• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 trains at the same time from Liverpool Lime St (LIV)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael96

Dear friends,

I booked a ticket from Liverpool Lime St to Birmingham New St.

But on the timetable there are two trains at the same time, but one of them does not reach Birmingham New St.

How should I know which train should I take??

I wanted to know the platform in advance as I am short in time tomorrow (the ticket is for tomorrow):

5b4O8.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Surely they are both the same train, but the second option entails a change somewhere on route (presumable Crewe)?

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 2nd service gets you to change at Wolverhampton for an ATW service from Aberystwyth.

Why would anybody want to change trains at World's End is a mystery, just stay on the 350 all the way to New Street

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
It sometimes gives you an option like this if the train you're on is overtaken - for example North Wales to Manchester Airport direct trains are often slower than changing at Chester and Crewe, and displaying both lets you choose between a faster journey and the slower but direct journey. The only other thing that comes to mind would be if changing allows you to take advantage of a better fare, but there are no fares that I can see that fit that brief.

But I'm not sure who in their right mind would change onto a slower train.

For reassurance though, I can assure you that the 08:34 from Liverpool Lime Street goes all the way to Birmingham New Street. It's the only train departing at 08:34 from that station.

dave87016

Established Member
The xx17 from Preston generally gives you a change option at Wolverhampton as it has 10minutes waiting time at Wolverhampton maybe the London Midland service has waiting time at Wolvethampton and another train departs Wolvethampton before that London Midland service

Status
Not open for further replies.