• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 days commute East Croydon to Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I've now been authorised to work from home 3 days a week. Looking at the NR season ticket calculator it'll cost me either:
  • £12.60 / day
  • £43.20 / week (Cost per day: £21.60)
  • £165.90 / month (Cost per day: £19.16)
Looks like just tapping in every day is the cheapest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
For commutes within the Zones, paper tickets are usually only cheapest for NR-only 4+ day a week commutes. That is quite intentional.

The main disadvantage of travelling PAYG is that you may have to pay more if you need to take a mixed-mode journey due to disruption. Whereas paper ticket holders will be able to take advantage of ticket acceptance.

johncrossley

Established Member
Ever since the reorganisation of daily caps about 15 years ago to make peak the same as off-peak, part time commuters have usually been better off using pay as you go.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Oh right, how come that's not listed on the fare finder? Someone less experienced could be easily misled.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Doesn't it specifically say it is the Anytime Day Return? Screenshot attached. The disclaimer immediately below also makes it clear it is only season ticket types (listed immediately to the right) which are included. I suspect less experienced people will just PAYG as default. The number confused will probably be very low.

But agreed it isn't the best design not incorporating Oyster PAYG single fares.

Attachments

• 1631712745762.png
    1631712745762.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 28

GodAtum

On Moderation
Yeah I was looking to compare oyster fares with season tickets so hoped the NR website would have both. Now I need to check 2 websites!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Or BRFares.com :)
With the caveat that the Oyster fares in the RDG database are not directly connected to the TfL database and can be either wrong or missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.