• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Local, Mayoral and PCC Elections

Gloster

Established Member
One of the things that I have noticed is the horrendously low percentages that some of the Conservative mayoral candidates achieved. In a couple of cases they were down around 10% and around half were below 20%. This really ought to give the Conservatives something to think about, but I expect that they will crow about their few successes and believe that that means they weren’t far-right enough. (The Labour candidate in Tees Valley gained 41.3%, which makes the Conservative victory slightly less impressive.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PGAT

Established Member
I would expect Susan Hall to win Croydon and Sutton, Havering and Redbridge and Khan to win Southwark and Lambeth, the big one is Camden and Barnet which Sadiq Khan won last time.
Forgot to mention Barnet & Camden was 35% Hall, 43% Khan. As for Havering & Redbridge: 29% Khan, 48% Hall and finally Lambeth & Southwark is 61% Khan, 15% Hall

Thirteen

Interesting that while turnout was higher in the outer Boroughs it didn't help Hall at all because of Sadiq is strong in inner London. Losing West Central and South West was a key factor of Hall losing.

Class 466

Established Member
Seems like the West Midlands vote is incredibly close with Labour performing very well.

gg1

Established Member
After 105 out of 107 council declarations:
Labour 1,089 +227
LibDem 521 +97
Conservative 505 -397
Other 284 -17
Green 181 +64
Where are you seeing those numbers? BBC totals after 106 councils declared are similar to yours as I'd expect but the change values don't look right:

Labour 1140 +185
Lib Dem 521 +104
Conservative 513 -473
Independants & Others 282 +110
Green 181 +74

jfollows

Established Member
Where are you seeing those numbers? BBC totals after 106 councils declared are similar to yours as I'd expect but the change values don't look right:

Labour 1140 +185
Lib Dem 521 +104
Conservative 513 -473
Green 181 +74
Guardian figures “change in this election” https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ections-2024-full-council-results-for-england for what it’s worth.

Now showing
Labour 1140 +231
LibDem 521 +97
Conservative 513 -396
Other 285 -22
Green 181 +64

Discrepancy for sure.

Gloster

Established Member
Much as I am a Guardian reader to heart and soul, I use the BBC figures as I find the Guardian ones a bit errratic. I think Auntie doesn’t include a figure until it has been officially confirmed.

Magdalia

Established Member
After 105 out of 107 council declarations:
Labour 1,089 +227
LibDem 521 +97
Conservative 505 -397
Other 284 -17
Green 181 +64

BBC totals after 106 councils declared are similar to yours as I'd expect but the change values don't look right:

Labour 1140 +185
Lib Dem 521 +104
Conservative 513 -473
Green 181 +74
The 106th council is North Tyneside where Labour won 51 seats, Conservatives 8 and independent 1.

The two sources are therefore very similar regarding Thursday's results.

Where they differ is what they compare against. On the basis of results here I think that the BBC compare with the 2021 election and ignore subsequent by-election changes. There may also be differences regarding treatment of boundary changes.

takno

Established Member

Labour 1140 +185
Lib Dem 521 +104
Conservative 513 -473
Green 181 +74
I suspect the totals are affected by the additional council as Magdalia noted. The Labour and Independent changes are probably affected by how the various Labour suspensions and defections were counted - Guardian may have counted them as "previously independent" and the BBC may have counted them as "Labour at the last election".

Kite159

Veteran Member
Khan has won in London.
Ah well, 4 more years of Khan and his attempts to run London.

Pay by mile and hotel tax announcements by the end of the month?

Some turnouts seem to be quite poor throughout this election, shows that most people (two thirds+) can't be bothered to vote between eating poo and drinking vomit as neither party are appealing.

Gloster

Established Member
Does this mean that for all their whining the London voters are happy with ULEZ?

It is the more vociferous outer-Londoners who don’t like it and make a lot of noise because it means that they have to pay to drive their darling 4X4s over the inner Londoners, who are rather more in favour. One wonders how much things were affected by that arch anti-ULEZ campaigner Fox not standing for mayor, due to his own incompetence.

takno

Established Member

Some turnouts seem to be quite poor throughout this election, shows that most people (two thirds+) can't be bothered to vote between eating poo and drinking vomit as neither party are appealing.
The turnout figures are pretty reasonable for local elections. FWIW I don't believe any candidate from any of the major parties proposed either of those policies.

londonteacher

To be honest hotel taxes is something that is done in many countries and appears to have had no impact on tourism. Paris for example is still swarming with tourists despite a hotel tax.

Regardless of turnout, which is always low for local elections, the swings from Conservatives to Labour is of a positive integer in most constituencies. The tories could have had a chance to get close or even win if they had put forward a competent candidate - instead they chose Hall.

PGAT

Established Member
Does this mean that for all their whining the London voters are happy with ULEZ?
The media is making a bigger fuss out of ULEZ than it actually is. When the expansion to the M25 was announced 90% of vehicles were compliant and nowadays its closer to 98%, so only a small amount of people would be upset by it

Vinnym

The poor turnouts show people are not interested in Metro Mayors, time to do away with this position that costs council tax payers more money on their bills

Class 466

Established Member
The poor turnouts show people are not interested in Metro Mayors, time to do away with this position that costs council tax payers more money on their bills
Might as well get rid of councillors too then? given council elections never get a high turnout.

londonteacher

It doesn’t show that at all. Local election turnout is always low.

drive their darling 4X4s over the inner Londoners, w
This is such a lazy strawman.
80% of the opposition is tradies with older vans and 20% are people with old mondeos who fell for the diesel push in the noughties. 95% of SUVs you'll see in London are ulez compliant, since the kind of people who drive Chelsea tractors wouldnt be caught dead in a car made in 2015

SteveM70

Established Member

44% of households in London don’t own a car. There’s a big difference between the scale of anti-ULEZ feeling and the relatively small number that are very vocal about it

deltic

Established Member
Aren't turnouts for Metro mayors higher than for council elections?