• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2016 US election discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor

me123

Established Member
Maybe there's a slight change in mood across the pond? In an Iowa poll, Cruz has a 10 point lead on Trump. That's quite a big shift. One poll doesn't mean much, but perhaps it's a sign that people are moving to other candidates. It'll be interesting to see if the trend continues.

miami

Established Member
There is also talk that Trump is a secret agent for the Democrats.

Quite possible given his apparent idiocy

Trump isn't the problem. The 80 million people who suppot him isn't even the problem. The problem America has is roughly 45% of america hate the democrats and love the republicans, and 45% hate the republicans and love the democrats. While that means that the people who win are decided by the 10% in the (relative) middle, it still leaves 90% of the country who are wedded to one view or another, and 144 million people that will wake up in November and think that satan has just won the election. That's a lot of unhappy people.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Agreed. Trump is a conceited, moronic bigot. And he looks like he has a cat stapled to his head.

I object on behalf of all the felines on the planet!

By the way, if anyone watches The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, you'll know that last week Noah introduced a new feature to his show, called "Donald Trump Wants to Bang his Daughter"... Featuring clips from interviews which suggest exactly that!

The worry of course is that it'll have very little impact on his polling given how polarised the United States is.

TheNewNo2

I object on behalf of all the felines on the planet!

By the way, if anyone watches The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, you'll know that last week Noah introduced a new feature to his show, called "Donald Trump Wants to Bang his Daughter"... Featuring clips from interviews which suggest exactly that!

The worry of course is that it'll have very little impact on his polling given how polarised the United States is.

The fact no senior Republicans have said they will note vote for Trump if he were the GOP nominee is rather disgusting.

As regards the media coverage, it seems the more people say bad things about Trump, people like him more. http://time.com/4009413/donald-trump-focus-group-frank-luntz/

miami

Established Member
Fundamentally if Trump is what the average Republican Party member wants, then it's up to the rest of the GOP to rally behind him, or get out. They can perhaps reflect on the failings in society that have led to that point and hopefully learn for the future.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
How many of those 300,000 people have signed after careful consideration rather than just jumping on the bandwagon for the latest social media fad ?

Let him come over and defeat him via a grilling from Dimbleby or some other interviewer of gravitas :idea:

Or better yet put him on Have I Got News For You. He would be slaughtered.

me123

Established Member
Donald Trump is apparently going to speak to Bill Gates about closing down the internet, so that he can "penetrate" it to look for ISIS/Daesh.

I wish I'd made that up. But sadly, it's an actual policy from a presidential candidate.

Reminds me of this:
[youtube]iDbyYGrswtg[/youtube]

Last edited:

anme

Established Member
I suspect that if Trump becomes the Republican candidate, it will guarantee a landslide for Hillary Clinton. And whoever emerges, there are signs that the selection process will damage the Republicans so much as to make their candidate unelectable again. See for example their bizarre "War on Women", which is not only morally repugnant but also just about the most moronic electoral strategy it's possible to think of. Hint - over half of voters are female...

TheNewNo2

I suspect that if Trump becomes the Republican candidate, it will guarantee a landslide for Hillary Clinton. And whoever emerges, there are signs that the selection process will damage the Republicans so much as to make their candidate unelectable again. See for example their bizarre "War on Women", which is not only morally repugnant but also just about the most moronic electoral strategy it's possible to think of. Hint - over half of voters are female...

In principle maybe, the problem is that Trump is significantly moving the Overton Window.

To give an example, say you have a range from 1 to 5 which is reasonable. Someone comes along shouting 10, and they're clearly a wackjob (Trump), but it makes the person saying 8 (Cruz, Rubio, Bush, Carson, etc) seem acceptable by comparison. The media have a role in this, in their wanting to seem "neutral" by giving equal weight to opposing views, even if one of those views is completely insane.

The main issue is that, since the mid-2000s, the GOP has really entered "post-truth politics". People can see the same facts and form different opinions, that's fine, but what is happening now is that Republican politicians are not even agreeing on the facts anymore. Witness the GOP being the world's only major political party which denies climate change; witness the repeated investigations and conspiracy theories about Benghazi, despite every single investigation turning up no scandal whatsoever; witness the GOP insistence that the economy has got worse under Obama, not better. They also suffer from "Obama Derangement Syndrome", wherein if Obama says something, that thing is automatically bad, even if it's something the GOP used to support; witness Carly Fiorina talking about Planned Parenthood... GOP politicians don't seem to care that they lie, and because of that the media has lost the power to shame liars.

Trump, whether he wins or loses, whether the GOP wins or loses, is merely the spoken manifestation of all the innuendo the GOP has thrown out there for the past 20 years. He's shocking, but, to anyone who has watched American politics, he should not be surprising.

Groningen

Established Member
As we (Europians) have no vote in this; i sincerly hope that Trump becomes president. Just looking whether he can run a country like his own private business. I heard already heard that Trump thinks that Putin is a great man; here we differ in that opinion.

Amberley54

Trump isn't the problem. The 80 million people who suppot him isn't even the problem. The problem America has is roughly 45% of america hate the democrats and love the republicans, and 45% hate the republicans and love the democrats. While that means that the people who win are decided by the 10% in the (relative) middle, it still leaves 90% of the country who are wedded to one view or another, and 144 million people that will wake up in November and think that satan has just won the election. That's a lot of unhappy people.

Unfortunately, voter registration in parts of the US (predominantly southern and mid-western states) can be a real challenge with often deliberately placed barriers for certain sections of society acting as a deterrent.

Also, actual turnout in presidential elections can be as low as 50% of those actually registered. Obama's two campaigns saw a major effort at voter registration and turnout in key swing states like Ohio, and was a key factor in securing his second term.

Trump may be a bigoted loudmouth, but remember history - Lenin, Hitler and Musoulini all initially gained a handhold on power via the ballot box.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
What Donald J Trump needs is a Kitty Kelley biography, but I suspect that would prove more difficult than Frank Sinatra and the Duke of Edinburgh (unpublished) put together. Trump is a bullying ignoramus, and shame on anyone who's ever gone along with him, and that includes Alex Salmond, much though he may now be backtracking like mad on his brown-nosing.

TheNewNo2

Do also not forget that media in the USA is very political. Fox is Republican; others are more to the Democratic party. > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_bias_in_the_United_States

Fox is certainly pro-GOP and anti-Democrat, and makes no bones about it.

MSNBC is pro-Democrat, but less anti-GOP than just appalled by the lies.

CNN try to play the "both sides" game, and thus propagate GOP lies as acceptable.

That is when they're not devoting days to covering cruises drowning in excrement.

me123

Established Member
Reviving the thread to highlight some recent news.

MPs to debate calls to ban Donald Trump

:)
I don't expect this to come to anything, of course. I don't think he actually will be banned and this is essentially a debate to placate the 570,935 people (at last count) who have signed. I do think, however, that there is a significance in this. The man is an extremist lunatic. As far as I'm concerned, Americans can vote for him if they want to, but his words and (potential) actions are frankly contrary to our values, and highlighting this is probably no bad thing.

And his response:
Donald Trump threatens to pull £700m investment from Scotland
It's hard to invest in a country in which you're not allowed to enter, so I wouldn't be surprised that he'd have to make that decision. Of course, it's probably not actually going to happen. But I'm not sure why that's a significant threat - I don't particularly want his money over here. He can **** off as far as I'm concerned. We neither want nor need his golf courses. We have plenty of our own.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I have little time for anyone who believes that they can buy their way out of trouble, or into a country.

I don't believe he will be banned from entering the UK, though.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's hard to invest in a country in which you're not allowed to enter, so I wouldn't be surprised that he'd have to make that decision. Of course, it's probably not actually going to happen. But I'm not sure why that's a significant threat - I don't particularly want his money over here. He can **** off as far as I'm concerned. We neither want nor need his golf courses. We have plenty of our own.

Agreed, it's dirty money. He can keep it.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/
This website examins all off his comments and points out truth and facts in his statements. Recently his campaign video showed "Mexican migrants crossing into America like ants" (as the narrator said) when it was on fact on the Morroco-Spain border.

And it now turns out that Trump wants Mexico to pay for the border wall he is planning. How can he charge Mexico for his crazy plan??

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Trump has certainly been reported as making some ridiculous statement. The worrying thing is that so many Americans know so little about anything outside their own country (in some cases outside their own county!) that they may well believe that what he says is true.

me123

Established Member
And it now turns out that Trump wants Mexico to pay for the border wall he is planning. How can he charge Mexico for his crazy plan??

Simple answer. He can't. He has forgotten that Mexico is a sovereign nation. They are under no obligation to build a wall to keep themselves out of another country, and I see no reason to believe that they will do such a thing. Enrique Peña Nieto will just laugh in Donald Trump's face.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It all sounds good to certain sections of US society, though, just as it's meant to. The Overton Window principle is still applicable as well. He is pushing US politics further to the right even when being absurd.

Johnuk123

Established Member
I think some people think this debate is taking place in the chamber of the house of commons but it's actually in another room nearby, the other petition about not banning him is also being debated.

There is no vote because Parliament can't ban anybody so it will just be a chance for a few mp's to spout forth.

We constantly hear how mp's haven't got enought time to do anything but by debating this ridiculous petition it proves that they've got time for trivia.

Status
Not open for further replies.