• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19th July Lockdown Easing - Observations and Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracked

Established Member
Northern still have parts of their train out of use. People were standing in this service between Leeds and Bradford yet there were 15 seats that could’ve been used but for them being declared out of use.
Last few weeks I've been on the Doncaster-Leeds Northern on a Friday/Saturday evening and they've not had them at the driver's end, although I think since around May they haven't always been there.

Can't add much to the mask/non-mask wearing as I always walk down to the front end of the train before it sets off from Doncaster (it's nearer my exit from Bentley) and there's rarely anyone else in the carriage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
I find it disturbing that people have been conditioned to think that they are "unsafe" unless others are wearing a loose-fitting, flimsy mask.

This nonsense needs to end
I find that strange too. It’s like going from Winter/Spring to Summer when people still insist on wearing a coat just because they’ve got used to it.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I find it disturbing that people have been conditioned to think that they are "unsafe" unless others are wearing a loose-fitting, flimsy mask.

This nonsense needs to end
Agreed.
I saw three teenage masked up girls board a train at a low-footfall station, who - from their loud conversation - were wearing them only because they didn’t want funny looks from ‘the oldies’ when they got off at the much busier station, two stops away!
I think those who travel around a lot or commute regularly can see big differences between mask-wearing in different places. Many people, I think, wear them out of fear of standing out, hence the prevalence of chin-warmers. But if you go somewhere else and see a lot of people without masks, would it not be more likely you would stand out?

Last edited:

GodAtum

On Moderation
Thinking of getting GWR from London to Cornwall soon and I now don't wear a mask on trains. How hot are the staff on mask wearing?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
There’s about 20 people in my carriage now, travelling on the Northern stopping service from Liverpool to Manchester. Not a single one wearing a mask, people have no problem sitting near strangers, in aisle seats etc. Quite refreshing that “normal” journeys are starting to become more common :D

dk1

Veteran Member
There’s about 20 people in my carriage now, travelling on the Northern stopping service from Liverpool to Manchester. Not a single one wearing a mask, people have no problem sitting near strangers, in aisle seats etc. Quite refreshing that “normal” journeys are starting to become more common :D
On a very busy Sheringham service last Wednesday a middle aged chap told an elderly lady boarding at Wroxham that he didn’t want anyone sitting beside him. He got some strange looks from the other passengers. I had sat opposite a chap sitting at a table & was prepared if he said anything to tell him not to expect 4 seats around a table to himself as it ain’t happening. He didn’t & was good as gold like most other passengers. That lovely elderly lady joined us too.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
Not sure if already posted, but several passengers have complained about non-compliance on crowded TfW services (and on GWR past Severn Tunnel)

Covid: Safety fears as face-mask rules 'ignored on Welsh trains' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58144669
The Callum Littlemore story is funny. There is no requirement for people to wear a mask for the first 120 miles from Paddington to the Severn Tunnel. What difference will it make if people do or don't put one on for the last 25 miles to Cardiff? Likewise the lady complaining about the overcrowded train from Newport to Manchester. Most of that journey is in England.

It amazes me the number of people that go out to do things but it never crosses their mind that other people might want to do it as well. Are people still expecting to have two or four seats to themselves on all train journeys?

greyman42

Established Member
Thinking of getting GWR from London to Cornwall soon and I now don't wear a mask on trains. How hot are the staff on mask wearing?
They could not care less. Regardless of that, there is no requirement to wear masks on trains.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It amazes me the number of people that go out to do things but it never crosses their mind that other people might want to do it as well.
A perfect example of this was when outdoor meeting in groups of 6 became allowed again, someone was complaining that Bournemouth beach was too busy... they themselves being on Bournemouth beach!

They could not care less. Regardless of that, there is no requirement to wear masks on trains.
Seconded.

Cdd89

Established Member
Something I haven’t been able to find out: when the requirement for Covid contact isolation ends tomorrow for those fully vaccinated, will that include where the contact was on an international inbound flight/train?

island

Veteran Member
Something I haven’t been able to find out: when the requirement for Covid contact isolation ends tomorrow for those fully vaccinated, will that include where the contact was on an international inbound flight/train?
Yes.

DustyBin

Established Member
I’ve witnessed a couple of comedy moments this evening. The first was in a pub which is at the top of a steep bank. A man walked up the bank, masked up and clearly uncomfortable, and entered the (very busy) pub. He stood in the doorway and looked around, realised nobody was wearing a mask and removed his before making his way to the bar. Can somebody please explain the logic?

The second was in another pub where a gentleman came into the men’s toilet wearing a surgical mask, had a pee and then walked out without washing his hands. Words fail me sometimes!

DelayRepay

Established Member
I’ve witnessed a couple of comedy moments this evening. The first was in a pub which is at the top of a steep bank. A man walked up the bank, masked up and clearly uncomfortable, and entered the (very busy) pub. He stood in the doorway and looked around, realised nobody was wearing a mask and removed his before making his way to the bar. Can somebody please explain the logic?

Some people's behaviour in pubs is odd. My local has kept their marquee up and encourage people who are nervous about being indoors to sit out there. The tables in the marquee are still socially distanced and they still offer table service so there is no need for anyone who is nervous to go inside other than to use the loo.

Yesterday there was a group sat in the marquee, but they were coming in, masked up, to order their drinks at the bar. Even though the staff offered to take the drinks out to them, they waited by the bar for their drinks to be prepared.

The other odd behaviour I have observed is in shops. I deliberately shop when they are not going to be busy (early in the morning, or late in the evening). The government advice is to wear masks in crowded places. An almost empty supermarket is not crowded, yet you still see people wearing masks. Even if you are following the government advice to the letter, this is unnecessary. I understand why people choose to wear them on crowded trains etc (even if their logic is questionable, I don't think their behaviour is irrational), but cannot understand why you would choose to wear one when you're in an almost empty shop and don't need to go anywhere near other people. Forget about 2m distancing, you could do 20m distancing in these places if you wanted to!.

westv

Established Member
I had breakfast at a local cafe on Saturday. When we were there I noticed that another maskless couple put on masks once they had gone through the main door to the street!!

dk1

Veteran Member
All four Wetherspoons in my city have removed those dreadful table dividing Perspex screens with all removed tables put back. Only screens left are the ones at the bar for staff & I am told these are on borrowed time for when we can drink at the bar once again.

LowLevel

Established Member
All four Wetherspoons in my city have removed those dreadful table dividing Perspex screens with all removed tables put back. Only screens left are the ones at the bar for staff & I am told these are on borrowed time for when we can drink at the bar once again.

One thing I am not looking forward to - having to elbow ignorant tossers drinking at the bar out of the way to either check out what beer is on or get served :lol:

dk1

Veteran Member
One thing I am not looking forward to - having to elbow ignorant tossers drinking at the bar out of the way to either check out what beer is on or get served :lol:

Yes that’s true although I’ve promised myself I will never moan about things like that or queuing when somewhere is busy ever again.

RPI

Established Member
That won't happen in spoons as it seems to be the only pub where people queue at the bar! Grrrr!

Established Member
On a very busy Sheringham service last Wednesday a middle aged chap told an elderly lady boarding at Wroxham that he didn’t want anyone sitting beside him. He got some strange looks from the other passengers. I had sat opposite a chap sitting at a table & was prepared if he said anything to tell him not to expect 4 seats around a table to himself as it ain’t happening. He didn’t & was good as gold like most other passengers. That lovely elderly lady joined us too.

You've reminded me of something bizarre I saw on a peak Stansted - Norwich the other day. Nobody wanted to sit next to a stranger, but people were more than happy to pile into the vestibule like sardines!

dk1

Veteran Member
You've reminded me of something bizarre I saw on a peak Stansted - Norwich the other day. Nobody wanted to sit next to a stranger, but people were more than happy to pile into the vestibule like sardines!
People are very strange creatures mate. They quickly forget/ignore things when it suits.

MikeWM

Established Member

Silly people. Haven't they realised from the mask rules in pubs that you're safe from Covid when sitting down but in danger when standing up? 8-)

bramling

Veteran Member
I find that strange too. It’s like going from Winter/Spring to Summer when people still insist on wearing a coat just because they’ve got used to it.

There is some rationality to that, though. I tend to wear a coat in summer (albeit changing from a heavier one to a lighter one) as I like to have pockets, and more importantly I don’t like getting my arms and neck sunburned. I take being a little too hot over sunburn.

The difference is of course that this actually works in achieving a given objective, unlike masks!

dk1

Veteran Member
Would certainly explain urinals being taped off!
The gents on platform 4 was hilarious. Several urinals taped off forcing people to queue in front of those trying to wash their hands at the sinks (none of which where taped off) then squeezing passed to get to the hand dryers. Talk about window dressing.

Crossover

Established Member
Northern still have parts of their train out of use. People were standing in this service between Leeds and Bradford yet there were 15 seats that could’ve been used but for them being declared out of use.
The TPE 185 I was on the other day was similar. 8 of us in the vestibule area next to it (with the rest of the carriage pretty full and most seats taken) - the additional 16 (I think) seats in the closed area would have undoubtedly been welome (and allowed for more distancing!)

Bungle73

On Moderation
Use the app? I haven’t ordered anything at the bar in a Whetherspoon for years, even pre-COVID.

dk1

Veteran Member
Use the app? I haven’t ordered anything at the bar in a Whetherspoon for years, even pre-COVID.
I refused to use it until the pandemic when it made more sense than waiting for table service. I am now using it about 50% of the time. I see no point in walking to my table, using the app, waiting for them to bring me a mug only to walk back to the machine. Much easier to go to the bar as I arrive & get my coffee straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.