• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 Tube Stock (Siemens Inspiro)

Silent

Allegedly they have red and green lights above the doors. I presume they mean on the inside, so that you know in advance which side the doors will open, and also if any of the end doors won't open on a short platform (if there are any short platforms on the lines in question).
Inside and outside from what I’ve seen. A strip at the top of the doors

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silent

Does anyone have much of a prediction of how the trains would sound. I've been watching some Siemens Inspiro trains, they seem to sound similar but different. Makes me think it might also sound similar to some NY trains I've seen on youtube that use Siemens traction.

ijmad

Established Member
Does anyone have much of a prediction of how the trains would sound. I've been watching some Siemens Inspiro trains, they seem to sound similar but different. Makes me think it might also sound similar to some NY trains I've seen on youtube that use Siemens traction.

You can hear the motor noise in some of the videos covering the testing in Germany, e.g. this one:

I think the best capture of the noise is from around 1:00 in. They seem quite quiet and unremarkable at speed, but I can't find a clip of one stopping or starting, so I'm not sure if they'll make the same chop noise as the Inspiros in other places (e.g. the Warsaw Metro) at low speed.

Mr. SW

The windows in the doors seem rather low. But with announcements I suppose that would do away with the need to stoop. Perhaps this is a measure to get those standing to move away from the doors to keep the vestibule more open.

Silent

Do they say which side the doors open from? Why can District Line trains not do this?
I don't really know but I'm guessing it might be to do with signalling, probably not, but it seems like only completely ATO lines do this function?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't really know but I'm guessing it might be to do with signalling, probably not, but it seems like only completely ATO lines do this function?
I don’t think it’s anything to do with signalling or anything that complex - I think it’s just as simple as being a pre-recorded announcement for each station; hence why the Victoria line doesn’t announce it at Walthamstow, Brixton, or Seven Sisters Northbound; or the Jubilee line at Stratford, Stanmore or North Greenwich.

RacsoMoquette

I have begun to notice that the general body aesthetics and curvature of the exterior of the New Stock is more comparable and quite similar to the 1995/96 Stock and less so on the 1992/09 Stocks.

AM9

Veteran Member
I have begun to notice that the general body aesthetics and curvature of the exterior of the New Stock is more comparable and quite similar to the 1995/96 Stock and less so on the 1992/09 Stocks.
Well it it's profiled to make maximum use of the lines' structure gauges, particularly the more restricted Central line.

Silent

I don’t think it’s anything to do with signalling or anything that complex - I think it’s just as simple as being a pre-recorded announcement for each station; hence why the Victoria line doesn’t announce it at Walthamstow, Brixton, or Seven Sisters Northbound; or the Jubilee line at Stratford, Stanmore or North Greenwich.
Yeah that’s understandable

Snow1964

Established Member
A number of news outlets are reporting that Government is giving £250m to TfL for capital projects including new Piccadilly line trains

The Department for Transport (TfL) said the package will be used by Transport for London (TfL) for projects such as providing new Tube trains for the Piccadilly line.

TfL is not allowed to spend the money on its day-to-day operations.

Rail minister Huw Merriman said: “We’re investing in transport across the country, and today’s agreement will have a tangible, positive impact not just for people travelling in and around the capital but also the millions who visit every year.

The wording is same on multiple sites so must have been emailed as it is not on DfT website

Snow1964

Established Member
A very loud silence on Bakerloo line trains.

No, Bakerloo line fleet is mentioned in paragraph 2, although nothing to indicate if and when it might become an order

2 HMGexpectsTfLtobecomefinanciallysustainable by March 2024, which it defines as TfL’s ability to cover, from sources available to it (including the consideration of potential new sources of income and committed Business Rates Retention): operating expenditure; servicing and repaying debt; and capital enhancements and renewals. For major capital enhancements and renewals (eg replacement of life expired rolling stock such as the Bakerloo Line fleet, signalling and major road renewals), TfL is not expected to solely finance these from operating incomes, as is consistent with other transport authorities. The conditions in paragraph 9 apply to any major capital enhancements and renewals.

Thirteen

The tram and Bakerloo line stock replacements are the ones TfL have sought finance for, I'm not sure how much trams cost but assume it'll be cheaper than the 2024 stock since it'll not be bespoke

TRAX

Established Member
The tram and Bakerloo line stock replacements are the ones TfL have sought finance for, I'm not sure how much trams cost but assume it'll be cheaper than the 2024 stock since it'll not be bespoke
Trams are quite a bit cheaper than metros in any case.
Approx 2-4 million a piece.

Mikey C

Established Member
Politically, unless someone agrees to assemble the replacement trams in the UK, they won't be creating/maintaining any new jobs here, which makes them less of a "good news" story for the rest of the UK...

Dent

A number of news outlets are reporting that Government is giving £250m to TfL for capital projects including new Piccadilly line trains

The wording is same on multiple sites so must have been emailed as it is not on DfT website
How are the Piccadilly Line trains already in production of they have only just been given the funding for them?

Geogregor

Serial production hasn’t started yet.

I'm pretty sure they started working on them , at least the firts batch coming from Vienna. And they also spend quite a bit of money on the factory in Yorkshire where the rest will be build.

It is all politics, things are routinely being announced multiple times.

TRAX

Established Member
I'm pretty sure they started working on them , at least the firts batch coming from Vienna. And they also spend quite a bit of money on the factory in Yorkshire where the rest will be build.

Prototypes will be done yes, but not serial units until the initial batch has been approved and any changes implemented in the design.

thomalex

A very loud silence on Bakerloo line trains.

From how I see it Bakerloo has to happen because the trains are knackered and will cost increasingly more to keep going in the years ahead, and because Siemens has just built a factory in Goole to build the new deep level tube stock. Not granting funding for new Bakerloo trains would create a hole for TfL who would then require funding to keep the existing Bakerloo going anyway and closing the factory would be politically difficult. Then there's the reality that these trains are already half a century old.

Personally I think any announcement will be linked in with the Bakerloo extension with some of the funding linked into over site development on that project.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Politically, unless someone agrees to assemble the replacement trams in the UK, they won't be creating/maintaining any new jobs here, which makes them less of a "good news" story for the rest of the UK...
Well, Derby are currently building trains for the Cairo Metro and Newport are building trams for Jerusalem, so it's certainly possible they could be assembled here.

Mikey C

Established Member

Indeed. Siemens wouldn't have built that factory without a guarantee of production once the prototype was accepted.

I'd be amazed if the Bakerloo Line trains weren't announced before the next election too. The government will be desperate for some good news for the "north".

Thirteen

From how I see it Bakerloo has to happen because the trains are knackered and will cost increasingly more to keep going in the years ahead, and because Siemens has just built a factory in Goole to build the new deep level tube stock. Not granting funding for new Bakerloo trains would create a hole for TfL who would then require funding to keep the existing Bakerloo going anyway and closing the factory would be politically difficult. Then there's the reality that these trains are already half a century old.

Personally I think any announcement will be linked in with the Bakerloo extension with some of the funding linked into over site development on that project.
The 1972 stock is not just life expired, it's a zombie at this point.

Well, Derby are currently building trains for the Cairo Metro and Newport are building trams for Jerusalem, so it's certainly possible they could be assembled here.
Neither the B23s or previous tram stocks were built in the UK so I suspect if it's cheaper to build them abroad then TfL will opt for that. It's such a small order that probably not worth building it in the UK. Saying that, could the Siemens Avenio be built in Goole?

Goldfish62

Established Member
I'd be amazed if the Bakerloo Line trains weren't announced before the next election too. The government will be desperate for some good news for the "north".
I'd have thought it's pretty certain. Siemens have already said that there's currently no work for Goole beyond 2027.

TRAX

Established Member
could the Siemens Avenio be built in Goole?
same issue but the other way around. Siemens won’t find it profitable to open or convert a whole production line to build trams for a market which virtually doesn’t exist.