• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1D23 london st pancras-nottingham disorder this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

1D23 london st pancras-nottingham arrived into leicester 14 mins late and departed 31 late due to btp attending
due to disorder from the arsenal fans on the way to the game at leicester smoke bomb released onto the train
on route

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
smoke bomb? I bet it was a flare, which are smoke bombs in their own right.

no was at leicester station when 1D23 pulled in heavy smell of smoke when doors released

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The on route delay to Leicester may be unrelated as most journeys seemed to be losing time between Bedford and Sharnbrook Jct.

baz962

Established Member
There definitely was a flare let off on an EMR service that had police attend.

The on route delay to Leicester may be unrelated as most journeys seemed to be losing time between Bedford and Sharnbrook Jct.
Track circuit down at Sharnbrook I believe. Trains were being directed on to the slow lines at Bedford north.

Haywain

Veteran Member
OP, were you on this train?
I was on it from Kettering to Leicester. The initial delay was due to signalling problems meaning it had run on the slow from Bedford North to Sharnbrook (my 'Connect' service crawled down the slow all the way from Bedford to Kettering). On arrival at Leicester police were waiting on the platform and it was announced that there would be a delay in releasing the doors due to police attendance after a flare had been let off in the front coach filling the drivers cab with smoke. Aside from anything else it was frustrating for me to stand on my late arriving train waiting for the doors to open and watch my late departing connection leave without me.

WizCastro197

Established Member
I was on it from Kettering to Leicester. The initial delay was due to signalling problems meaning it had run on the slow from Bedford North to Sharnbrook (my 'Connect' service crawled down the slow all the way from Bedford to Kettering). On arrival at Leicester police were waiting on the platform and it was announced that there would be a delay in releasing the doors due to police attendance after a flare had been let off in the front coach filling the drivers cab with smoke. Aside from anything else it was frustrating for me to stand on my late arriving train waiting for the doors to open and watch my late departing connection leave without me.
Sorry to hear that @Haywain, I hope you've claimed delay repay accordingly. :)

I was on a later train from St Pancras to Leicester (luckily Sheffield bound, so was a little faster), which still incurred delays up to 10 minutes (Track Circuit Failure and late departure from St P seem to the main causes). Sadly not enough to came Delay Repay.

RJ

Established Member
That must have been very frustrating to be delayed. Some people would’ve opened the doors anyway.

But at the same time, the person who let off the flare in an enclosed space, in the leading carriage as well impacting on the driver’s vision needs to be removed from the general public asap and spend some time reflecting on what they did. The TM did the right thing waiting for the police to arrive.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Sorry to hear that @Haywain, I hope you've claimed delay repay accordingly. :)
Naturally - some beer money heading my way!
That must have been very frustrating to be delayed. Some people would’ve opened the doors anyway.
The only consolation in watching my connection leave was that I only saw it because it was late! From the flow of people on the platform, I think some further up the train may have 'escaped' but it's not a bright thing to do with police on the platform.

whoosh

Established Member
Can't have been nice to have been on board when it was set off.

Attachments

• VID_20230226_123548_692.mp4
    1.5 MB

Haywain

Veteran Member
You have to wonder about the sort of person who actually thinks that's in any way acceptable in a confined space.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It’s not even acceptable in a football stand. Awful things.
Indeed, but at least the smoke will disperse a bit quicker. The train was full and standing, so there would have been no opportunity to get away from it.

bramling

Veteran Member
Indeed, but at least the smoke will disperse a bit quicker. The train was full and standing, so there would have been no opportunity to get away from it.

Another illustration of the trouble caused by football fans. Whilst they’re by no means unique in causing problems, by the same token they certainly cause a disproportionate amount of trouble.

Must have been a pretty unpleasant experience for anyone else travelling, as well as dangerous.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Another illustration of the trouble caused by football fans. Whilst they’re by no means unique in causing problems, by the same token they certainly cause a disproportionate amount of trouble.

Must have been a pretty unpleasant experience for anyone else travelling, as well as dangerous.
It's a minority. I was travelling to a football match too.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Sorry but if there's smoke in a carriage, don't keep them in the train and suffocate them!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Nope. I sensibly opted to spend most of yesterday in the pub ;)
Good, you're better off well away from Gooners :lol: Mind you, not as bad as what you might find at Millwall or Stamford Bridge ;)
(Would it be appropriate to drop a cheeky #C.O.Y.S. here)

You have to wonder about the sort of person who actually thinks that's in any way acceptable in a confined space.
It's disgraceful, but am I reading this right? I assumed a disruptive fan had set it off as a "joke," but it isn't clear, can someone clarify? For example:
due to disorder from the arsenal fans on the way to the game at leicester smoke bomb released onto the train
Due to the poor grammar (I won't apologise for calling it that, because it is - or maybe lack of grammar would be a more accurate way of putting it) I wasn't sure whether it meant. With punctuation it could mean different things.
due to disorder from the arsenal fans on the way to the game at leicester, smoke bomb released onto the train
Would suggest staff released a smoke bomb (I must confess I'm not familiar with these) to put passengers in order, a bit like how pepper spray or stuff is sometimes used by police, but this sounds exceptionally extreme and arguably abusive - I'd certainly see it that way if I was just a normal passenger - so I doubt this was the case.
due to disorder from the arsenal fans on the way to the game at leicester (smoke bomb released onto the train)
Would suggest the smoke bomb was the disorder.

Last edited:

Established Member
Good, you're better off well away from Gooners :lol: Mind you, not as bad as what you might find at Millwall or Stamford Bridge ;)

Don’t let @Bantamzen hear you talking like that!

On a serious note, unfortunately this kind of behaviour is increasingly common. It may well have been set off accidentally, but that wouldn’t be much comfort for those on the train!

Would suggest staff released a smoke bomb (I must confess I'm not familiar with these) to put passengers in order, a bit like how pepper spray or stuff is sometimes used by police, but this sounds exceptionally extreme and arguably abusive - I'd certainly see it that way if I was just a normal passenger - so I doubt this was the case.

Sadly staff aren’t issued pyrotechnic devices to discipline passengers with. It’s a thought, though…. Maybe the detonators gathering dust in every cab could actually have a use, after all!;)

Last edited:

dosxuk

Established Member
Flares are incredibly dangerous. Unfortunately most people who set them off are unaware of the dangers, thinking it's just a bit of a laugh.

They're literally designed to work underwater, they basically can't be extinguished once lit, and unless you have the materials to hand to suppress the flames, can easily set nearby objects on fire. Getting rid of the smoke is basically impossible other than ventilating the space.

If it was up to me they would be classed in the same way as knives, with severe punishments available to anyone carrying one without a valid reason. There is no reason for a football fan going to a match to have one on them.

Established Member
If it was up to me they would be classed in the same way as knives, with severe punishments available to anyone carrying one without a valid reason. There is no reason for a football fan going to a match to have one on them.

This is a very valid point.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It's disgraceful, but am I reading this right? I assumed a disruptive fan had set it off as a "joke," but it isn't clear, can someone clarify?
Whilst I was on the train, I was in a different area and didn't even see (or look for) any smoke. By the time we were released from the train my only interest was heading to a pub for a beer to kill time.
Flares are incredibly dangerous. Unfortunately most people who set them off are unaware of the dangers, thinking it's just a bit of a laugh.
I hope you don't think anything I said supports the 'use' of them. My comment that the smoke will disperse more quickly outdoors is simply a statement of fact, the same as happens with cigarette smoke or 'vapes'.

liamf656

Interesting to see this video doing the rounds! It was a friend of mine that took it :lol:

Here’s a photo of said train also taken by him

Attachments

• E929207D-1FB4-4BEA-B49F-AC052902348B.jpeg
    E929207D-1FB4-4BEA-B49F-AC052902348B.jpeg
    374.5 KB · Views: 300

Starmill

Veteran Member

They're literally designed to work underwater, they basically can't be extinguished once lit, and unless you have the materials to hand to suppress the flames, can easily set nearby objects on fire. Getting rid of the smoke is basically impossible other than ventilating the space.

Indeed. It's already unlawful to misuse a distress flare in several ways, including firing them when there isn't an emergency happening, abandoning them, or not disposing of them with a registered provider. I don't know if it's actually an offence though, or if it is, which one. Setting one off in a confined area with lots of people present could justify an investigation for a public order offence.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Completely agree and anyone sending one off on a train should be refused travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.