• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The article goes on to mention that GWR will use Welsh rules on services that cross the border, which raises the prospect of people making journeys entirely within England having to observe rules laid down by the Welsh government.
It doesn't really work like that.
The TfW web site says face coverings are mandatory, but then says passengers must observe Welsh Gov rules in Wales and UK Gov rules in England.
Some TfW trains cross the border 4 times between Cardiff and Holyhead.

This is the Merseyrail guidance:
In crowded spaces, wear a face covering out of respect for others unless exempt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bertie the bus

Established Member
At Morrisons, except for the pre-recorded message now saying please follow government guidelines and continue to wear a mask and observe social distancing... you wouldn’t know anything had changed since last week or last month or 6 months ago. I’ve been impressed by the way Morrisons have dealt with the whole pandemic and have no issue with the status quo continuing.

PR1Berske

Established Member
My bus home from work at 100% mask wearing downstairs, about 70-80% upstairs. The family of four without did make a case of theatrically hissing "no point in keeping them on" and that sort of thing in earshot!

bramling

Veteran Member
An evening journey on T&W Metro this evening, maximum number was 7 in the metrocar, none wearing masks - excellent stuff.

Paid a visit to a newsagent's to buy a can of coke, there was a middle-aged man all masked up sounding off in there, the lady behind the counter was unmasked and didn't seem fussed about it all, I overhead her saying that about 40% had been wearing masks. The customer was not particularly impressed, commenting that "it's ridiculous, this is going to flare up again".

I've noticed the staff in my hotel are now sneaking them off when they think no one is looking, there's still a sign in the entrance saying "please wear a face covering". No one seems too fussed, though most people are still wearing them around the hotel.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Most but not all staff and customers in Tesco were masked up. But there was no problems for myself and the few that didn't wear them.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Mask wearing in Lidl was at least 80%, same as last week

Mask wearing in Greggs was about 20%, same as last week

We don't change fast around here :D

DelayRepay

Established Member
I've just been for a coffee. The shop's policy is that customers can decide for themselves whether to wear a face covering or not.

I noticed the owner was wearing a face covering. He said he'd been asking customers last week and the majority were in favour, so he wears one to reassure those customers. However, for the last few days the majority of customers have not been wearing face coverings, including quite a few of the people who previously said they would like them to be retained!

One shop in one village but it shows how people's responses to surveys and actual actions do not align!

johntea

Established Member
An absolutely shocking announcement by a TPE guard just now which I shall be submitting a complaint for

‘Whilst I’m aware the rules have now changed I ask that you do socially distance and continue to wear a mask on this service as Covid hasn’t changed and is still around’

Not quite word for word but it was definitely worded as if it wasn’t a personal choice!

Failed Unit

Established Member
I have noticed school age children are the biggest noticeable group unlikely to be wearing them. Having a child, apparently it is because they are sick of them from School. I guess it became part of the uniform they don’t want in the holidays.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I nipped out for milk this evening ( at around 18.45 ) to a Little Tesco. About ten customers in the shop, including myself. Only two of them were masked. Half the staff had also removed their masks.
Sainsbury’s yesterday was my first shop visit since the rules changed on Sunday night. It was close to closing time so wasn’t very busy, only saw a handful of other customers. Probably half the staff were wearing a face covering, only 3 out of 30 customers were.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Stagecoach buses in Newcastle still state that "Face coverings must be worn onboard" on their destination screens. I know that updating them is a massive hassle, so I'll cut them some slack, but that doesn't make that message any less inaccurate.

ExRes

Established Member
Stagecoach buses in Newcastle still state that "Face coverings must be worn onboard" on their destination screens. I know that updating them is a massive hassle, so I'll cut them some slack, but that doesn't make that message any less inaccurate.

Their policy is quite clear, updated as of 1025 19th July

" ... We are continuing to follow Government guidance, which says that people are expected and recommended to continue wearing them during journeys on public transport"

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Their policy is quite clear, updated as of 1025 19th July

" ... We are continuing to follow Government guidance, which says that people are expected and recommended to continue wearing them during journeys on public transport"
Their policy is that people should wear them, not that they must. There's quite a big difference.

ExRes

Established Member
Their policy is that people should wear them, not that they must. There's quite a big difference.

Exactly and just the same as my local company, I wonder what Stagecoach and others have told their drivers though

I notice that the BBC reported 6 days ago that seven 'North East council leaders' wrote to the Government seeking similar powers to TfL, there doesn't seem to be an outcome to that request though

initiation

Quite variable here.
Local co-op in the village at 9pm on monday evening. Probably 50/50. Definitely the older and/or female demographic that continue to wear them
Aldi in nearby town - 85% still wearing them
Large tesco in nearby town - 60/40% in favour of masks.

I'm sure the numbers wearing will continue dropping as people realise the world hasn't ended and 'cases' start to stabilise over the next few days and then decline (ZOE already showing a stabilisation and with schools not testing)

ChrisC

Established Member
I went in my local Co op yesterday. All customers I saw were wearing a mask, as were the checkout operators. The only person I saw in there not wearing a mask was the man who was trying to remove all the large one way and social distancing stickers from the floors of each aisle.

35B

Established Member
Travelled into London today; mask wearing 90%+ on both LNER working and H&C train from King's Cross.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Now here's a real divide for you - my local Co-op is still majority masked, the local Spar had me as the only person (customer or staff) wearing one!

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Now here's a real divide for you - my local Co-op is still majority masked, the local Spar had me as the only person (customer or staff) wearing one!
I wonder how much of that is down to "swing voters" (to use an analogy). I've noticed a sizeable minority will decide whether or not to wear them depending on what others around them are doing - they essentially don't want to stand out either way. I'm certainly like that myself and if a lot of shoppers in your local area also are, then it might explain that rather odd divide.

PR1Berske

Established Member
I wonder how much of that is down to "swing voters" (to use an analogy). I've noticed a sizeable minority will decide whether or not to wear them depending on what others around them are doing - they essentially don't want to stand out either way. I'm certainly like that myself and if a lot of shoppers in your local area also are, then it might explain that rather odd divide.
It's a good theory. I suspect behavioural psychologists will have years of guaranteed work ahead of them looking into all this. From the economic background of the shops to the political leaning of the borough, a lot of tiny factors must build up. I will keep looking around me to see how things shift over the next few weeks.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I've been on about a dozen buses in England since Monday, and all have been majority masked (though in a few cases it's been essentially 50/50). I'm now on the cross border 79 service, and virtually no-one on board is wearing a mask - even in Annan which is well into Scotland.

Now I don't know why this is: it could be any of sheer coincidence, the extreme heat, the much lower infection rates here, English influence on the area, or even local dislike of Nicola Sturgeon. Probably a combination of all of them to an extent. But it's certainly taken me by surprise!

ABB125

Established Member
Still a lot of masks on at Ipswich.

I've also noticed that there are quite a few young people travelling about with large amounts of luggage/large backpacks, including tents and roll mats (imagine what a group of students on a DofE expedition looks like, then place them on a train/at a station). Is there some sort of large event going on, like a music festival or similar in East Anglia? Personally I'm not convinced that masses of teenagers have decided to go hiking as a result of "freedom day"...

96tommy

An absolutely shocking announcement by a TPE guard just now which I shall be submitting a complaint for

‘Whilst I’m aware the rules have now changed I ask that you do socially distance and continue to wear a mask on this service as Covid hasn’t changed and is still around’

Not quite word for word but it was definitely worded as if it wasn’t a personal choice!

I like the sound of that guard! I personally have still been wearing a mask, not necessary for my safety but those around me.

Commute on the tube this morning from Notting Hill to King's Cross (Circle then H+C) would say approx. 95% mask coverage what is great to see.

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
Amongst the customers in my local Morrison’s today it was 50/50 for face mask usage. Only saw one masked member of staff, the rest were unmasked.

lxfe_mxtterz

Didn't realise there was a thread specifically for this! I've already written about my experience on a separate thread, but I shall copy it below too:

On Monday, I actually experienced more people than before wearing masks! It almost felt like the "easing of restrictions" was a reverse psychology tactic.

I did a few bus journeys to get to a nearby town (and back) on the same day, and across all buses (all of which were decently loaded, maybe 40% of seats taken), only three other people weren't wearing a mask.

One passenger did board, and then ask the driver "Do I still need to wear a mask?" to which the driver replied "Yes, the buses prefer you to continue wearing them until this is completely over." So, he put one on, and then sat down.

Status
Not open for further replies.