• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1F17 today (26/09/2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

user15681

Established Member
Hi, sorry to be a nuisance, but can anybody tell me what was wrong with 1F17 today from Faversham to St Pancras Int'l?

It arrived as usual at 0805 at Sittingbourne in the up platform, but then sat there for 15 minutes. The train was then cancelled there and then at 0820, before heading back, in the down direction on the up line, to Faversham. The station staff said it was a train fault, but does anyone actually know the fault was?

What sort of train fault could prevent a train from moving in one direction only? The 395 was perfectly able to move in the other direction on its way back after being cancelled.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bolli

What sort of train fault could prevent a train from moving in one direction only? The 395 was perfectly able to move in the other direction on its way back after being cancelled.

Was it full when it left in the other direction?
I'm sure somebody will be able to go into more detail, but I believe there are slightly different rules about ECS moves and trains with passengers on.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Perhaps some kind of fault that affected only one cab? I was on an HST that was turned at Newcastle via the High Level Bridge a few weeks ago when a fault developed in the leading cab.

user15681

Established Member
Was it full when it left in the other direction?
I'm sure somebody will be able to go into more detail, but I believe there are slightly different rules about ECS moves and trains with passengers on.

Nope, empty when it left. Many unhappy commuters after being de-trained!

Perhaps some kind of fault that affected only one cab? I was on an HST that was turned at Newcastle via the High Level Bridge a few weeks ago when a fault developed in the leading cab.

Yeah, that's a possibility.

Mintona

Established Member
I have had a similar situation before and it was due to a CSR fault in the leading cab. It wouldnt set up at Faversham, the driver was asked to continue to Sittingbourne (different area) and try again but still no joy so train was terminated and sent empties to Ashford depot (reversing back via Faversham and Dover).

Could have been same problem.

user15681

Established Member
I have had a similar situation before and it was due to a CSR fault in the leading cab. It wouldnt set up at Faversham, the driver was asked to continue to Sittingbourne (different area) and try again but still no joy so train was terminated and sent empties to Ashford depot (reversing back via Faversham and Dover).

Could have been same problem.

Ah, that seems a likely explanation then, thank you!

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but people on the train a few minutes behind 1F17 said that their train 'turned off' and the guard said the train was being 'rebooted' (their words, I wasn't on it, but they gave the impression that there was no power i.e no lights, no sound). Is this likely to have been a separate issue?

Mintona

Established Member
I can't think of a singular fault where both would occur so my guess would be a co-incidence, but I don't know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.