• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

29 new trains for Transpennine Express ?

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Possible, yes

How likely depends on if they are seen as inter-city / long distance / limited stop
But more realistically they are for regional / semi-fast services with some busy interchange stations, so doors at end not the best option.
Although I would argue that Newcastle to Leeds/Manchester/Liverpool is a long distance intercity journey, it is dominated by the regional intercity and commuter journeys in to Manchester & Leeds. Therefore an intercity layout with doors at thirds, much as it is with the 185s today, would be better. It could still be capable of 125 mph though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
Just out of interest what is the cost of including 3 or 4 diesel generator sets per train, x 29 trains, and maintaining them for 35 years and running a diesel fuelling system for similar period.

Just wondered if the plans are based on economics or nobody even considered the lifetime cost of adding diesels

The reason I ask is GWR have trains running with GUs isolated because no one seems to stomach cost of extra replacement ones
No idea personally but I’m sure my colleagues at TPE will get it all fully costed and learn from any past mistakes by other companies (they already have bi-mode experience with the 802’s remember).

Jack Hay

That’s all well and good but putting wires up at the terminal stations isn’t in the plans so tri-mode is the option which is being taken.
Yes, and the reason is clear. Putting up wires at terminal stations would be a job for Network Rail, which is government-owned, so the government would be paying and carrying the risk if the cost over-runs (as it sometimes does with Network Rail). Whereas when procuring bi-modes, or tri-modes, or quad-modes, the risk is with the train operator, so Network Rail always prefers to do as little as possible, and pass the risk elsewhere. If we had a proper vertically-integrated railway we would not have these silly, complex technical solutions. We'd be getting on with the rolling programme of electrification.

Snow1964

Established Member
Yes, and the reason is clear. Putting up wires at terminal stations would be a job for Network Rail, which is government-owned, so the government would be paying and carrying the risk if the cost over-runs (as it sometimes does with Network Rail). Whereas when procuring bi-modes, or tri-modes, or quad-modes, the risk is with the train operator, so Network Rail always prefers to do as little as possible, and pass the risk elsewhere. If we had a proper vertically-integrated railway we would not have these silly, complex technical solutions. We'd be getting on with the rolling programme of electrification.

You are missing the point that I was making. It was if the large quantity of diesel generators add X to train cost, and maintaining them costs Y over many years, there should be a point where the Operator says it will save us X+Y if Network Rail electrifies the terminal stations.

Therefore if X+Y is less than what it will cost Network Rail, it is in operators interest to pay for the works, giving the money to Network Rail to reduce Operators costs.

Doesn't matter if railway is integrated or not, why give money to engine manufacturers if you can give less to Network Rail instead.

Trainbike46

Established Member
You are missing the point that I was making. It was if the large quantity of diesel generators add X to train cost, and maintaining them costs Y over many years, there should be a point where the Operator says it will save us X+Y if Network Rail electrifies the terminal stations.

Therefore if X+Y is less than what it will cost Network Rail, it is in operators interest to pay for the works, giving the money to Network Rail to reduce Operators costs.

Doesn't matter if railway is integrated or not, why give money to engine manufacturers if you can give less to Network Rail instead.
Of course, with TPE being OLR it is also government owned...

Rick1984

A tri-mide regional express version of the class 397 sounds like a good fit.
Not as high quality as Stadler but would provide fleet commonality.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A tri-mide regional express version of the class 397 sounds like a good fit.
Not as high quality as Stadler but would provide fleet commonality.

Personally I'd be more strongly of the view that it should be a 24m "doors at quarters" bodyshell. Aside from Liverpool-Newcastle (if a few stops were taken out) TPE isn't a primarily long distance operation, it has a lot of passenger turnover at intermediates like Manchester and Leeds. That's what led to the design of the Class 185, which aside from the nonsensical layout of First Class marooning a toilet and the wheelchair space the wrong side and it being two vehicles too short is pretty well thought out - a doors at quarters bodyshell with an InterCity standard of interior. Quarters (e.g. Aventra) rather than thirds (e.g. most Civities) gives you a long centre section which has an InterCity "feel" but makes passenger turnover hugely quicker.

End doors only really work well, just as per buses with a single set of doors, where you've got a route where the primary origin/destination is at one end (i.e. London or the central bus station) and people are mostly only boarding towards it and alighting away from it. If there's significant passenger turnover en-route, it just doesn't work well, and if things are overcrowded it can get *really* unpleasant.

For low floor, drop the vehicle with the accessible toilet and the wheelchair spaces between the bogies as per the new OeBB Railjet.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Personally I'd be more strongly of the view that it should be a "doors at quarters" bodyshell. Aside from Liverpool-Newcastle (if a few stops were taken out) TPE isn't a primarily long distance operation, it has a lot of passenger turnover at intermediates like Manchester and Leeds. That's what led to the design of the Class 185, which aside from the nonsensical layout of First Class marooning a toilet and the wheelchair space the wrong side is pretty well thought out - a doors at quarters bodyshell with an InterCity standard of interior. Quarters (e.g. Aventra) rather than thirds (e.g. most Civities) gives you a long centre section which has an InterCity "feel" but makes passenger turnover hugely quicker.

End doors only really work well, just as per buses with a single set of doors, where you've got a route where the primary origin/destination is at one end (i.e. London or the central bus station) and people are mostly only boarding towards it and alighting away from it. If there's significant passenger turnover en-route, it just doesn't work well, and if things are overcrowded it can get *really* unpleasant.
Beyond this, in a world of wide intercarriage gangways, doors at quarters allows a pretty even distribution of doors down the length of the train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Beyond this, in a world of wide intercarriage gangways, doors at quarters allows a pretty even distribution of doors down the length of the train.

I was going to add that - thirds is actually *uneven*. If you have walk through gangways, quarters works better than thirds.

DanNCL

Established Member
There are no plans to electrify York to Scarborough or Northallerton to Saltburn so a multi-mode train is required. Diesel still has the best range off the juice but including battery power will enable a reduction in the usage of it. Think hybrid cars when off the juice.
Not necessarily. You could put new (battery) EMUs on the Newcastle route then use the existing 802s for Saltburn and Scarborough.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not necessarily. You could put new (battery) EMUs on the Newcastle route then use the existing 802s for Saltburn and Scarborough.

Or send them to another 80x operator who needs capacity - I'd imagine Lumo for instance would consider making an offer even if it meant removing the engines to give them their electric credentials, or perhaps GWR or LNER could use a few. Or even Hull/Grand Central.

It strikes me that splitting TPE into a proper InterCity service (Liverpool-Newcastle twice an hour, probably fewer stops than now, new long EMUs) and a regional service as part of son-of-Northern (everything else pretty much*) would make sense and could well happen under son-of-BR assuming Labour do that as intended. Which I suppose does take you back to end doors! :)

* Or actually maybe a faster, higher capacity 2tph Liverpool-Nottingham IC would make sense too, replacing the Norwich and the Cleethorpes with those operating as shorter connecting services, which might work for the 802s.

DanNCL

Established Member
Or send them to another 80x operator who needs capacity - I'd imagine Lumo for instance would consider making an offer even if it meant removing the engines to give them their electric credentials, or perhaps GWR or LNER could use a few. Or even Hull/Grand Central.

It strikes me that splitting TPE into a proper InterCity service (Liverpool-Newcastle twice an hour, probably fewer stops than now, new long EMUs) and a regional service as part of son-of-Northern (everything else pretty much*) would make sense and could well happen under son-of-BR assuming Labour do that as intended. Which I suppose does take you back to end doors! :)

* Or actually maybe a Liverpool-Nottingham IR would make sense too, which might work for the 802s.
They’d be GBR units by that point so a transfer to Open Access seems unlikely. CAF units coming for the ECML too, so the two likely cascades for the 802s would be Manchester-Saltburn/Scarborough or to the GWML.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Would it be possible to operate a North Trans Pennine network with 6 tph through the Manchester-Leeds core only using the 29 new trains?

It might mean cutting the Edinburgh-Newcastle portion perhaps? This is assuming the two stopping services go to Northern, and then the 802s could be cascaded elsewhere.

Bornin1980s

'Don't know much 'bout Geography. Does the Newcastle route mean less time away from the wires?

DanNCL

Established Member
'Don't know much 'bout Geography. Does the Newcastle route mean less time away from the wires?
Runs on the ECML so already wired. It would literally just be whatever sections of York-Manchester that remained unwired that the units would be away from the wires.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Runs on the ECML so already wired. It would literally just be whatever sections of York-Manchester that remained unwired that the units would be away from the wires.
Would there be a gap left after the current electrification projects complete?

mike57

Established Member
6 tph through the Manchester-Leeds core
The problem with this is also that 6tph doesn't allow paths for the stoppers, so the Inter City services end up making local stops between Manchester and Huddersfield, which is less than ideal as rolling stock needs are totally different. Timetable also collapses into chaos throughout the region in the event of any even minor disruption. 4tph 'TPE' services between Leeds and Manchester should be sufficent as long as the trains are long enough, ideally as long as current infrastructure at the Inter City stops can support. Then serve the intermediate stations with a proper stopping service using appropriate rolling stock.

The current upgrade between Dewsbury and Huddersfield will help the Leeds Huddersfield section but Huddersfield Manchester is going to be constrained by a two track railway for many years. (There are plans for 3 tracking I believe between Huddersfield and Marsden, but the bottleneck is going to be Stalybridge - Marsden.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
The problem with this is also that 6tph doesn't allow paths for the stoppers, so the Inter City services end up making local stops between Manchester and Huddersfield, which is less than ideal as rolling stock needs are totally different. Timetable also collapses into chaos throughout the region in the event of any even minor disruption. 4tph 'TPE' services between Leeds and Manchester should be sufficent as long as the trains are long enough, ideally as long as current infrastructure at the Inter City stops can support. Then serve the intermediate stations with a proper stopping service using appropriate rolling stock.

The current upgrade between Dewsbury and Huddersfield will help the Leeds Huddersfield section but Huddersfield Manchester is going to be constrained by a two track railway for many years. (There are plans for 3 tracking I believe between Huddersfield and Marsden, but the bottleneck is going to be Stalybridge - Marsden.
I should have been clear that I was meaning 6 tph after TRU has been completed, roughly at the same time these new trains should be in use. That would allow 4 fast, 2 semi-fast and 2 stoppers through the core. Also assuming the 2 stoppers would be with Northern by that point too.

I did look up the old 2019 timetable to see what running, and to answer my own question, it seems that 29 would be too few to run anything like the frequencies that are required, but 19 802s and 29 new trains could perhaps work all north and south trans Pennine services.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Would there be a gap left after the current electrification projects complete?

Potentially Heaton depot may be an issue the 802s currently stable overnight in their own area again away from the wires. I’m not sure if capacity allows for this to be changed however it may be relatively small change to rectify

Last edited:

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Potentially Heaton depot may be an issue. I believe the 802s currently enter on the unwired reception lines and stable overnight in their own area again away from the wires. I’m not sure if capacity allows for this to be changed
Stock like the 801 could be used where a small diesel engine is onboard for depot movements and in the case of a diversion and/or emergency. Could also be done with a battery.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
How is the ideal rolling stock different between the two stopping patterns though?
It will be a high performance multiple unit with comparable acceleration and top speed, so I'm not sure what would be different.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
4tph 'TPE' services between Leeds and Manchester should be sufficent as long as the trains are long enough,
A further thought, that post TRU 4 fast tph between Leeds & Manchester (with a single call at Huddersfield) will be enough. It’s just that they will be supplemented with 2 semi-fast (assuming calling at Dewsbury, Huddersfield and Stalybridge) and 2 stoppers.

mike57

Established Member
so I'm not sure what would be different.
Maybe similar 'under the hood', but 'Inter City' rolling stock should be suitable for longer journeys, probably end doors, provision of first class, more luggage space, seat reservation hardware. Units long enough to ensure plenty of capacity, possibly ~7 car units depending upon coach length, 125 mph capable for the York Newcastle leg. Local services will need doors at 1/3rds, no first class, and unit length will be constrained by platform length at the smaller stops Top speed 100mph, maybe 110mph. In a sensible world you would probably use a common platform, with different gearing and body shell fit out. Common systems and controls to reduce training requirements.

Snow1964

Established Member
Maybe similar 'under the hood', but 'Inter City' rolling stock should be suitable for longer journeys, probably end doors, provision of first class, more luggage space, seat reservation hardware. Units long enough to ensure plenty of capacity, possibly ~7 car units depending upon coach length, 125 mph capable for the York Newcastle leg. Local services will need doors at 1/3rds, no first class, and unit length will be constrained by platform length at the smaller stops Top speed 100mph, maybe 110mph. In a sensible world you would probably use a common platform, with different gearing and body shell fit out. Common systems and controls to reduce training requirements.

With modern ac motors, and power electronics, as it is effectively possible to draw as much electricity as required (unless Network Rail has limits), don't even need different gearing for 100 or 125mph. Also can have full regenerative braking for downhill and stopping.

It is also why personally I think multiple diesel-generators sets are expensive over lifetime of train (and a pain to contract to maintain them as GWR have found). Possibly better to save the money and donate it to Network Rail to fill in few bits beyond battery range,

Perfectly possible to have different configurations, even door positions, whilst basically with common type for systems/controls. The 444&450 are good examples.