• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st Class ALR in East Coast Kings Cross Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

Basically, ive just scanned the First class section, but am i right in thinking then that someone with a 1st Class ALR will NOT be allowed to enter the 1st class lounge at Kings Cross?
And that buying a East Coast First Class Single to Stevenage will be the cheapest and only way of getting in?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
I can't see why you can't use it in a lounge. It's a flexible, inter-available First Class product. I'd go to St. Pancras and wait in the EMT one if refused at KGX. Failing that, go see Virgin in Euston!

mralexn

You can use it in a lounge.

Thank you :)
Question on a Question, but i have redeemed a 1st class return using the East Coast Rewards System, will these tickets be valid for the lounge? or will i have to spend an additional 50PTS for a access card

John @ home

Established Member
The following tickets have unrestricted access to East Coast First Class Lounges, where the journey is relevant to the location:
  • All inter-available First Class tickets which are valid for all or part of the journey on EC trains, including Anytime, Off-Peak, First Class Season, Carnet and Executive Packages.
  • Also all of the above which are routed “EC only” or “EC & Connections”.
  • All valid First Class BritRail and First Class Rovers.

First class

Established Member
Thank you :)
Question on a Question, but i have redeemed a 1st class return using the East Coast Rewards System, will these tickets be valid for the lounge? or will i have to spend an additional 50PTS for a access card

Not so clear, what is the "ticket type"?

Our First Class Lounges are open to customers who hold one of the following ticket types:

Fully inter-available First Class Season Ticket (i.e. tickets not specific to one train company)
Any First Class Anytime ticket valid for travel on the East Coast route
Any East Coast First Class packages
Holders of a First Class Lounge supplement, available for purchase with a East Coast First Advance ticket or First Class reader offer
Holders of East Coast Rewards One Day First Class Lounge Pass (no ticket required)

Please be aware that First Advance and Weekend First tickets are not entitled to use the First Class Lounges. If travelling on a First Advance ticket, you can purchase a £5 supplement ticket, which allows you access into the First Class Lounge. This can be purchased on the day of travel at any East Coast Travel Centre, or at the time of booking your ticket online.

island

Veteran Member
A reward ticket is issued as Advance 1st, right? Then I suppose it wouldn't be valid. Happy to be corrected.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The answer to this is quite clear in the T&Cs of the Rewards scheme: (my bold)
East Coast Rewards said:
6.1.2a First Class Return Ticket for one person:

Members can claim an East Coast First Class return train ticket for journeys operated by ECML for 500 Points*. The ticket will be valid for six months from the date it is issued. Subject to availability, the free tickets are allocated on all days of the week, for off-peak travel. The journey must be booked at least 7 days in advance of travel, with reservations available up to 12 weeks in advance. The return journey must be within one month of the outward journey. Valid only on booked trains. During peak periods, such as Christmas and Easter, we reserve the right to suspend availability. Once booked, no changes to travel arrangements can be made. Up to 3 child tickets can be booked with each adult ticket, at a cost of £20 return each. Free First Class tickets do not permit access to East Coast First Class Lounges, unless the appropriate supplement is paid.

The same wording appears again under 6.1.2b.

Rewards points holders may access EC 1st Lounges over a 24 hour period by redeeming 50 points for the priviledge.

calc7

Established Member
I'd suggest getting your 'friend' to sign up to EC rewards and use their 100 introductory points to kindly print you a voucher...if you get my drift.

RJ

Established Member
I didn't have any problem accessing KX when I did my FC ALR. I did almost crack up however, when another passenger was heartlessly denied access to the Doncaster FC lounge via intercom by someone who was remotely checking tickets, because his was an Advance ticket.

You have to watch out though, some will ask you what time your train is. If you state a train operated by the wrong TOC then they'll deny you access and you need to go through the rigmarole of explaining what ticket you have and what it allows you to do.

TUC

Established Member
I didn't have any problem accessing KX when I did my FC ALR. I did almost crack up however, when another passenger was heartlessly denied access to the Doncaster FC lounge via intercom by someone who was remotely checking tickets, because his was an Advance ticket.

You have to watch out though, some will ask you what time your train is. If you state a train operated by the wrong TOC then they'll deny you access and you need to go through the rigmarole of explaining what ticket you have and what it allows you to do.

Its irrelevant whether you intend to travel on an East Coast train. The criteria is that its a ticket that is valid for travel on East Coast services.

RJ

Established Member
We know that but some people who check the tickets don't realise!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.