• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

313 drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Am on one now please tell me this horrible noise can be cured also the atw 158 out yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I suspect as is often the case ml is asking two completely unrelated questions in the same thread and not doing a very good job of communicating it.

However I would suggest that question 1) what is a drill like noise that can be heard on 313s and is it going to be fixed? Whilst 2) is the first ATW 158 out of refurb yet?

ml seriously mate you need to be clearer when you're asking questions.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Forty Five
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
that was a random answer to a question ml might ask in the future

Eng274

Am on one now please tell me this horrible noise can be cured also the atw 158 out yet?

A decent pair of earplugs, and 158s are very much 'in' until they are replaced in 20 years time I'm afraid :razz:

387star

On Moderation
I was using my new phone when I delivered this new thread. It is touch screen and I am still not used to it so prefer to write in as few words as possible. I realise it isn't very clear though...

I refer to Southern 313s. This 'drill' seems to recur at regular intervals. I realise the 313s are old and have different electrical motors? However the noise is the loudest I have experienced on any mainline train and quite obtrusive.

Regarding 158s I refer to Arriva Trains Wales (ATW) units. I did not mean to join threads on this matter but I had trouble finding the old thread and I'm eager to see the first pics! Will have to continue to wait then :P
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I should think the drill sound is the compressor running, they are quiet noisy on 313's.

Sorry what is a compressor?

Also I have DMU and EMU handbooks so will not be asking how many 444s there are though I admit to being obsessed with the workings of these trains

Last edited:

Eng274

The compressor is there to provide air pressure for the braking systems, and the doors if they are pneumatically powered.

On a DMU and diesels in general this compressor is driven directly by the engine, which is why it isn't as obvious due to the engine noise.

Chris125

Established Member
Compressor's were once very noisy and often produced a very distinctive sound, the 442's 'dugga-dugga-dugga' noise is a classic example - however modern units use a screw compressor which is vastly quieter.

Chris

Fincra5

Established Member
Yes as said its the compressor. Of course being 313s some are noisy some aren't quite as noisy.

Status
Not open for further replies.