• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2-EPB & 4-EPB Wimbledon ?

nw1

Established Member
All my info came from Big Jumby 74 off the CWN mentioned above. As you say, all trains to Victoria. Still five sets with generous turn rounds at both ends. A single 2EPB berthed in the siding and a pair in platform 1 between the peaks.

The most bizarre combination I have found is 5N70 08+44 London Bridge to Streatham Hill formed VEP+EPB+EPB+VEP. Formed off two inbound six cars.

Ah ok, thanks. Sounds similar to the 1988 workings though with some differences.

Didn't they restrict what units could go down to East Grinstead at one point due to some issues with the tunnel? So there was a small subset of VEPs and EPBs which could go down there, due to being fitted with window bars, while all other VEPs, CIGs and EPBs could not? So essentially the line had a small pool of dedicated stock? This definitely wasn't the case in 1987 or 1988 (one of the off peak sets formed part of a Littlehampton peak, for example) - but came in later.

The ECS you mention reminds me of an in-service working on the SWML in the 1991 timetable which I've mentioned before: 1550 (ish) Southampton Central-Waterloo up, forming 1758 (ish) Waterloo-Southampton Central down. Formed of VEP+HAP+(VEP/CIG)*, with the HAP in the middle so no through corridor access. On 4 July 1991, I travelled in the HAP as they were becoming a bit rare by then, and as such it was, I believe, my last ever journey in a HAP.

Another service with HAPs until the very end was the 1620 Waterloo-Portsmouth '82' semi-fast, formed 4HAP + 4VEP until the beginning of the autumn 1991 timetable, when the HAPs moved over to the SE. This service had been formed as such since May 1989.

*seemed to vary, so I never knew which it was booked for.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bikeman78

Established Member
Ah ok, thanks. Sounds similar to the 1988 workings though with some differences.

Didn't they restrict what units could go down to East Grinstead at one point due to some issues with the tunnel? So there was a small subset of VEPs and EPBs which could go down there, due to being fitted with window bars, while all other VEPs, CIGs and EPBs could not? So essentially the line had a small pool of dedicated stock? This definitely wasn't the case in 1987 or 1988 (one of the off peak sets formed part of a Littlehampton peak, for example) - but came in later.

The ECS you mention reminds me of an in-service working on the SWML in the 1991 timetable which I've mentioned before: 1550 (ish) Southampton Central-Waterloo up, forming 1758 (ish) Waterloo-Southampton Central down. Formed of VEP+HAP+(VEP/CIG)*, with the HAP in the middle so no through corridor access. On 4 July 1991, I travelled in the HAP as they were becoming a bit rare by then, and as such it was, I believe, my last ever journey in a HAP.

Another service with HAPs until the very end was the 1620 Waterloo-Portsmouth '82' semi-fast, formed 4HAP + 4VEP until the beginning of the autumn 1991 timetable, when the HAPs moved over to the SE. This service had been formed as such since May 1989.

*seemed to vary, so I never knew which it was booked for.
All the Central Division VEPs got bars, including those that moved over from SWT in the late 1990s. Around 15 of the 2EPBs already had bars from their North London Line days and the rest got them at the same time as the VEPs. Mistakes did happen though. I saw a pair of 4EPBs on an East Grinstead train one evening.

Talking of HAPs, 4301 was parked in Horsham sidings for several months. It got shunted around a lot. One evening it appeared on the front of an EPB coming in from Dorking! No idea why or where it attached. Perhaps the EPB had a fault and the HAP was sent off to rescue it.

nw1

Established Member
All the Central Division VEPs got bars, including those that moved over from SWT in the late 1990s. Around 15 of the 2EPBs already had bars from their North London Line days and the rest got them at the same time as the VEPs. Mistakes did happen though. I saw a pair of 4EPBs on an East Grinstead train one evening.

Ah ok, thanks for that.

Enmgy17

The most bizarre combination I have found is 5N70 08+44 London Bridge to Streatham Hill formed VEP+EPB+EPB+VEP. Formed off two inbound six cars.
A bit off topic but in the 1982 SED CWN there was a working (5F46 17+09 Grove Park Shed - Charing X) that was formed EPB/CEP/VEP, which then formed 2R78 17:40 to Ashford (VEP/CEP) and Maidstone West (EPB).

Bikeman78

Established Member
A bit off topic but in the 1982 SED CWN there was a working (5F46 17+09 Grove Park Shed - Charing X) that was formed EPB/CEP/VEP, which then formed 2R78 17:40 to Ashford (VEP/CEP) and Maidstone West (EPB).
Excellent! Mixed combinations tended to fight with each other a bit. CEP+VEP combos were always rather jerky in my experience. Adding an EPB into the mix probably made it worse.