• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Local, Mayoral and PCC Elections

75A

Established Member
44% of households in London don’t own a car. There’s a big difference between the scale of anti-ULEZ feeling and the relatively small number that are very vocal about it
Wow, I didn't know that (the 44%).
The publicity the vocals get makes it seem that every household in London has at least 1 car. Got to say it's been a few decades since I've been there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
The Greens going from third to fourth does make me wonder what the reason was.

They were only fractionally behind the LibDems. At a guess, I would say that a goodly proportion of the Green voters are savvy enough to have realised the implication of the change to FPTP and decided not to make an empty gesture, but vote for whichever of the top two candidates was most likely to bring in (or at least perpetuate) green policies, rather than smashing them.

jfollows

Established Member
I think I’d now bet on the Conservatives just losing West Midlands after recounts, but that’s probably emotional guesswork really on my part. Recount in Coventry.

EDIT I’d laugh a lot if they lose because of FPTP whereas they’d have won under the previous system, although I have no idea whether or not that’s the case.

Last edited:

Ah well, 4 more years of Khan and his attempts to run London.

Pay by mile and hotel tax announcements by the end of the month?

Some turnouts seem to be quite poor throughout this election, shows that most people (two thirds+) can't be bothered to vote between eating poo and drinking vomit as neither party are appealing.
In contrast to this Tory Government Sadiq Khan intervenes to get industrial action called off so I am very happy with this result as it means my journeys through London will not be disrupted by industrial action.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does this mean that for all their whining the London voters are happy with ULEZ?
Are you suggesting there is one unanimous view?

I suspect most Londoners are happy, but an extremely vocal minority are not.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Greens going from third to fourth does make me wonder what the reason was.
I should be a prime candidate to vote Green (I don't own a car, for example) however I consider them to be utterly bonkers; their anti-HS2 stance is indicative of the fact they are not in the real world. Most people know they are completely unelectable as a party. There are not enough sensible people in the party to consider voting for them.

nw1

Established Member
Brent & Harrow: 37% Khan, 42% Hall

Now that is surprising, I thought Brent was true-red Labour but it appears that it is to the right of places like Wandsworth.

Wandsworth has a particular memory from the 1994 (I think) local elections: I distinctly remember Tandridge, Wokingham and Wandsworth as the only district/borough councils in the London and South East which retained Tory control. Brent would presumably never have gone blue in 1994. How things change...

Croydon and Ealing also true-blue, which strikes me as equally odd. The latter includes John McDonnell's home patch.

I wonder if this will translate to some odd results in the GE, such as the Tories taking back various seats in south, west and northwest London which Labour currently hold? And at the same time, Labour gain Chingford from Iain Duncan Smith, which looks like it's in one of the red areas. Now that would be an odd mix of results.

Not sure it's even totally about ULEZ as certain parts of Outer London seem to have trended Labour, such as Enfield and even Barnet. Is it an indication of which areas of London are socially-liberal and which are socially-conservative, more than anything else?

But I am glad about Khan's ten-point lead especially after the system was changed to something more favourable for the Tories.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I think I’d now bet on the Conservatives just losing West Midlands after recounts, but that’s probably emotional guesswork really on my part. Recount in Coventry.

EDIT I’d laugh a lot if they lose because of FPTP whereas they’d have won under the previous system, although I have no idea whether or not that’s the case.
Doesn't look likely with only one area to declare now and Labour will only have themselves to blame for their obsessive stance over Gaza

deltic

Established Member
Now that is surprising, I thought Brent was true-red Labour but it appears that it is to the right of places like Wandsworth.

Wandsworth has a particular memory from the 1994 (I think) local elections: I distinctly remember Tandridge, Wokingham and Wandsworth as the only district/borough councils in the London and South East which retained Tory control. Brent would presumably never have gone blue in 1994. How things change...

Croydon and Ealing also true-blue, which strikes me as equally odd.

I wonder if this will translate to some odd results in the GE, such as the Tories taking back various seats in south, west and northwest London which Labour currently hold? And at the same time, Labour gain Chingford from Iain Duncan Smith, which looks like it's in one of the red areas. Now that would be an odd mix of results.

Not sure it's even totally about ULEZ as certain parts of Outer London seem to have trended Labour, such as Enfield and even Barnet. Is it an indication of which areas of London are socially-liberal and which are socially-conservative, more than anything else?

But I am glad about Khan's ten-point lead even after the system was changed to something more favourable for the Tories.
Harrow is conservative, Brent is pretty solidly labour

gg1

Established Member
The Labour and Independent changes are probably affected by how the various Labour suspensions and defections were counted - Guardian may have counted them as "previously independent" and the BBC may have counted them as "Labour at the last election".

That would make sense, it certainly explains the reversal in the independents changes between the Guardian and BBC figures.

JD2168

What exactly is a Sheffield councillor going to do about Gaza?

I think it to do with Darnall having a large Muslim population. As seen in other areas such as Oldham where labour lost control of the council & Bradford where a number of independents won labour’s stance of Gaza has caused a shift in some of the voting.

Why did all the councillors have their trousers down?

Hung is another way of saying the Council has No Overall Control.

Oliver Coppard has won the South Yorkshire Mayor election, Andy Burnham has won the Greater Manchester Mayor election & Tracy Brabin has won the West Yorkshire Mayor election.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
I should be a prime candidate to vote Green (I don't own a car, for example) however I consider them to be utterly bonkers; their anti-HS2 stance is indicative of the fact they are not in the real world. Most people know they are completely unelectable as a party. There are not enough sensible people in the party to consider voting for them.
They're also anti-nuclear power which puts people off.

jfollows

Established Member
“A local source said that if Rishi Sunak had not axed HS2 then Andy Street would have won.”

From Sam Coates on Sky.

Sky predicting that Labour are about to win with final votes from Sandwell.
By just over 1,000 votes.

EDIT Sky reporting 1,000 to 1,500 votes, and Number 10 clearly miscalculated that Andy Street would win. They got it right with Houchen. I can’t imagine they really thought that Sadiq Khan would lose, but who knows?

HS2 repeatedly mentioned on Sky as one reason for the loss.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
I actually feel quite sad - Andy Street has always given me the impression of a thoroughly decent man who has been doing a decent job. A shame the absolute shower that is the Conservative Party has dragged him down with them. One could only hope they'd do the decent thing and put themselves out of their misery but of course they won't.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
“A local source said that if Rishi Sunak had not axed HS2 then Andy Street would have won.”

From Sam Coates on Sky.

By just over 1,000 votes.

EDIT Sky reporting 1,000 to 1,500 votes, and Number 10 clearly miscalculated that Andy Street would win. They got it right with Houchen. I can’t imagine they really thought that Sadiq Khan would lose, but who knows?

HS2 repeatedly mentioned on Sky as one reason for the loss.
Labour have secured West Midlands by 1500 votes

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I actually feel quite sad - Andy Street has always given me the impression of a thoroughly decent man who has been doing a decent job. A shame the absolute shower that is the Conservative Party has dragged him down with them. One could only hope they'd do the decent thing and put themselves out of their misery but of course they won't.
Well he could have stood as an independent and probably won it still.

So thats all the mayors except Tees Valley in the hands of Labour

Thirteen

Croydon and Ealing also true-blue, which strikes me as equally odd. The latter includes John McDonnell's home patch.

But I am glad about Khan's ten-point lead especially after the system was changed to something more favourable for the Tories.
You have to remember that some of these places have are a mix of Labour and Conservatives, Ealing is strongly Labour but Hillingdon is strongly Conservative.

Croydon and Sutton have skewed Conservative for a while but I suspect the Tories will lose some of their seats in those wards to the Lib Dems.

Tezza1978

I'm shocked, shocked, SHOCKED that Sunak cancelling Birmingham's HS2 link to Manchester was not a roaringly successful policy move for Andy Street's chances of re-election.....

londonteacher

Well… how long now until Sunak calls the general election? My guess is sooner than the autumn now.