• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

313 Railtour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffer

It would be the 23:41 to Seaford on their last day of operation. Though that comes back to Brighton empty (not passenger service).
Brighton are due to be playing at home on Sat 20th May so, unless it gets changed for TV coverage, the Seaford services are likely to be 377 workings on that day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

With the rate at which withdrawal is happening I'll be surprised if there are any units left by the time a tour is run

Foxxle

With the rate at which withdrawal is happening I'll be surprised if there are any units left by the time a tour is run
I thought it has only been 3 units withdrawn so far?

Edit: my railforums doesn't seen to update for a while after I view so new messages don't appear, sorry that I've repeated what others have said

Last edited:

TheHSRailFan

I've been told its been moved to the 20th of may however I am not sure.
Apparently the class 321 farewell tour is on the same day?
There is no confirmation of this. All we know about was that BLS accidentally put the 313 tour page up and took it down a few hours later with no info on times or anything, just the date. can't comment on the 321 things because I don't know but it seems very likely to be something like this. I think as soon as it's solid on the database it can be difficult to change but i can't say. I have a few friends who do check RTT in the depth of data to see and have found nothing alluding to the 313 tour.

~~NEW POST 17:52~~

Link to the Fixture
only an hour or 2 later...
1678211619975.png

Last edited:

ATrainSpotter

There is no confirmation of this. All we know about was that BLS accidentally put the 313 tour page up and took it down a few hours later with no info on times or anything, just the date. can't comment on the 321 things because I don't know but it seems very likely to be something like this. I think as soon as it's solid on the database it can be difficult to change but i can't say. I have a few friends who do check RTT in the depth of data to see and have found nothing alluding to the 313 tour.

View attachment 130448
£62 for what?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
£62 for what?
It’s the fare. The link in post #100 goes to more details, including the proposed route:

Brighton P3 (PU 08.59) – Carriage Road – Preston Park P1 (RM) – Hove – Worthing – Havant – Fratton – Portsmouth Harbour P1 (RM) – Fratton P2 – Havant – Barnham P1 (RM) – Bognor Regis Middle Siding (RM) – Barnham P3 – Littlehampton P3 (break / RM) – Arundel Jn – Worthing P1 – Hove P2 – Up Cliftonville Spur – Preston Park P1 – Haywards Heath P4 – Three Bridges P3 (RM) – Haywards Heath P2 – Lewes – Eastbourne P1 (RM) – Hastings P3 – Ore Up Siding (RM) – Hastings P1 (RM) – Hastings Signal 70 (RM) – Bexhill – Eastbourne P2 (RM) – Lewes Up Siding (RM) – Newhaven Marine (RM) – Lewes – Haywards Heath P1 – Haywards Heath Dn Siding North (RM) – Keymer Jn – Brighton P3 (SD 18.32)

WizCastro197

Established Member
Why is this tour more expensive than the 455 one, yet that one was arguably more expansive with tickets in the region of £45.50 or something like that?

Route is there too:

From https://www.branchline.uk/current-fixtures.php

PEPs on Tour: Sussex Rambler - Saturday 29th April 2023
We are delighted to announce a charity railtour starting and finishing at Brighton. The charter, operated by Southern, will feature a pair of Class 313s and will mark the sterling service the 1976 / 1977 built units have provided. The end of the line for the BREL York PEP stock is rapidly approaching, so we have put together a ‘Coastway’ special with unusual lines to enjoy! There will be an off-train lunch break of circa one hour at Littlehampton.

There will be no catering facilities on board but you are welcome to bring your own food and drink with you.

Remember there are no toilet facilities on a Class 313, so comfort breaks will be provided along the way. Consider the amount of fluid you consume carefully.

There will be a charity raffle, with all proceeds donated to Railway Children and Chestnut Tree House Children’s Hospice. The Network SouthEast Society will provide their well stocked sales stand, and a number of special souvenirs will be available to purchase.

This charter is expected to fill very quickly!

All times and routing are indicative until confirmed by Network Rail. Final routing and timings are usually confirmed by Network Rail five days before travel and will be enclosed with your e-ticket.

Brighton P3 (PU 08.59) – Carriage Road – Preston Park P1 (RM) – Hove – Worthing – Havant – Fratton – Portsmouth Harbour P1 (RM) – Fratton P2 – Havant – Barnham P1 (RM) – Bognor Regis Middle Siding (RM) – Barnham P3 – Littlehampton P3 (break / RM) – Arundel Jn – Worthing P1 – Hove P2 – Up Cliftonville Spur – Preston Park P1 – Haywards Heath P4 – Three Bridges P3 (RM) – Haywards Heath P2 – Lewes – Eastbourne P1 (RM) – Hastings P3 – Ore Up Siding (RM) – Hastings P1 (RM) – Hastings Signal 70 (RM) – Bexhill – Eastbourne P2 (RM) – Lewes Up Siding (RM) – Newhaven Marine (RM) – Lewes – Haywards Heath P1 – Haywards Heath Dn Siding North (RM) – Keymer Jn – Brighton P3 (SD 18.32)

Fare £62.60

Foxxle

For an under-18 that'd cost £93 :'(, whilst I understand that the money is going to charity, that is a steep price. Ah well, as someone has said above, the 321 last day is apparently on the same day so maybe that will be another option.

WizCastro197

Established Member
For an under-18 that'd cost £93 :'(, whilst I understand that the money is going to charity, that is a steep price. Ah well, as someone has said above, the 321 last day is apparently on the same day so maybe that will be another option.
Not true, it would cost £31.30. The website states at 50% discount for under 18s, not an increase.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not true, it would cost £31.30. The website states at 50% discount for under 18s, not an increase.
However from the booking page:
"Please note that we are unable to accept bookings from under 18s unless accompanied by an adult."

So the £31.30 fare only applies if someone else books a place for £62.60

WizCastro197

Established Member
However from the booking page:
"Please note that we are unable to accept bookings from under 18s unless accompanied by an adult."

So the £31.30 fare only applies if someone else books a place for £62.60
Ah right, didn't see that, sorry. So either pay the £62, or drag someone along with you to get a 50% discount, but that won't end up cheaper in accumulative costs.

trainmania100

Established Member
Can Lewes up siding take 6 cars? Assume so as I've seen a 2x73 + 4 car test train in there.

Can't actually see anywhere if it's 3 car or 6

Kite159

Veteran Member
Can Lewes up siding take 6 cars? Assume so as I've seen a 2x73 + 4 car test train in there.

Can't actually see anywhere if it's 3 car or 6
From the tour advert:
"The charter, operated by Southern, will feature a pair of Class 313s"

Annoyingly, I'm having to book somewhere to stay in Eastbourne area (lot cheaper than Brighton) due to replacement buses on the Saturday between Andover & Basingstoke, my original idea when I booked the tour was a 09:00 start would be easy to reach from home on the 05:27 train, however it will either be an early morning drive to Basingstoke to risk SWR running something semi-fast to Clapham or risking the replacement bus.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member

Or just book one full price ticket at £62

MrJeeves

Established Member
Happy to say I've booked this, and will be enduring the horrible early-hours wake-up for the tiresome approx 15 minute travel down to Brighton from Burgess Hill. :D

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'd have expected something a bit more exciting than that, route-wise. Nothing particularly noteworthy in there other than Newhaven Marine (which is just a very short section of track, anyway). I suppose they are just running where it's easiest operationally, but it would have been great to get in a run to some of the London Terminals, as happened on the 455 tour.

Along with the higher price I think I'll give this one a miss.

MrJeeves

Established Member
I'd have expected something a bit more exciting than that, route-wise.
Yeah, I agree to be honest. The price is steep for what the tour is, but I still have no doubt that it will sell out in a few days (at most) simply because of the PEPs being PEPs!

I've been to all the places that the route will go (except from Eastbourne to Hastings, and the spur to Newhaven Marine) but I thought I might as well choose something local to me as my first railtour. Hopefully it won't be my last!

CEPG

Link to the Fixture
View attachment 130448
Just for yourself and others wondering on here, yes 321 and 313 farewells going to be on the same day.

Strangely, they seem to have been launched in a backwards way to each other, with the 313 formally announced and live for tickets but with no RTT paths (yet) and the 321 not formally announced but GA ruining their own surprise by uploading all the timings yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.