierhead. As well as the practical difficulties re loading guage, what happens at pier head with no run round or coal/water facilities?

There is indeed proposal to reinstate passing faclilties at Brading to enable a regular 30 minute service, the Island line would use platform 3 as a through rd @ St Johns while the steam railway would extend to platforms 1/2 via the other line. I assume Smallbrook Jcn will close as it then would have no purpose

1938 stock to be replaced in 2013, at least the units have had a good innings!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
latest news indicates that the steam railway have set their sights on St John's rd, but have no desire to extend to pierhead. As well as the practical difficulties re loading guage, what happens at pier head with no run round or coal/water facilities?

There is indeed proposal to reinstate passing faclilties at Brading to enable a regular 30 minute service, the Island line would use platform 3 as a through rd @ St Johns while the steam railway would extend to platforms 1/2 via the other line. I assume Smallbrook Jcn will close as it then would have no purpose

1938 stock to be replaced in 2013, at least the units have had a good innings!

If I understand the proposal correctly, there would be a 30 mminute Island Line service between Pier Head and Shanklin, with the trains passing at Brading and Sandown? The steam railway would run through to St John's Road on a single line? Would the steam railway proposals work without a loop at Brading for Island Line?

Drsatan

Established Member
If I understand the proposal correctly, there would be a 30 mminute Island Line service between Pier Head and Shanklin, with the trains passing at Brading and Sandown? The steam railway would run through to St John's Road on a single line? Would the steam railway proposals work without a loop at Brading for Island Line?

The service is currently at 20 & 40 minute intervals due to there only being two passing loops at Ryde St John's and Sandown. There was a passing loop at Brading but that was removed when Brading-Sandown was singled in 1989. Reinstating the passing loop at Brading would allow a 30 minute interval service to be run.

Under the Isle of Wight Steam Railway's proposals, the up line would be solely for the use of their trains, with platforms one and two at Ryde St John's being used as a terminus. Island Line trains would use platform 3

To answer your question, I don't think the steam railway's plans would work without the loop at Brading since Island Line trains wouldn't cross at Ryde St Johns. The only passing loop would be at Sandown, so the service would be even less frequent.

Chris125

Established Member
Unfortunately it seems that the Brading Loop idea has been put on ice by NR, presumably with the rest of the planned re-signalling following a re-appraisal. With the 73TS replacement order also under threat due to Tubelines/TfL's financial problems then it looks like any major changes to Island Line have been put on the backburner. Again.

Chris

subway156

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Wikimedia user Oxyman distributed under the GNU free documentation license, and as such is released under the same license.

As a follow-up to my blue 1938 stock, here's a photoshop of what 1973 stock would look like in the current Stagecoach livery.

Paul

See that? The use of imagination and COLOR! No drab stainless steel. It's colorful and looks so cool. I think this color scheme suits that type of carriage very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.