• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

29 new trains for Transpennine Express ?

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Maybe similar 'under the hood', but 'Inter City' rolling stock should be suitable for longer journeys, probably end doors, provision of first class, more luggage space, seat reservation hardware. Units long enough to ensure plenty of capacity, possibly ~7 car units depending upon coach length, 125 mph capable for the York Newcastle leg. Local services will need doors at 1/3rds, no first class, and unit length will be constrained by platform length at the smaller stops Top speed 100mph, maybe 110mph. In a sensible world you would probably use a common platform, with different gearing and body shell fit out. Common systems and controls to reduce training requirements.

The trans pennine services would be better suited to a unit that has double doors at third or quarter positions to enable better flow of passengers on/off the train, an intercity layout and 125 mph capability is important too. If the new train was a 6-car tri-mode variant of a 397 with doors at thirds, it would be a far more suitable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bornin1980s

GWR have trains running with diesel-generators isolated because no one seems to stomach cost of extra replacement ones (more strictly, the maintenance contract is weak to save money). Sort of feels lessons haven't been learnt if they want to repeat adding diesel-generator sets, without costing how to maintain them
Wait, how many engines are out on a typical run? And how do handle the notorious Devon banks without all engines?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Maybe similar 'under the hood', but 'Inter City' rolling stock should be suitable for longer journeys, probably end doors, provision of first class, more luggage space, seat reservation hardware. Units long enough to ensure plenty of capacity, possibly ~7 car units depending upon coach length, 125 mph capable for the York Newcastle leg. Local services will need doors at 1/3rds, no first class, and unit length will be constrained by platform length at the smaller stops Top speed 100mph, maybe 110mph. In a sensible world you would probably use a common platform, with different gearing and body shell fit out. Common systems and controls to reduce training requirements.
End doors are hardly likely to go well on the likes of the Castlefield corridor or elsewhere on the intensely operated UK rialway system.
As for gearing, that is far less important than it once was. For example, see the Class 395 that accelerates like crazy all the way to 140mph top speed!

I don't know if we can really justify the hard line of "intercity" and "local" trains that is seen on the continent given how blurry the lines are in the UK.
I would prefer a single uniform fleet of high performance multiple units, and if SDO is needed at secondary stations, so be it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
End doors are hardly likely to go well on the likes of the Castlefield corridor or elsewhere on the intensely operated UK rialway system.
As for gearing, that is far less important than it once was. For example, see the Class 395 that accelerates like crazy all the way to 140mph top speed!

The 395 is really quite a good train and would, pretty much as-is, be suitable for TPE's new electric services. Though you'd probably want 24m vehicles and double leaf doors.

Trainbike46

Established Member
Assuming this is accurate, it makes sense - TPE already has CAF trains (the 397s), reports have been around that Hitachi has massively upped their charges, and with the LNER order recently CAF already has a design that would be very close to what TPE would need/want

I am hoping for level boarding in the actual design though, unlike the 397s and the new LNER units

The 395 is really quite a good train and would, pretty much as-is, be suitable for TPE's new electric services. Though you'd probably want 24m vehicles and double leaf doors.
is the 395 not superceded by the 80x?

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Well the switch to end doors and, on longer units, the dilution of the Shinkansen practice of virtually all axles being motored is a bit of an issue in that regard!

Even the five-car units have eight unmotored axles (like the 395s) but out of twenty, compared to the 395's twenty four.
The fraction is even worse for the 9-car units, which will hurt their acceleration performance.

Ideally we'd have units with all axles motored, but those are likely to be significantly more expensive.

Mgameing123

Assuming this is accurate, it makes sense - TPE already has CAF trains (the 397s), reports have been around that Hitachi has massively upped their charges, and with the LNER order recently CAF already has a design that would be very close to what

I am hoping for level boarding in the actual design though, unlike the 397s and the new LNER units

No its just a guess based on the fact how CAF pays the Tory party millions.

And your source for that is...?
Corruption just corruption. Its well known that CAF is paying the Tory government millions.

Neptune

Established Member

Corruption just corruption. It’s well known that CAF is paying the Tory government millions.
Have you got some sort of axe to grind against CAF as a company?

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member

Corruption just corruption. It’s well known that CAF is paying the Tory government millions.
Party / Government. Two very different things - one of which (especially if “well known”) would almost certainly result in any award being null and void.

Neptune

Established Member
Party / Government. Two very different things - one of which (especially if “well known”) would almost certainly result in any award being null and void.
Other manufacturers give to other parties. What makes this so different I wonder.

Snow1964

Established Member

Corruption just corruption. Its well known that CAF is paying the Tory government millions.

Is this some sort of unfounded rumour, or fact.

I looked down the political donations that was published 7th March and cannot find CAF in the big donations.

Can you please show your evidence

Energy

Established Member
Is this some sort of unfounded rumour, or fact.

I looked down the political donations that was published 7th March and cannot find CAF in the big donations.

Can you please show your evidence
See this thread. Other manufacturers have made donations but nowhere near the monetary value as CAF have donated.

The LNER procurement would have been done mostly by LNER staff and civil servants, with only ministerial sign off. Aside from CAF donating, we have no other evidence of bias towards CAF. Word on this forum is Hitachi are charging high prices and long lead times on new AT300s so it isn't suprising that they didn't win the LNER procurement.

Grumpy

I assume that anyone advocating more 397's has never experienced travelling on one.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Ordering from CAF feels like a missed opportunity to keep Newton Aycliffe going with more orders, especially as TPE already operates the 802.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I assume that anyone advocating more 397's has never experienced travelling on one.

I think they should have fewer tables and more airline seats, but otherwise I like them. Nice interior (OK, Sophias, but they haven't collapsed yet), fully window aligned in Standard and big windows with no stupid blinds to cause arguments.

Purple Orange

On Moderation

I think they should have fewer tables and more airline seats, but otherwise I like them. Nice interior (OK, Sophias, but they haven't collapsed yet), fully window aligned in Standard and big windows with no stupid blinds to cause arguments.
If the issue is about the interior, that can change. If I had the choice of picking the type of carriage I would travel on, it would always be a 185 from today’s interiors, but that is to be refurbished and it might mean my opinion changes.

The real question is whether a 397 is the right type train irrespective of the interior. If it is possible, I would like to see 6-car tri-mode 397s with doors at quarters, and 2+2 seats similar to the 185s.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
The ride quality isn't too bad either, in my opinion, certainly better than other CAF models I've been on.

Snow1964

Established Member
DfT has issued its pipeline spreadsheet again 10th May

Extracted the latest data for Transpennine

Reference Number :CAMS1842
Contract Title “Transpennine Trains Ltd"
Short Description : Procurement a single multi-mode fleet of 29 units.
Commercial Strategy : Procurement of new rolling stock to support TRU and the longer-term decarbonisation of the network..Fleet size of 29units, with an option to procure up to 55 units in total. The additional units reflect an ask from DfT Passenger Services, a separate business case will be undertaken should there be a requirement to procure additional units above the 29.
Existing Contract : New requirement
Estimated Procurement Start Date 01/12/2023
Estimated Contract Commencement Date 30/01/2026
Estimated Contract Length (in months) 144
Estimated Contract Value £600,000,000
Planned Procurement Sourcing Route (level of competition) : Negotiated procedure

Sorcerer

The seating could be better (as could a lot of train seating in general) but my sole experience with 397s was a pleasant one, and my friend who frequently travels on them is quite fond of them as well. They're certainly better than the 802 fleet, and TPE already have a relationship with CAF and can just as easily procure some bi-mode/tri-mode Civity stock. That's why I believe that CAF are the likely bidders if selecting a tri-mode unit since the only other option is the more expensive (albeit higher quality) Stadler fleet.

Trainbike46

Established Member
The seating could be better (as could a lot of train seating in general) but my sole experience with 397s was a pleasant one, and my friend who frequently travels on them is quite fond of them as well. They're certainly better than the 802 fleet, and TPE already have a relationship with CAF and can just as easily procure some bi-mode/tri-mode Civity stock. That's why I believe that CAF are the likely bidders if selecting a tri-mode unit since the only other option is the more expensive (albeit higher quality) Stadler fleet.
While I am a big fan of the Stadler fleets I've been on in the UK, and mostly in other countries as well, there are at least 3 companies that could offer a trimode, and probably more that could design one:
- CAF (like LNER trimode)
- Stadler (FLIRT)
- Hitachi (80x/81x)

Sorcerer

While I am a big fan of the Stadler fleets I've been on in the UK, and mostly in other countries as well, there are at least 3 companies that could offer a trimode, and probably more that could design one:
- CAF (like LNER trimode)
- Stadler (FLIRT)
- Hitachi (80x/81x)
I didn't realise Hitachi offered tri-mode units beyond concepts, but a quick Google points me to a fleet for Trenitalia being able to run on batteries, albeit only under 100km/h (equivalent to 60mph). I still think CAF are the likeliest option though seeing as LNER chose them for their future fleet. It'd be a natural follow-on order seeing as both LNER and TPE are under OLR operations.

Trainbike46

Established Member
I didn't realise Hitachi offered tri-mode units beyond concepts, but a quick Google points me to a fleet for Trenitalia being able to run on batteries, albeit only under 100km/h (equivalent to 60mph). I still think CAF are the likeliest option though seeing as LNER chose them for their future fleet. It'd be a natural follow-on order seeing as both LNER and TPE are under OLR operations.
I fully agree CAF is a likely contender for various reasons.

Hitachi was also going to do a trial on an existing 80x (but that has been quiet for a while so who knows what is happening there)

anthony263

Established Member
Ordering from CAF feels like a missed opportunity to keep Newton Aycliffe going with more orders, especially as TPE already operates the 802.
Hitachi don't seem Interested. LUMO and Grand Union have both tried ordering new or additional units/ carriages and Hitach quoting stupid high prices. I heard Grabd Union wanted to order additional 805s on the back of Avanti's order