• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2018 New Years resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well now that we’re some way into 2018 I’m interested to know about your resolutions for the year?

Do you plan on giving up smoking/alcohol/social media/rail enthusiasm?
Mine would be to:

1) Get more exercise, including a bit more running.
2) Stop messing around and get the outstanding jobs done around the house (there are many).
3) Become a millionaire.

Anyone else?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
For me, stopping smoking definitely needs to be a priority, as does getting a bit more exercise. My waistline has expanded considerably over the last few years, so that definitely needs dealing with. I suppose that means cutting down on the beer too...

I'm also hoping to get some rail travel done this year. I've got two preserved lines nearby that are easily accessible on a day trip, and while I visited one (Strathspey) in my teens, I haven't been back since. The Keith & Dufftown is on the list, too.

TheAdelante

My New Years resolutions:

Do not let my siblings tell me what to do.

Do not let my hobbies get in the way of GCSE revision.

Work up the courage to tell my mates I’m a rail enthusiast...

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Now if I may add something here ;)...

Do not let my siblings tell me what to do.
Yep definitely.

Do not let my hobbies get in the way of revision.
Yep, again definitely...

Work up the courage to tell my mates I’m a rail enthusiast...

Do it, and enjoy the feeling.

I love watching people’s reactions when I tell them I like railways... Don’t be ashamed because you’ll be surprised at how interested people actually are...

TheAdelante

I love watching people’s reactions when I tell them I like railways... Don’t be ashamed because you’ll be surprised at how interested people actually are...
Haha - the thing is though my brother and I are one of the most popular boys in our year at high school and I fear that we would lose our popularity if people knew... :oops:

I mean I know I shouldn’t think that but sadly that most likely would happen these days.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Haha - the thing is though my brother and I are one of the most popular boys in our year at high school and I fear that we would lose our popularity if people knew... :oops:

I mean I know I shouldn’t think that but sadly that most likely would happen these days.
Hm ok. We’ll discuss this tomorrow when we’re (by that I mean me) a bit clearer headed.
I’ve got a few things to say on that subject.
Happy New Whatsit. ;)

TheAdelante

Hm ok. We’ll discuss this tomorrow when we’re (by that I mean me) a bit clearer headed.
I’ve got a few things to say on that subject.
Happy New Whatsit. ;)
Whatsit? :lol:
I can’t say I understand your humour there Mr Cowley :s but happy new year 8-)

Aussie_Rail

I started a new years resolution Jan 1st 2013 to not eat Maccas, Burger King, KFC etc and I'm still going.

This year I plan to be more productive, eat better and get out more among other things.

TheNewNo2

I don't call it a new year thing as such, but after a pretty awful year for my mental health, I have decided on one thing:

* Do not be "friends" with people who will not put in any effort to keep a friendship alive.

I'm done trying to coax blood from a stone, if they aren't going to take the initiative in talking once in a while they can go **** themselves.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not to post things on the forum or start threads after having too much to drink. Maybe I’ll try and find a breathalyser attachment for the phone.

Established Member
Now if I may add something here ;)...

Yep definitely.

Yep, again definitely...

I second that certainly!

Most people found it fascinating that I had the patience to travel to the top of Scotland (for example) and my unplanned night on the S&C earnt me celebrity status for weeks! (Literally-EVERYONE knew about that...)

Ok, a few people took the piss but it was (mostly) good natured-in the same way that you might mock someone for supporting a rubbish football team for example.

At the end of the day, people soon learnt that I'd (probably) be able to find them cheaper tickets-so I suspect that helped a fair bit!

Fred43123

• Travel about as much as possible
  • Try and fly somewhere this year
  • Learn to drive

xotGD

Established Member
To get back below 13 stone. Currently 13-9. Previously I got down from 15 to 13 over an 18 month period, but then have drifted back up.

bramling

Veteran Member
Well now that we’re some way into 2018 I’m interested to know about your resolutions for the year?

Do you plan on giving up smoking/alcohol/social media/rail enthusiasm?
Mine would be to:

1) Get more exercise, including a bit more running.
2) Stop messing around and get the outstanding jobs done around the house (there are many).
3) Become a millionaire.

Anyone else?

This may sound a bit strange, but mine is not really a resolution as such, but it's to do my best to help my best friend get the dream job he really wants.

Crossover

Established Member
I second that certainly!

Most people found it fascinating that I had the patience to travel to the top of Scotland (for example) and my unplanned night on the S&C earnt me celebrity status for weeks! (Literally-EVERYONE knew about that...)

Ok, a few people took the **** but it was (mostly) good natured-in the same way that you might mock someone for supporting a rubbish football team for example.

At the end of the day, people soon learnt that I'd (probably) be able to find them cheaper tickets-so I suspect that helped a fair bit!

A few of my colleagues have got to know about my interest over the past few years and generally been pretty supportive. I’ve recently joined Instagram and have a few colleagues on there (never had any of them on Facebook) and I have the odd rail thing on there and I’ve ended up having a couple of conversations about it with other colleagues :)

Established Member
Here are mine:
  • Eat healthy food more regularly.
  • Get more exercise.
  • Spend more quality time with my loved ones.
  • Buy less treats like cakes, biscuits etc.

telstarbox

Established Member
Compared to some things people get up to in their spare time railway enthusiasm is entirely uncontroversial. I'm sure your friends would be fine with it but if not you're probably better off without them. :)

roversfan2001

Established Member
I don't call it a new year thing as such, but after a pretty awful year for my mental health, I have decided on one thing:

* Do not be "friends" with people who will not put in any effort to keep a friendship alive.

I'm done trying to coax blood from a stone, if they aren't going to take the initiative in talking once in a while they can go **** themselves.
That's exactly mine too, had quite a few people who I used to consider 'close friends' who simply couldn't give a toss about me this past year.

D365

Veteran Member
My website single resolution is to steer clear of any DOO threads on the website and an expressed hope not to "wind-up" the true "Shooter believers" on the Vivarail Class 230 thread.

Sadly that does rather conflict with mine; I have a stated aim to make time for a visit to the Cotswolds as part of my current research.

Not to post things on the forum or start threads after having too much to drink. Maybe I’ll try and find a breathalyser attachment for the phone.

That’s pretty much my resolution, that I ought to sign out before I hit the pub...

... hic ... oh I’ve already broken that :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.