• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2024 uk railtours dates

12LDA28C

Established Member
Is anyone aware of any Class 31 and/or 47 railtours this year please?

LSL's Statesman tours are currently diagrammed for Class 47 haulage and this will continue for the time being unless they suffer a severe shortage of available power although fairly deep pockets are required to book on these. There will also be a few InterCity tours using 47712 and the DBSO set such as the one running over Easter. Also, Saphos steam tours often feature LSL 47s on the diesel sections which can often be decent mileage.

47375 is also booked to operate a tour in Hungary in early June.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A trip to the North East needs something which can go faster than a class 66 for the trunk leg. The Shrewsbury trip and the Harbourmaster involve a 57/3 before the 66s take over.
It would be so handy if they would just state that then, as usual say a 57/3 would seam favourite for it there's no way NR would let a 75mph loco plod that far up the ECML

1Q18

It would be so handy if they would just state that then, as usual say a 57/3 would seam favourite for it there's no way NR would let a 75mph loco plod that far up the ECML
There’s plenty of steam tours on the ECML which are limited to 75mph, so the paths do exist.

There’s plenty of steam tours on the ECML which are limited to 75mph, so the paths do exist.
Well I for one would not to be stuck on a kettle path, I've done 66s from Kings Cross up to Berwick but that wasn't in one go, thats what I say a 57 would probably be the probable traction, on Facebook comments on the advert for the tour is heading for a 57 as that's what peeps are saying, its just a pity THEY aren't saying it

Iskra

Established Member
Well I for one would not to be stuck on a kettle path, I've done 66s from Kings Cross up to Berwick but that wasn't in one go, thats what I say a 57 would probably be the probable traction, on Facebook comments on the advert for the tour is heading for a 57 as that's what peeps are saying, its just a pity THEY aren't saying it
UKRT have confirmed elsewhere it is a GBRF 57.

GBRF 57’s seem a popular choice this year.

12LDA28C

Established Member

I guess it rather depends on the stock used (eg provision of a genny van) and any requirement for ETS...

I guess it rather depends on the stock used (eg provision of a genny van) and any requirement for ETS...
Well they usually use the Riv air cons on hauled stuff and that comes with the ex royal genny car. As I need a 57 kgx up to York I'll have to have a look but there suddenly stuff coming up to book, apart from chingfinder who just seam to be on a quest to take everyone to phwhelli

12LDA28C

Established Member
Well they usually use the Riv air cons on hauled stuff and that comes with the ex royal genny car. As I need a 57 kgx up to York I'll have to have a look but there suddenly stuff coming up to book, apart from chingfinder who just seam to be on a quest to take everyone to phwhelli

If you're after 57s on various routes, there's a Pathfinder Bristol - Carlisle tour this coming Saturday 24th which may well feature 57314 as far as Carnforth for a kettle to take over to Carlisle then back to Preston. 47826 should also be involved.

If you're after 57s on various routes, there's a Pathfinder Bristol - Carlisle tour this coming Saturday 24th which may well feature 57314 as far as Carnforth for a kettle to take over to Carlisle then back to Preston. 47826 should also be involved.
Yeah but its pathfinder money too, no thanks. I've done Bristol Stafford on 007 and sure I've had 601 motherwell Stafford when a 87 jacked so I'm up to date on that bit,

Another tour published on website today, the Neasden Nonsense, to feature the Hastings Diesel again and traverse the Chiltern region. Perhaps 2024 will be a good year for railtours?

Nah don't need anything there not for me to consider thankfully, but I have travelled on the Hastings unit and I must say the buffet is superb

Established Member
With UK Rail tours no, but there are plenty of yours run by Locomotive Services various companies and by West Coast Railways

LSL's Statesman tours are currently diagrammed for Class 47 haulage and this will continue for the time being unless they suffer a severe shortage of available power although fairly deep pockets are required to book on these. There will also be a few InterCity tours using 47712 and the DBSO set such as the one running over Easter. Also, Saphos steam tours often feature LSL 47s on the diesel sections which can often be decent mileage.

47375 is also booked to operate a tour in Hungary in early June.

Thanks both, will take a look at those.

They have two tours up for the 27/28 July now as pathfinder has a 40 tour on the 27th are we expecting either another HST tour,thumper or have RIV got two rakes now?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They have two tours up for the 27/28 July now as pathfinder has a 40 tour on the 27th are we expecting either another HST tour,thumper or have RIV got two rakes now?
Riveria have got at least 2 mark rakes as two sets were in use last weekend, one on the Pathfinder trip and the other on the West Coast foot-ex

12LDA28C

Established Member

Riviera have had two rakes for a long time, both were in use during the King's coronation last year to transport troops to and from the event

Forget it I've found out what the stock is and there's four of them painted red,if that's a clue to anyone

27th July is on the site now 33 going to Norchard DFR via GWML and golden valley,assistance from GB 66 on the return

Kite159

Veteran Member
Now that sounds interesting, as I need to visit the Dean Forest Railway and it starts in Basingstoke to avoid the cost of accommodation.
Meant to be another tour using the 4TC on the Sunday from London Fenchurch Street to various East Anglian branch lines which could also be interesting depending where it goes.

Any more info about 28th July? Who's promoting it?
UKR If you look at the tour on the 27th its got a paragraph about it not open for booking yet but it says fenchurch St start doing branches with 33012 I suspect also featuring a GB shed

Kite159

Veteran Member
UKR If you look at the tour on the 27th its got a paragraph about it not open for booking yet but it says fenchurch St start doing branches with 33012 I suspect also featuring a GB shed
Depends if the 33 remains on the rear of the train after Basingstoke and doesn't go light engine to Eastleigh (or wherever its based) with another GB Shed popping up on the Sunday.

Wouldn't surprise me if the freight location mentioned will be something like the London Container Terminal at Tilbury.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thats a hell of a price if you ask me
Agreed there (especially compared to the tour to the Dean Forest on the Saturday at £139 which covers a lot more miles)

Anyhow, my guess for Tilbury was completely wrong. At a first glance, the only winning track for me would be the short Brett Aggregate Siding at Griffin Wharf, Ipswich [having visited Griffin Wharf a few years back on a "Charity Railtours" train which also visited Harwich Town.]

Those timings do suggest it is going to be sitting around a lot in passenger loops unless there is more to get announced as late notice bonuses.