• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2023 New Track Coverage

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gathursty

Established Member
Week of 10/4
Belfast Great Victoria Street to Derry/Londonderry
Lanyon Place to Bangor (NI)

1971martin

A few days in the North West gave the following -

27th March

Lancaster - Morecambe
Morecambe - Heysham Port

28th March

Ormskirk - Preston
Kirkham & Wesham - Blackpool South
Preston - Blackburn
Bolton - Wigan Wallgate

29th March

Wigan Wallgate - Southport

Techniquest

Veteran Member
26/04/2023

Penhelig-Pwllheli

I am reliably informed I did this line as a small child, so well over 30 years ago. I had no memory of it, but I do now. Beautiful scenery on that line, a shame Pwllheli's a bit of a poor quality town but Criccieth's nice :)

A Challenge

Established Member
Just realised I've not posted in this thread yet - so here's my year so far
  • Morecambe South Junction to Morecambe
  • Morecambe to Heysham Port
  • Carnforth North Junction to Arnside
  • Carnforth to Keighley
  • Settle Jn to Pettril Bridge Jn
  • Gretna Jn to Dumfries
  • South Kirkby Jn to Doncaster Marshgate Jn.
  • Liverpool South Parkway to Aigburth
  • Moorfields to Ormskirk
  • Liverpool Central to Birkenhead Hamilton Square
  • Kirkdale to Kirkby
  • Sandhills to Birkdale
  • New Brighton to Birkenhead Hamilton Square
  • St Denys to Fareham
  • Cosham Jn to Farlington Jn
  • Chapeltown to Huddersfield

Also got the Sheffield Station crossover on the Supertram, but I don't normally to track to that level, and even just on the tram I haven't done the Herdings branch outbound, only inbound

gabrielhj07

03MAY2023

Golden Valley Line (Swindon - Standish Jn)
Kings Norton - Landor St Junction
Tapton Jn (Chesterfield) - Masborough Jn
Moorthorpe - Church Fenton via Ferrybridge N Jn, Milford Jn

Turbo004

May 14th

Luton DART (Luton Airport Parkway - Luton)
Werrington Diveunder (Peterbororgh)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
11/05/2023
Worgret Junction to River Frome Bridge (connection from Poole to Weymouth line to the Swanage Railway)

12/05/2023
West Cliff Funicular (Bournemouth)

**When I was looking up funiculars on Wikipedia, I was pleased to note that the one at Ermones Beach in Corfu is still running. Did this in 1981, and it remains both the most Southerly and Easterly "railway" I have travelled on! o_O

Mike99

I've just done Barking Riverside, which leaves me 1) Exeter to Okehampton (planned for September), and 2) Ridgmont to Bedford. To then complete the UK I've also got left, and have had lingering for a few years, 3) Drem to North Berwick in Scotland, (My oversight when I did an ALR!!!! (I've always been based in London, South Coast, Leicester and now rural Suffolk) its a fair old trip for just a few miles, but it will have to be done.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've just done Barking Riverside, which leaves me 1) Exeter to Okehampton (planned for September), and 2) Ridgmont to Bedford. To then complete the UK I've also got left, and have had lingering for a few years, 3) Drem to North Berwick in Scotland, (My oversight when I did an ALR!!!! (I've always been based in London, South Coast, Leicester and now rural Suffolk) its a fair old trip for just a few miles, but it will have to be done.

Might I suggest train one way, bus the other? Two different views that way 8-) This is for North Berwick to be clear. Also worth looking at the possibility of train to Berwick upon Tweed, bus to North Berwick then train to Drem and beyond. Just an idea for mixing things up :)

12LDA28C

Established Member
I've just done Barking Riverside, which leaves me 1) Exeter to Okehampton (planned for September), and 2) Ridgmont to Bedford.

I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation but I'm wondering why you need Ridgmont to Bedford? A branch like that between two main lines would surely usually be traversed in its entirety en route to somewhere else, it would certainly be unusual to travel from Bletchley to Ridgmont and no further - Ridgmont itself is not much of a destination!

Mike99

That's a great question and the answer is, a couple of years ago I had arranged a day out using advances snd singles from Leicester and the day before the service was suspended between Ridgmont and Bedford, so I covered Bletchley to Ridgmont and thought I'll easily knockout the other bit!!!!

12LDA28C

Established Member
That's a great question and the answer is, a couple of years ago I had arranged a day out using advances snd singles from Leicester and the day before the service was suspended between Ridgmont and Bedford, so I covered Bletchley to Ridgmont and thought I'll easily knockout the other bit!!!!

Fair enough, that's a good reason! Many years ago (1986 I think) I arrived back at Bedford from the north after doing an East Midlands Rover, to catch the 2-car DMU back to Bletchley but it had failed. After a very short wait 31131 was attached to the front, dragging the unit through to destination.

Mike99

I imagine everyone who has done some track, or even to cover the track of the whole of mainland UK have had loads of things happen over the years, goes with the territory. A great hobby nonetheless.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I imagine everyone who has done some track, or even to cover the track of the whole of mainland UK have had loads of things happen over the years, goes with the territory. A great hobby nonetheless.

Quite so! I haven't had it happen too often, thankfully, and had to scour the memory banks a bit for a notable occasion. I cannot remember when it was, mid-2000s I suspect, but I was in Carlisle for a 57-hauled Pendolino over the S&C to Preston. For reasons lost to the mists of time, I don't remember what happened but it was all cancelled and onto replacement coaches to Preston instead.

I'm sure there was another time in particular where it's all gone belly up, but given my last mission specifically to cover track was way back in 2012, I'm not so sure any more on what it might have been!

xotGD

Established Member
27th May

Walsall - Castle Bromwich Jn (Sutton Park Line)
Newton Abbot West Jn - Paignton

AJM580

1). Ilford Down Passenger Avoiding Line
2). Gidea Park Stabling Lines Road No.2
3). Shenfield P5
4). Ingatestone Down Passenger Loop
5). Chelmsford Lower Yard Road No.2 (to Buffer Stop)
6). Chelmsford Down Passenger Loop
7). Witham Down Passenger Loop
8). Colchester Down Goods
9). Ipswich Up Main
10). Claydon Down Goods Loop
11). Bury St Edmunds Run Round Loop
12). Ely Up Goods Loop
13). Brandon Down Goods Loop
14). Lakenham Down to Up Crossover bobbins
15). Diss Up Through Siding
16). Mistley Down Goods Loop
17). Parkeston Freight Sidings Road No.12
18). Parkeston Junction Down to Up Crossover bobbins
19). Harwich Up Tip Sidings Road No.3 and then Road No.2 (to Buffer Stop)
20). Harwich Carless Curve Headshunt (to 20ft from Buffer Stop)
21). Harwich Carless Curve
22). Harwich Carless Curve Reversal Headshunt (to a loco length from Buffer Stop)
23). Colchester Up Passenger Loop
24). Marks Tey Up Passenger Loop
25). Witham Up Passenger Loop
26). Chelmsford Arbour Lane crossovers

All the above Quail & Baker level track covered on the Powerful Parkeston Panorama UK Railtours charter with 66748 & 66765

jnjkerbin

12/3
Darlaston Jn - Bescot Jn

25/3
Reading Southern Jn - Reading East Jn (Reading Low Level Line)

29/5
Ardrossan Harbour - Kilwinning Jn
Rutherglen East Jn - Greenhill Lower Jn

30/5
Copenhagen Jn - Camden Road Central Jn
Primrose Hill Jn - Camden Jn (Mainline)
Wembley Yard South Jn - Wembley Receptions 1-7

Turbo004

SUNDAY 4TH JUNE
Harlesden Junction - Kensal Green Junction
(Near Willesden Junction)

To do it caught the London to Glasgow Sleeper!

David Goddard

Established Member
Finally ticked off Reading Low Level on a trip to Guildford last Friday. One of the few plusses of a strike day timetable as the 0918 was fresh from the depot

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
14/06/23

Neilston Headshunt ( unintentional - didn't realise the thing didn't return off the same platform... )

15/06/23

Lanark Junction - Lanark
Haughead Junction - Larkhall