• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

22 wagons run away at Toton, 17-1-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

2HAP

RAIB are investigating the runaway and derailment of a rake of 22 wagons at Toton on 17th January.

At 04:42 hrs on 17 January 2021, a rake of 22 wagons ran away from a siding within Old Bank sidings at Toton. Twenty-one wagons were loaded and the full rake had a reported weight of about 1870 tonnes.

Our investigation will seek to identify the sequence of events which led to the accident. It will also consider the processes that were in place for securing trains within the sidings, any factors relevant to how the risk of runaway wagons from within the sidings was being managed, the performance and design of the trap points, and any relevant underlying factors.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
I think it's lucky that said runaway occurred at 04:42 - I dread to think what could have happened further on during the day. My second thought was, It's DB again isn't it.

GB

Established Member
Just goes to show there are no guarantees where vehicles will end up during a derailment...trap points or no trap points.

class 9

I think it's lucky that said runaway occurred at 04:42 - I dread to think what could have happened further on during the day. My second thought was, It's DB again isn't it.
It's a DB site, but other FOCs work into there as well.

Dunfanaghy Rd

Apparently its a wheel chock only site...ie no handbrakes.
Then I'm only surprised that it hasn't happened before now. the chocks (DBC UK version) are a c***k of s**t. Why they can't source proper Continental type shoes is a mystery - surely a purchase order to Frankfurt would sort it.
Pat

Wyrleybart

Established Member
That is interesting. I used to enjoy watching the Austrians shunt with wheel chocks (Hemshuhe) and still recall a late afternoon observation from the station platform at Bruck an der Mur. It was amazing to watch a shunter hurl a scotch along a railhead to catch a moving wagon, but I imagine it was a thankless task walking round the yard gathering them up and putting them back in their racks

Nice little youtube video of a hemmshuch being used
(1) Was ist ein Bremsschuh - anschaulich gezeigt! - YouTube

A more realistic youtube clip
(1) Rbf Duisburg Wedau 1993(Hemmschuhleger Alltag) - YouTube

Dunfanaghy Rd

The DBUK chocks are not all steel, as the hemschuhe are. They are a wood core with a sheet metal base and tang. The tang is not thick enough to raise a wheel clear of the rail (and thus lock the wheelset). I have known them dragged out, when missed, before a move. The chock was a mess, no other ill effects. What is the point?
Pat

jfowkes

At the risk of a stupid question, why use handbrakes or chocks at all? Don't the brakes on these things fail-safe, so all that's required is to open the air system and let the brakes apply themselves?

martin2345uk

Established Member
At the risk of a stupid question, why use handbrakes or chocks at all? Don't the brakes on these things fail-safe, so all that's required is to open the air system and let the brakes apply themselves?
The air will eventually leak out so there will be nothing holding the brakes on...

ComUtoR

Established Member
The air will eventually leak out so there will be nothing holding the brakes on...

Everything I drive has "spring applied/Air released" parking brakes. Do wagons not have some form of parking brake ?

DelW

Established Member
The fail-safe operation depends on a difference between pressure in the brake pipe and pressure in the vehicle reservoir(s). When the brakes are applied, or the pipe breaks, the pipe pressure reduces or disappears, and the reservoir air pressure applies the brakes. However, as martin2345uk says, in time the reservoir pressure will leak away.

To see the potential consequences, search the web for "Lac Megantic accident". The exact facts were disputed by various parties, but in very brief summary, someone who didn't understand the consequences turned off the idling diesel engine on a parked oil tank train, which had too few handbrakes set. That meant the loco's compressor could no longer cut in top up the air system and maintain the air brakes. In due course, when the pressure dropped enough, the train ran away with very severe consequences.

(Edit) Curious link: the railroad involved, whose operating methods and safety record were widely criticised, was run by Ed Burkhardt, who also established EWS, later to become DBCargo.

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
Everything I drive has "spring applied/Air released" parking brakes. Do wagons not have some form of parking brake ?
Can only speak for the ones I've hauled, but the parking brakes are all manually applied by turning a big wheel that pushes the brake blocks against the wheels/discs. Not personally encountered any spring-operated ones myself.

Edot: I'm using parking brake and handbrake interchangeably here which may well be incorrect.

GB

Established Member
The DBUK chocks are not all steel, as the hemschuhe are. They are a wood core with a sheet metal base and tang. The tang is not thick enough to raise a wheel clear of the rail (and thus lock the wheelset). I have known them dragged out, when missed, before a move. The chock was a mess, no other ill effects. What is the point?
Pat

Chocks are only meant to hold and already stationary train...they are not designed to stop a train that is moving or stop a movement that is being hauled/pushed. Even a handbrake won’t do that unless it has a working handbrake interlock mechanism.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Can only speak for the ones I've hauled, but the parking brakes are all manually applied by turning a big wheel that pushes the brake blocks against the wheels/discs. Not personally encountered any spring-operated ones myself.

Edot: I'm using parking brake and handbrake interchangeably here which may well be incorrect.

Cheers for the reply. I know the big white wheels you speak of :)

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I don't believe any wagons have spring-applied parking brakes, partly because it's sometimes necessary to shunt them without the air hoses connected.

Dunfanaghy Rd

Chocks are only meant to hold and already stationary train...they are not designed to stop a train that is moving or stop a movement that is being hauled/pushed. Even a handbrake won’t do that unless it has a working handbrake interlock mechanism.
I agree, in the case of the British examples. On the Continent they are (or were) used to stop wagons running downhill from the hump but then they are the real deal, not the c****y ones that DBUK provides.
If they were chocked then I wonder what set them off?
Pat

MackTen

What force does a parking brake need to withstand (ignoring safety clearances) if a 1870 ton rake is to be held on a 1% gradient?

I have a feeling there's a trigonometric COS type function in there somewhere.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What force does a parking brake need to withstand (ignoring safety clearances) if a 1870 ton rake is to be held on a 1% gradient?

I have a feeling there's a COS type function in there somewhere.
Weight of wagons multiplied by % gradient, so 18.7tonnes force.

Last edited:

Dibbo4025

Weight of wagons multiplied by % gradient, so 18.7kN.
Technically Wsin(x) for x the angle of the gradient, W the weight, but for small angles (so prtety much all rail applications) the approximation sin(x)=tan(x) is pretty good

Nottingham59

Established Member
1870 tonne rake on a 1% gradient needs 1% of its weight, 18.7 tonnes, so 187kN. Plus at least the same again (probably more) for a safety margin.

(And just out of interest, what locomotive would be needed to haul such a load uphill? A Class 20 has a maximum tractive effort of 186kN, so couldn't do it. Would say a Class 37 be able to cope?)

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
1870 tonne rake on a 1% gradient needs 1% of its weight, 18.7 tonnes, so 187kN. Plus at least the same again (probably more) for a safety margin.

(And just out of interest, what locomotive would be needed to haul such a load uphill? A Class 20 has a maximum tractive effort of 186kN, so couldn't do it. Would say a Class 37 be able to cope?)
I've lost a factor of g. Previous post edited thanks.

DelW

Established Member

Although the slope component of the weight is indeed around 187kN (pedantically, 183.45kN taking g = 9.81m/s^2), some of that will be resisted by friction in the bearings and local deformation at the wheel/rail interface. Unfortunately I don't think that's easy to calculate, and probably varies considerably depending on how well the bearings have been maintained.

Moving the rake upgrade would require enough tractive effort to exceed 183.45kN plus the friction.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Although the slope component of the weight is indeed around 187kN (pedantically, 183.45kN taking g = 9.81m/s^2), some of that will be resisted by friction in the bearings and local deformation at the wheel/rail interface. Unfortunately I don't think that's easy to calculate, and probably varies considerably depending on how well the bearings have been maintained.

Moving the rake upgrade would require enough tractive effort to exceed 183.45kN plus the friction.
Those factors will be very small at low speed, although there will be some "stiction" in the bearings especially if they haven't moved for a while. That disappears as soon as they move.

As a guidance, various standards are based on the assumption that an unbraked train might roll away on a gradient of 0.2%.

John Webb

Established Member
RAIB Report published on 20/12/21. Can be seen here: https://assets.publishing.service.g...nt_data/file/1040989/R092021_211220_Toton.pdf

SUMMARY:
At 04:42 hrs on 17 January 2021, a rake of 22 wagons, 21 of which were loaded, ran away from Old Bank sidings at Toton, Nottinghamshire. As it ran away, the rake passed a red signal, which generated an alarm that alerted the signaller. The rake passed a second red signal and, a short distance later, the leading four wagons derailed at the end of the run-out rails associated with a set of trap points. The trap points worked as intended to derail the unauthorised movement. The leading two derailed wagons stopped foul of the adjacent running line, although no trains were nearby when the derailment occurred. The rake of wagons travelled a total distance of about 0.6 miles (1.0 km) during the runaway.
RAIB’s investigation found that the rake of wagons ran away because no one had secured it with either handbrakes or scotches after it was stabled in Old Bank sidings the previous evening. This meant that the wagons were only being held by air trapped in their brake systems, which subsequently leaked away. The wagons were free to move because the incoming train they were part of had not been secured before its locomotive was uncoupled and because there was miscommunication between the ground staff on duty about who would secure the train. An underlying factor was that staff at Old Bank sidings were routinely leaving trains unsecured for short periods of time, but this was not identified by DB Cargo’s safety assurance activities. A second underlying factor was that DB Cargo had no clear process in place that defined the tasks required when trains arrived, and no process to provide confirmation that these tasks had been carried out. The consequences of the runaway were made potentially worse because the leading two wagons fouled the adjacent running line after derailing at the trap points. RAIB found that Network Rail’s risk assessment processes for both new and existing trap points only considered mitigations that were not applicable to uncontrolled runaway vehicles. These assessments also did not consider that runaway vehicles, once derailed, could travel as far as they did in this accident.
RAIB has made four recommendations. The first is that DB Cargo should establish the extent to which vehicles are being left unsecured in its yards and sidings, and identify and address the possible reasons for this. The second recommendation is that DB Cargo should review and improve its processes for trains arriving at its yards and sidings so it is clear when tasks should be undertaken, who is responsible for them and how their completion is communicated. The third recommendation is that DB Cargo should review its current arrangements for supervising, monitoring and auditing safety in its yards and sidings. The fourth recommendation calls on Network Rail to revise its risk assessment process for trap points, so that it considers the risk of an adjacent running line becoming fouled when uncontrolled vehicles run away.
RAIB also identified two learning points. The first reminds drivers and staff carrying out ground staff duties of the importance of securing vehicles prior to detaching locomotives. The second is a reminder that the primary purpose of trap points located on the exit from sidings, or on the exit of a goods line which connects to sidings, is to protect running lines from runaway vehicles

Sheridan

Surprised not to see any discussion of this so far, although perhaps it’s such a simple, and perhaps familiar, case (boiling down to a misunderstanding of rules and a failure of communication) that despite the incredibly serious potential consequences, there isn’t that much to add? Some of the discussion above focused on the relative merits of different scotches, something which proved to be irrelevant in this case.

Annetts key

Established Member

Just goes to show there are no guarantees where vehicles will end up during a derailment...trap points or no trap points.
The answer is in the report that has been linked to. Plus the same question is answered in post #11 above.

The real questions are:
  • How come it ended up with no one taking responsibility for ensuring the wagons were properly secured against running away?
  • How come Network Rail did not consider that wagons with no operational loco could run away?
Like in a lot of locations, the trap points provided are not very effective at preventing a run away vehicle moving at speed from fouling a running line. There needs to be a S&C crossing (frog) so that the wheels of the runaway vehicle(s) nearest the running line can be directed into the cess.

GC class B1

I don't believe any wagons have spring-applied parking brakes, partly because it's sometimes necessary to shunt them without the air hoses connected.
Spring applied parking brakes normally use Main Reservoir Pipe air to release them. It is possible to use them on single piped vehicles and they can be release manually without air being supplied, but there are a number of disadvantages. Most wagons have tread brakes and mechanically applied parking brakes (handbrakes) are a fairly simple solution.

I don’t understand what you are saying. Most wagons are fitted with handbrakes it will be local preference whether they are used. I wonder if they use chocks at Toton because they don’t trust the handbrakes.

What are these ‘chocks’ everyone is speaking of?
Are they similar to scotches? :lol:
Scotches and chocks are alternative names for the same item. Scotches was always the official name in the past but dilution in the privatised railway has resulted in incorrect terminology with the associated risk of confusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.