• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

313 Railtour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Was on the railtour myself. Was a good railtour overall. Was able to get off earlier which turned out to be a blessing in disguise as i headed back on the Marshlink service departing eastbourne at 17:49, however the train suffered a technical fault midway towards Rye and all passengers where asked to depart at Rye. No onward transport and a 1hr delay to catch the next train. If i had stayed on the tour i should of got the 20:49 which should of been the same train meaning i would not got home until 23:10. Delay repay request has been put in.
Unit didn't have enough fuel in .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class15

On Moderation
Well, what a fantastic day out that was. I really cannot thank all involved enough for making it a memorable day. Superb route and excellent service throughout.

Some mutterings on the tour that this was 313201's last act as it is out of miles. A shame if true as it deserved the honour of last passenger service. If the NRM don't go for this unit, I really, really hope someone else does. An historic unit in so many ways and it rode brilliantly today. Who cares if it doesn't have a pantograph?
Surely 313201 will be used on the final day?

Quick question did we cover Platform 1 at Worthing on the Littlehampton to Three Bridges leg? TIA

prod_pep

Established Member
Quick question did we cover Platform 1 at Worthing on the Littlehampton to Three Bridges leg? TIA
Yes, we definitely did cover Worthing platform 1.

Surely 313201 will be used on the final day?
Nothing officially confirmed as far as I can see, but there are plenty of claims online that 313201 is out of miles and finished.

If not 201, using 313213 or 313215 on the last public journey would be a nice nod to the past as these two units worked the first passenger Class 313 journey back on 16th August 1976.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather

Nothing officially confirmed as far as I can see, but there are plenty of claims online that 313201 is out of miles and finished.

If not 201, using 313213 or 313215 on the last public journey would be a nice nod to the past as these two units worked the first passenger Class 313 journey back on 16th August 1976.
Or even 313.212, 204 or 205 as these were early "refurbished" units to start work on Southern in 2010 - and they still had roller-blind destination displays at that time...

prod_pep

Established Member
Or even 313.212, 204 or 205 as these were early "refurbished" units to start work on Southern in 2010 - and they still had roller-blind destination displays at that time
The above three plus 202 and 207 were actually unrefurbished at first with tired old Silverlink interiors as well as roller blind displays. I remember the vinyl artist's impressions of the new interiors on the walls showing what was to come. Quite a culture shock compared with the 377s, let's be honest.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
The above three plus 202 and 207 were actually unrefurbished at first with tired old Silverlink interiors as well as roller blind displays. I remember the vinyl artist's impressions of the new interiors on the walls showing what was to come. Quite a culture shock compared with the 377s, let's be honest.
Oh I thought they were refurbished as they carried Southern livery.... Maybe that was just to start the service then(?). I think I had 202 also but didn't get 207 for quite some time after as I had other priorities apart from the Sussex Coast

Thanks, was obviously distracted at that point!

Herefordian

Wholeheartedly echo the comments made already. Fantastic railtour. Brilliant.

Slightly miffed not to be in 201, but never mind. :)

prod_pep

Established Member
Oh I thought they were refurbished as they carried Southern livery.... Maybe that was just to start the service then(?). I think I had 202 also but didn't get 207 for quite some time after as I had other priorities apart from the Sussex Coast
Yes, remarkably those five went into traffic first without refurbishment and they also had a basic version of Southern livery without Coastway vinyls. I have the dates buried somewhere but they ran unrefurbished for a fair few months. 313206 and 210 were the first refurbished ones in traffic in October 2010, these also the first with Coastway decals I think. 313207 was definitely the last unrefurbished one in service and it concluded with the PM Eastbourne run although I can't remember the date.

One more good choice for the last public working would be 205; as the first Southern 313 in traffic, this would nicely bookend their stint on the coast.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
I've been looking for the dates as mine are very sketchy. I was too busy photographing the first few in traffic (and the Silverlink liveried ones out on test) to actually travel on them and look at the interiors. I definately remember no decals at first so pleased I managed to get what I could at the time.

Was a long time until I saw 205 in traffic but I remember 201 being one of the last to be done and at least one of the driving coaches carried the wrong carriage number - 62953 I think instead of 62593... I have a photograph of 101 at Brighton somewhere (and 108)

Last edited:

that1pepfan

On Moderation
313201 has just enough mileage to have 1 more day (maybe slightly limited) on the seaford runs, she was meant to be out yesterday but they drafted 209 instead so there is hope that she will exist on the 20th of may

prod_pep

Established Member
313201 has just enough mileage to have 1 more day (maybe slightly limited) on the seaford runs, she was meant to be out yesterday but they drafted 209 instead so there is hope that she will exist on the 20th of may
Thanks for the info. Let's hope they can pull it off and get 201 out one more time.

TheHSRailFan

Late to say this because the tour knocked me out and I had work to do yesterday...

WOW, that tour was amazing. Reminds me of the 455 tour last year which was equally as amazing. Having the added benefit of being with friends and people I know made it better for me. I know certainly some people wouldn't think it was anything special but I certainly believe everyone on the tour enjoyed it. I was only really getting into the tour scene when the Great Northern 313 tour went on (I am a Hertford loop local) but certainly a good proper send-off before having one last send-off on the 20th this may.

E759

Another great EMU tour, keep them coming! Hard to get my head around riding 4001/2001 on the Shepperton branch back in 1973 and the PEPs still running today!

D365

Veteran Member
Sorry to break the news but 201 has been "De-Accessioned", A.K.A is no longer designed for NRM preservation. There were plans to refit the interior to something more original but they fell through.

121 now has the honour of being designated, being the last dual voltage example and having 80% of its original interior but with its recent sale who knows where it'll end up and how it will be long before it's retired.
Do you have a source for this "de-accessioning"? Would be interesting to read.

If 121 has more original features, then I suppose it makes sense to keep this one, but I thought Alstom "extensively" rebuilt it for the ETRMS role (?)
Don't know how I missed these posts in February. Here's your source.
THE Railway Heritage Designation Advisory Board (RHDAB), the body which recommends vehicles, artefacts and records for designation and preservation, has taken the decision to replace No. 313201, which is due for withdrawal later this year, with Network Rail test unit No. 313121.
The pioneer ‘313’ was originally designated as it was the first production ‘PEP’ unit to be construc- ted, although, having undergone a refurbishment when it was transferred from London Overground to Southern, it lost a lot of its original features in 2010. Explaining the decision by the RHDAB to instead designate the Network Rail set, a National Railway Museum spokesperson said: “The board became aware of a unit (313121) which retained its original 1970s seating and other internal features and is equipped with both overhead power and third rail current collection equipment. Consequently, the decision was made to change the designated unit as it best represented the original condition of the Class 313.”

Mgameing123

Despite their foibles and many people's dislike of them, I believe the 313's should be given a good sendoff and I'm sure a nice run from Brighton to Pompy (via the Bognor Regis and Littlehampton branches) would be a fitting end.

I know the 313's will only have worked on Southern for 13 years by next May but don't forget that 313.201 will be a grand old age of 47 years. How many EMUs have ever lasted that long, and in original formation?

Of course, not everyone will agree but I would wager that if there is a tour, it would be a sellout.
1972 stock.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Nice shot. Bit of a battle of the tones at Lewes earlier, front and back cab horns.
Really enjoyed that video! The paintwork on 313201 is positively gleaming in what must have been a superb day sunshine wise.

As the old SR used to say on its posters 'South for Sunshine'

Is there an easy link to the tour timings / route anyone can point me to without going to too much trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.