• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1995 Stock Creepy Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJD799

I know why the 1996 Stock makes the noise it does, but the 1995 Stock instead makes a really weird creepy noise when accelerating. Why is this?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edvid

Established Member
95 Stock trains are equipped with insulated-gate bipolar transistors, I believe because they were built after the 96 Stock trains (the switch from gate turn-off thyristors was made in-between the two builds).

bramling

Veteran Member
95 Stock trains are equipped with insulated-gate bipolar transistors, I believe because they were built after the 96 Stock trains (the switch from gate turn-off thyristors was made in-between the two builds).

Exactly right. 95 was used simply because that was the original designation for the Northern Line replacement stock, but it was delayed by a few years due to budget issues. By all rights it should really be 98 stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.