• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1O98 Great Malvern to Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
Does anyone know what the traction for this usually is please?

It's the 1051 off Great Malvern and gets into Brighton at 1614.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Booked for a 3-car 158 that is. Always fancied at one time doing it throughout, just to see how it was!

Usually is a 158, 150s are not too common down to Brighton thankfully. 2-car 158s show up on it sometimes, so my money's on it being either a 2-car or a 3-car 158.

Do let us know if you do the trip what turns up on it.

Aictos

Established Member
Will do, won't be doing it for a while though....

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
yep, mostly seen as a 150 here!, seen it once as a 2 car 158. I think me an techniquest saw it as a 150 from westbury PSB...correct? :s

Techniquest

Veteran Member
yep, mostly seen as a 150 here!, seen it once as a 2 car 158. I think me an techniquest saw it as a 150 from westbury PSB...correct? :s

That's a fine question! I think it was a 2-car 158 that we saw on it. I remember asking about it after we saw 1O98 show on the panel and I got excited in case it was something decent going to the Southern Region!

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Depends where it is really, after Bath Spa I can't see it being much difference weather its a 150 or 158.

Techniquest - I remember seeing a few Oscars though :lol: was either SWT or FGW...traction unknown lol

westcoaster

Established Member
i see this all the time at brighton and i would say on average its 95% 158. and the 158 is a 50/50 mix of 2/3 cars.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Techniquest - I remember seeing a few Oscars though :lol: was either SWT or FGW...traction unknown lol

True, I saw too many to count, but 1O98 is the one I remember first and foremost!

Can't remember what we saw on what really, didn't think it fair to pull out my notepad and pen!

devon_metro

Established Member
Timed as a 158, so a 150 on it will delay it a treat Id imagine.

Timings identical to any other 150 timings. (as far as Westbury at least) The only reason it is faster, is the fact it has a reduced dwell at Bristol Temple Meads, and fails to call Stapleton Road and Lawrence Hill.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Suprises me that, will have to see what happens to its running times if a 150 is put on it.

winks

I use this service quite alot. Meant to be 3-car but often 2-car. Disgraceful that there is not trolley service on this train!

paul1609

Established Member
I seem to remember reading that all cardiff to portsmouth/ brighton services were timed for 75 mph units since their introduction south of Bristol. Apparently the 158s actually worked out slower than the 156s they replaced as there are very few stretches with a line speed over 75mph and they are slower to accelerate.
The timetable is very slack anyway on westbound services its not unusual to wait on the slow lines south of st denys for up to 10 mins before achieving an on time arrival at southampton central.

Status
Not open for further replies.