• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1992 stock Refurbishment?

thomalex

I may be wrong but wasnt the Tinted windows a way of reducing the greenhouse effect?

Indeed. I believe they didn’t have them originally and were introduced early on in their life when the larger windows were noticeably heating up the trains in summer.

The thing is now they have been reduced in height the windows above the seats at least aren’t any larger than what you get on other tube stock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Samzino

Other than where the PIS screen go I think all the other windows are still same standard 1992 stock size

Russel

So it seems the windows are just being left as they are. I had hoped we’d see something similar to the Piccadilly with the now covered sections of the windows getting some form of panel over them and the heavy tint removed now it is less necessary.

Which part of the Piccadilly stock windows were covered over?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Which part of the Piccadilly stock windows were covered over?
The inner part by the perch seat area around the double-doors, the outside still shows the full extent of the window (now masked) but the inside has a small window.

Last edited:

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
On a transport discord of mine someone managed to record a refurbed 1992 stock doing testing. Station staff called it a special train on the video and explained a few things but for the purpose of not having both the recorder and the staff's voice the parts have been cut out. Anyway conversation mentioned the new Displays, you can see slightly in the vid at the start before the train then departs.

Sounds like they have similar motors to the S stock which tbh is a surprise as I thought they'd got the 2009 route.

That just doesn't sound right coming from the Central Line trains...

Established Member
The tinted windows are one of my big bares with the Central making the trains seem gloomy.
But for daily users it was a wonderful relief.

I was using the central line daily when they introduced the tinted windows and it makes such a positive difference.

Indeed. I believe they didn’t have them originally and were introduced early on in their life when the larger windows were noticeably heating up the trains in summer.
IIRC it was actually around 2012/2013!

Mikey C

Established Member
Did they also do the windows of the Waterloo and City Line trains? I can't see why they would need to, and the W&C trains are more original inside, keeping their armrests.

321over360

On a transport discord of mine someone managed to record a refurbed 1992 stock doing testing. Station staff called it a special train on the video and explained a few things but for the purpose of not having both the recorder and the staff's voice the parts have been cut out. Anyway conversation mentioned the new Displays, you can see slightly in the vid at the start before the train then departs.

Sounds like they have similar motors to the S stock which tbh is a surprise as I thought they'd got the 2009 route.

Interesting to see that it has gone for Testing out the Eastern End of the Central Line

Samzino

Does the retractioning make any significant difference to the performance characteristics of the unit, ie better acceleration and braking etc?
More for the reliability than performance but it does seem to accelerate slightly better.

321over360

Does the retractioning make any significant difference to the performance characteristics of the unit, ie better acceleration and braking etc?
To be honest they have pretty good braking at present, especially the speed some come into Platforms at on below surface stations like Gants Hill where they come in at full linespeed i believe

bramling

Veteran Member
To be honest they have pretty good braking at present, especially the speed some come into Platforms at on below surface stations like Gants Hill where they come in at full linespeed i believe

There’s never really been any problem with 92 stock performance … when they’re working properly they motor and brake rather well. Indeed I’d say they are a touch more refined than the 95 and 96 stocks. Reliability has always been the big problem.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Will the waterloo & city line units be getting the refurbishment too?
post from 2021:

321over360

The thing is now they have been reduced in height the windows above the seats at least aren’t any larger than what you get on other tube stock.
Oddly i have found the large windows arent the main cause of the heat on the Central Line having now returned to commuting on them again between Newbury Park & Stratford for the last 9 odd months, I always find the train far hotter when boarding at Stratford going Home after the trains have been in the hot tunnels, than when i board at Newbury Park going West to work, obviously the tinting of the windows is helping when above ground, but the sole problem for the heat is from the Central London tunnel section which isnt being addressed with a means to remove the heat from the tunnels by maybe extra ventilation as even on cool nights boarding a train just after 11pm and the train is still a sweat box even with cold outside air! So the heat is mostly down to that trapped in the tunnels.

Also any update as to when the first train will actually hit passenger service?

321over360

I saw 91001/92176/92054/91201 at Stratford around lunchtime yesterday
A couple of weeks ago I did happen to see the CLIP train come into Newbury Park as I was waiting for a train and saw the second train as Special so waited for it just incase it was it, which it was, I will say one thing, I do not like the new announcement system on it, as its Text to Speech, as I dont get why they are replacing the current ones which are decent announcements to replace with a TTS version. The traction however sounds nice

Mikey C

Established Member
With CCTV and retractioning it sounds good value to me.
I guess that depends on how long they stay in service for.

Once the Piccadilly Line stock is complete, it would be astonishing is the Bakerloo Line trains didn't follow on, and after that would be the turn of the Central Line trains to be replaced if there isn't to be a wasteful stopping and starting of the Goole production line.

Thirteen

Once the Piccadilly Line stock is complete, it would be astonishing is the Bakerloo Line trains didn't follow on, and after that would be the turn of the Central Line trains to be replaced if there isn't to be a wasteful stopping and starting of the Goole production line.
This refurbishment programme does suggest the 1992 stock will be in service for at least another decade which sounds about right if the Piccadilly Line stock is introduced from 2025 to 2027 then Bakerloo will hopefully happen either in 2028 or 2029.

Doesn't the Central Line need the same if not more stock than the Piccadilly Line? I know any order will include the Waterloo and City.

Goldfish62

Established Member

Even if funding for an order was forthcoming from the Government tomorrow I can't see them being replaced until the early 2030s given the Piccadilly and Bakerloo are ahead in the queue.

And I can quite see production stopping and starting again at Goole.

Thirteen

It looks like they're going for a darker moquette judging from the Twitter pic but could be wrong.